1/29 Revell Snap-Tite Max T-65 X-Wing

INVAR

Sr Member
I happened to pick up one of these when Amazon was dumping them for about $15 last Fall. I turns out that was a real steal because these were re-boxed Revell Germany models that retail for about $90. This is 1/29 scale which is just a hair under the 1/24 Studio Scale for Episode IV and about an inch smaller than the BMG Hasbro X-Wing.

It is a snap kit - and was not very accurate in terms of panel lines or detail. What detail it did have was augmentable and the cockpit was relatively accurate in terms of shape.

I detailed the cockpit by adding some hoses, greeblies, the navigation tube and wire. I created waterslide decals for the instrumentation on the sides, and because it was not studio accurate, I did play a bit with the design. Luke was totally repainted from the crazy paint job that came from the kit.

I stayed very close to the ILM filming model in terms of painting and weathering, and added a bit of detail to the wing edges to match the full scale X-wing set piece in the Hoth Hangar when Leia is instructing the pilots on the strategy to cover the transports. Some additional greeblies were added to the inside wing engine areas and detailed a bit further than the ILM models were. Also darkened it up more with grease, grime and some rust - just because I like it that way.

The model is versatile in that it can be displayed with S-foils open in flight mode, or displayed in Hangar mode with removable landing gear, front fuselage panels and the two rear engine cowlings swivel open from closed mode to pop in landing gear. I like the option available, even though it limits the accuracy. I have a Bandai T-65 to build yet that will make up for the lack of details on this kit.

Because of the scale, I dug into this model to give myself experience in lighting because the Zvezda SD II was coming out, and I also have a Bandai Falcon in the box that will also get the lighting treatment. This was big enough a scale for me to try my hand at LED's, fiber optics and internal battery power.

The battery is a button cell holder stashed in the fuselage. The panel below the nose cone is not glued down, so I can lift off the section and replace the button cell. 4 Red 5MM LEDs were run to both engines with drill holes through the back side into the engines and out to the exhaust tubes. I could not accurately carve out the afterburners so I painted them with reflective neon white to create the illusion they are lit. I did not want to get crazy with aftermarket parts on this one - because of the other kits still in boxes.

2 bright white LEDs were wired into a tube in front of the canopy fuselage and 12 .5MM fiber was run to holes drilled out with a pin vice and micro bits. The tubes were covered in electrical tape for light-blocking and the FO was inserted in the other ends and run out through the holes in the cockpit. I did not get crazy with multiple colors or sequence lighting - because I just wanted to get the experience I knew I would need to light the Zvezda and the Falcon.

Because I have a lousy camera on my phone and the video camera stills are horrible, I did not do a WIP. As it is these pics following I apologize for in terms of quality - but it is the best I can offer for review.

I will spray this with future to seal the weathering and detail and then lightly mist dull coat over the finish - and then ... some minor detailing on the landing gear and finished!

Now - onto the Zvezda!

Finished15.jpg Finished14.jpg Finished13.jpg Finished12.jpg Finished11.jpg Finished7.jpg Finished9.jpg Finished8.jpg Finished6.jpg Finished5.jpg Finished21.jpg Finished19.jpg Finished22.jpg Finished20.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back