the biggest crappy series endings

The island wasn't purgatory - i thought - the place where those who died and returned (like charlie, etc) was purgatory. They experienced something in life so intense (the island) that it brought them back together in the afterlife (purgatory) where they waited for all of themselves to be present before moving to the final destination.

YES. Guess what, kids. If you didn't like the ending of LOST because "They were in purgatory the whole time!"...

Well you weren't paying attention.

I find almost every person I've talked to that hated the ending of LOST had ZERO idea what happened in the end.

I would be tempted to blame it on the storytelling, if that many people "didn't get it" but I also believe you shouldn't have to dumb something down for the masses to ingest.

But I don't see how it could have been made any more clear either... I mean it's flat out explained in a big exposition scene...

No they were not dead the whole time... Yes everything on the island happened. There are no questions that needed to be answered that weren't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll always believe that the original idea for LOST was that they were in Purgatory the whole time. Theories started focusing in on that early on, none more blatant then when looking at Jack's statement, "Three days ago, we all died." Once those theories started floating around, I believe, in an effort to say that wasn't the case, they came up with their "flash sideways" idea.

Despite the ending, LOST remains my all-time favorite show!

Firefly. Only because there was no more. I felt as crappy as one could feel about how a series ended.

Seinfeld. That show was already a dumpster fire by the end but it had a really insipid ending that was so contrived I don't even want to watch the episodes I enjoyed anymore.

How I Met Your Mother... wtf was that? I know they "boxed" themselves in with pre-filmed footage, but seriously... all they had to do was ignore it...

That's definitely up there. Over time, I think they could have ended it with the finale they had, but they needed to structure the entire last season differently to show Ted's life with the Mother, and how her death affected him, and then how he and Robin became close again, AND how it would work for them this time (especially after all of the personality differences they had between them throughout the show).

Otherwise, just watch the alternate ending on the DVDs, and skip the bulk of the craptastic Season 9.

Lost & penny dreadful.

also American horror story. season 1 & 2. Never watched anymore seasons passed those 2 seasons. the whole show ending up being a dumpster fire. Lots of promise at the start and just then started pouring more gas as it reached its final.

AHS is actually kinda fun now. It sort of went round the bend in terms of starting off sort of serious, then got crappy, and then just went full-on in that direction until it kind of looped around to become fun in a batspit crazy kind of way. At this point, you just have to accept that the show is intentionally nuts and over the top, and embrace it for what it is. This past season was actually a lot of fun, I though.

Im going to go with Dexter, True Blood, and the robocop comics from the early 90's, and even today. Horrible endings, such a bummer. Especially with the new robocop comics they put out, I guess they lost the licensing for it because it ended after 12 issues, with no closure. They just stopped making them.

I didn't watch Dexter, mostly because it had become crap by that point and I'd given up. The show took a huge nosedive after it lost its original showrunner at the end of Season 4, and just never recovered. The writing was SO bad. I kept hoping it'd get better, season after season, but nope. And by the last season, I just...couldn't be bothered anymore.

Firefly. Only because there was no more. I felt as crappy as one could feel about how a series ended.

What really got me was the movie. Serenity was great, but Whedon had to go and Whedon all over the place with Wash. The thing is, on a show, he'd pay that off over time. In the movie, it's just a cheap gag and it TOTALLY took me out of the experience. Just ruined the entire thing for me. I gather the comics sorta kinda make it ok, but I haven't read 'em yet.

Seinfeld. That show was already a dumpster fire by the end but it had a really insipid ending that was so contrived I don't even want to watch the episodes I enjoyed anymore.

I thought it was lame, but then sitcoms like that tend not to have amazing finales. Like, there's no real overarching plot to the show, so...what are you gonna do to wrap it all up?

The Walking Dead... Yes, I know it is still on. I stopped watching two seasons ago because it never ends. It is the same thing over and over. So, for me, it had a terrible never ending.
I gave up on it around the time they escaped terminus. I was tired of the "who is going to get captured and somehow escape" of the week.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC

I gave up on it around the time they escaped terminus. I was tired of the "who is going to get captured and somehow escape" of the week.

Sent from my Motorola StarTAC
I know there is a lot of fans out there. I was one too. But, for the love of God. Isn't it just a joke now? Worst never ending series ever.

