Help requesteded detailing Rogue One dlt-19

macropod80

Does anyone out there know (care) what the ugly big things are that have been stuck on the ends of the dlt-19 blasters carried by the Death Troopers in Rogue One?
cu doovers.JPG
cu doovers 2.JPG
Some months ago I decided I didn't have enough half-finished projects collecting dust, so on a whim I've started a printed dlt-19:
dlt-19 WIP 3.JPG
which is actually getting much closer to completion than I usually manage..
dlt-19 WIP 1.JPG
dlt-19 WIP 4.JPG
dlt-19 WIP 2.JPG
Being in Australia, this project presents numerous hurdles, not least being legal ones (plastic toy space-guns are potentially evil-terrorist-prohibited-weopons in this country). But my current problem is trying to identify found objects that were, presumably, found on the other side of the planet.
Looking at the only two photos I can find on the net (someone please tell me there are others!), the only thing I can positively identify is the pair of 38mm split shaft collars around the barrel jacket. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much standardisation in the OD and thickness of these things, but they're easy enough to scale fom the pics. Underneath these looks to be a messy arrangement of bits of steel angle and screws to attatch the cylindrical bits: from front to back these seem to be a screw-on front end of a small torch/flashlight on the left; then a thing with dimples (inverted on the torchless side); then perhaps just a bit of tube and finally what might be some sort of AV cable plug?
Any ideas anyone? Or better photos?
Next problem is the sight.
cu sight.JPG
I gather from discussions by experts elsewhere on this site that a lot of 'airsoft'parts have been used on the weapons this time around. (Airsoft guns are prohibited absolutely in Australia.) Certainly the mounting rail looks like the sort of thing hundreds of Evilbay sellers have on offer. Is the sight itself also an available airsoft accessory?
And I see the right side of the feed cover has been blanked off this time around, with just a simple plate. But what have they got on the left side?
cu cover.JPG
Clearly something more creative than than old folded aluminium box (hooray!) It's profile seems to echo the shape of the feed mechanism above - so a scratch-built thingo? Is the detail on the Hot Toys or Sideshow versions to be trusted?
ToySideshow-Death-Trooper-Statue-002.jpg

16195177_1847668158810874_5514119653625394643_n.jpg16265981_1847668215477535_4843541987293274514_n.jpgLook up a fellow Aussie named Tom Campbell on FB or you can check out the Death Troopers(builders group) and look up the DLT-19X and you can contact Tom personally and he will sell you the files to 3D print the entire version. Or if you are like me and already have a DLT-19 and only need the 2 flashlights and attachments then contact Denis Vorobiev at The ArmoryShop online or Facebook and he will sell you the 3D printed parts to assemble the addon lights and tubing that is needed to make the R1 DLT-19, which as I have already mentioned they are calling it the DLT-19x. Pictures added were originally taken by Tom and added onto the FB page I mentioned. This work has been all done and scanned by Tom, I take no credit, just passing along the info. Hope that helps...

ps-I actually got to chat with one of the actual actors who played one of the Death Troopers on the R1 movie, Victor Botha, he stated that they were in fact working flashlights. Super nice guy to talk to and also has a FB page. Just an fyi.

How can there be another person in Melbourne doing what I'm doing, exactly the way I'm doing it? Damn that morphic resonance! My day is ruined. Though I gain some comfort from the fact his flash-hider appears to be 6-sided, when it should be 8.
Now I have to agonise over whether to finally give in to the dark side and sign up to Facebook. I've resisted for so long...
Mr Vorobiev looks interesting, but I'm really after reference for making stuff myself, rather than buying someone else's. I don't imagine he's going to share his sources with me.(And I'm not convinced his grenades on Etsy match the reference photo he includes.)
Thanks for the leads!

If you wish to continue avoiding FB, which I can understand. You can find a ton of info, including Tom on the 501st Special Operations website. You'd have to sign up, but under the Death Trooper thread you will find any and all info about the said blaster.
And you are welcome...

Hundreds looking, but still no-one with any ideas yet?
Here's one - could the squarish thing on the left side:
Thing.JPG
be - at least in part - one of those mounting things on the back of a computer monitor?
things.JPG
No, obviously not the ones in this particular pic, but that kind of thing? It's the four holes in the corners that look to be about the right spacing that prompted the thought. And yes, I know the holes should be in a square - and aren't - but remember the illustration is of a toy, not the real thing. (And the toy clearly has other details that are not quite accurate.) Or it could be the mounting plate that goes on the wall end of a mounting arm, perhaps? There are countless variations of these things, and it may well be an older style if it's been salvaged from something no longer in use.

So we're up to 550 interested lurkers so far. It's more fun if you join in, guys. I'll get things moving, shall I?

Of course, everyone noticed straight away that the scope mounts are unique, right?
cu sight.JPG
The screws holding the top arch down don't go in vertically like every other mount on the market - they're inclined outwards so the screw heads are flush with the surface. Every replica I've seen so far has missed this detail. I reckon this is the real thing:
SCOPE-RINGS-ARCHED-WEAVER-25mm-HIGH-PRO.jpg
They come from a UK gun-stuff supplier: www.ant-supplies.com
This model is actually called Darth. If I were a prop-maker on a Star Wars film and knew there was a sight-mount called Darth, that's the one I would use. Just 10 Pounds for a pair, or if you're really tight, the photo and dimensions given on the website are enough to model a perfect copy. Which is what I did while waiting for the real ones to arrive from the other side of the world. Really good service from the seller, too. Sadly I'm sans camera at the moment, but will post photos. (In retrospect I suppose I should be doing a build diary..)

That sight photo also shows some of the (already broken) bendy-pipey detail that has been so ill-advisedly added along the barrel-jacket. The 90degree elbows look like 1/4inch copper elbows used in refrigeration systems:
s-l225.jpg
Outrageously expensive, though, if you get them off Evilbay. I haven't been able to find a local refrigeration supplier that actually stocks 1/4 inch.

Last edited:
Also finally found a couple of photos that shed a bit more light on the doodad that's been stuck over the left-side feed:
aCaptureas.JPGaCapture54redfh.JPG

These are from the website of Joe Menna, the guy who (digitally) sculpted the prototype for the 1/6 action figure. As pretty as these images are, sadly they have to be taken with a grain of salt, since the MG - while highly detailed - shows numerous inaccuracies and embellishments. (Actually he's added some nice details I wish had been on the real thing.)

So, WTF is it? The four corner holes are obviously for mounting it on a surface. The donuts maybe suggest counter-sunk (wood?) screws, so wall-mounting? The inner four holes have what look like cable-ties through them - perhaps holding on the vertical rectangle behind the central square opening. And the indents along the top and bottom edges could be for snapping on a cosmetic cover, because it's an ugly-looking thing. My latest guess is it's an old-style 'wall plate' that would have had a switch or socket assembly screwed behind the central hole. Any UK readers living in old houses please flip the covers off all your wall outlets to see what they look like inside!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back