Painting/Tinting Plastic LED Cases? Arsenal Young Justice Arm

EatPrayNub

Hello, Everyone!

I'm new to this community but incredibly impressed by the art I've seen from many of you. I'm also relatively new to prop making, so I've got a question for you!

So: I've got one hand (I was born without a right hand), and I've actually got a bionic arm! My costumes typically revolve around that fact, so I'm currently building an Arsenal costume from Young Justice. Arsenal's arm has two large red lights on each side, and I found some red LED's that look pretty much perfect for it (see below). However, while the lights look perfect in the dark, in daylight the red color is barely visible and they look fairly lame. Is there any way for me to color or tint the clear plastic casing so that I get that bright red color even in a well-lit area? Not sure if there's any paint or material I could use to get that effect.

15873542_10212111715533239_7214459125688250812_n.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Capture.PNGCapture 2.PNG

You could use some thinned paint for coloring. I think any dye/tint you add is going to restrict more light. It may be worth scratch building something with better leds. Welcome to the RPF.

iDye Poly works on most plastics. I used it to dye the visor on the Code Geass helmet I just posted about. It's easy to use and cheap, though messy. You'll want to work outside. Also, it might take more than one packet of dye depending on how dark as you want it.

It's available at fabric stores and some art supply shops. Make sure you get iDye Poly. Regular iDye doesn't work on plastic.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back