What really got me was the movie. Serenity was great, but Whedon had to go and Whedon all over the place with Wash. The thing is, on a show, he'd pay that off over time. In the movie, it's just a cheap gag and it TOTALLY took me out of the experience. Just ruined the entire thing for me. I gather the comics sorta kinda make it ok, but I haven't read 'em yet.
I rarely rewatch Serenity for a number of reasons and that's one of them.
The other thing is that, after all those years, the actors' chemistries changed.
Kaylee was more bawdy. It's as if she was now more like Jewel Staite.
Simon suddenly became ballsy enough to stand up to Malcolm. He was no longer the sheepish beta defined by his charming adoration of his sister.
I missed the Kaylee and Simon from the TV show.
I'm sure I mentioned before that I didn't need to see the Alliance taken down by our heroes discovering a singular central conspiracy - that the entire 'Verse including Reavers and the Alliance wrapped up into a neat bundle. I would have preferred the Reavers to have remained mysterious and terrifying. The Reavers in Bushwhacked were way scarier than they were in Serenity. I wanted the Alliance and the former Independents to remain in an uneasy coexistence in peacetime. I wanted the entire 'Verse to remain the same as it was in the series. It was perfect the way it was.

Banshee. Knowing it was the last season I wanted some closure on who Hood really was and his mysterious past. Instead it was just another season and he rode off into the sunset at the end, could've been so great.

I agree that the ending of Dexter was a big disappointment. I loved that show, and the ending just didn't fit the format of the rest of the show. It didn't even really make sense.
Ditto on Enterprise. I wasn't crazy about the ending of The Sopranos either. I have no qualms with the ending of Firefly, as there really was no ending...just a truncated season by the idiotic powers-that-be at Fox. I WAS sorely saddened by the loss of Wash and Book in Serenity. But at least it was understandable, given the world it's set in.
All these things frustrate me.

I'm gonna go with "Clone High"... it ended on a CLIFFHANGER. Never got closure.

I generally dislike any series that ends with everyone moving on... or getting new jobs... that kinds of thing. Cheers was interesting because things did change, but it ended like any other day at the bar. "We're closed!"

But Sam would open it the next day. No "Sam sold the bar... Norm died... Cliff got hired by the CIA... Rebecca married rich and moved.... Woody died of stupidity..."

Life goes on...

What about movie series. I would say the Matrix movies. Started really good and just kinda died down by the end. I think they didn't want to give that happy ending that Neo beat the machines, yah, its all good now. But it then ended on a way that made you think, ok, so how long can this peace really last for, making the whole thing pointless.

What about movie series. I would say the Matrix movies. Started really good and just kinda died down by the end. I think they didn't want to give that happy ending that Neo beat the machines, yah, its all good now. But it then ended on a way that made you think, ok, so how long can this peace really last for, making the whole thing pointless.

It's crazy cuz the Matrix was SCREAMING for sequels... that I wish never happened. I feel they tarnished the original.

The ending to Enterprise. With all of its many problems, I still thought it was coming into its own when that b**** slap of a series ending came about. I know I am in the minority on this, but I would have liked to have seen another season with a newly refit NX-01 and the Romulan War, with Shran as a new crew member.

I always thought they might work up to the Romulan War arc, so that like the Dominion WAr they could tell all kinds of tales ... and the war would be solidifying force for the new Federation.

But no. Someone decided to wrap it all up with a stupid pink bow. Talk about conceptus interruptus.

My nomination: DEAD LIKE ME. The first season was a great arc, being Charlie's story about "I had to die in order to get a life." But it was tough, she had a rough trip. Then Bryan Fuller went on to other humiliations (the great WONDERFALLS that was cancelled after only 3 nights on-air, even with a whole season in the can), and they decided to make things ... nicer. Charlie drove a classic Mustang. There were interesting character insights, some revelations about Daisy and their boss, but still ... it was missing some of the dark tone of the first season.

Last edited:
I agree the ending of the last Matrix movie was damned near nothing more than a way to start the Matrix online game that never caught on that had you trying to get Neo's body back from the robots.

I agree the ending of the last Matrix movie was damned near nothing more than a way to start the Matrix online game that never caught on that had you trying to get Neo's body back from the robots.
Never even played that, so didn't know they tried to continue the story in a way. I even bought a used copy of Enter the Matrix for PS2 and then never even played it.

Another vote for Enterprise. By including Riker and Troi the way they did they turned it into a Next Generation episode and robbed the cast of Enterprise of having their own final episode.

And another vote for Dexter as well. Solo4114 was right on the money with his comments in post #24--the show never recovered from the loss of the showrunners after Season 4, and the end result was arguably the worst final episode in television history.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back