Waterworld National Geographic Magazine

FrankWalker

WW186901.jpgWW186881.jpg

Does anyone have any info on this cover?? I couldn't find it as a real issue, so I'm assuming it's a custom cover... So now to find that photo, and can rebuild... Any ideas?

That's funny you mention this Frank as I was wondering the same thing the other night. I pulled that movie off the shelf and put it on while I was working on something.

At the time it came out I thought Waterworld was "so-so". After recent viewings though, I really like the movie. I think it got a bad rap in a lot of ways; they said it was a budget breaking disaster, an ego-driven Costner flop, a rip-off of other movies just on the ocean, etc. First of all, I dare someone to try filming on a ocean and see what happens to the budget. Second, it takes a big personality and someone who can think big to lead and deliver something like that to the screen and third, while it may be derivative of other stuff in some ways, it's also very original and entertaining in it's own ways. Dennis Hopper is hilarious as the Deacon.

I would bet that the cover is custom made for the movie.

;-)
Jon

We have a lot of old Nat Geos and I looked through all that we have and I couldn't find any like it.

I love Waterworld. Especially the extended version!

I've actually always loved the movie! Also, seeing the Universal studios show many times over the years has only made me like it even more. Honestly, I think it's a hell of a lot more interesting and creative than a lot of the crap that comes out these days.

Definitely a custom cover. The yellow box around one main picture for NG started in Sep 66. In Sep 2000 they stopped using Vol xxx No xxx labeling. As of that time they were in Vol 198 which is about 89 years short of the volume 287 as best as I can read from the scan. Spend your time searching for similar beach images elsewhere as it wasn't any of the magazine covers published ones before the film was created.

It appears to be a composite of the Punaluu Black Sand Beach in Hawaii (surprise surprise) and waves. Something like https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Punaluu_Black_Sand_Beach,_Hawaii,_USA5.jpg

Look at http://www.travelgumbo.com/fileSend...imageType/LARGE/inlineImage/true/100_5258.JPG to see about that angle but with different lighting conditions.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back