Darksaber & Satine portrait

Torron

Hey all!

After watching Star Wars Rebels episodes Visions and Voices and Trials of the Darksaber, I would like to make the darksaber itself (with the stand) plus the Satine Kryze cubist portrait as it was both seen in Maul's cave. I think it could make a great display!
satine_maul.png darksaber_rebels.png

DARKSABER
I liked the darksaber since it was introduced in The Clone Wars and now it has an updated Rebels design!
I read through inspiring threads by hydromatic93 and halliwax
And how to create the lightsaber, hmm? 3D priniting was my first idea! Though I have never worked with it nor I've never made a 3D computer model. But we should learn something new every day, right?
So I downloaded a 3D graphic program and sat down to work. The beginnings were hard, but I could make out this:
v1_1.jpg
Not super accurate, but it would do as a starting point for my next try. Then I created this, the second version:
v2_5.jpgv2_6.jpg
What's your opinion? Do you see any mistake I don't see?
I am deciding which end should I use:
this one?v2_8a.png or this one?v2_8b.png
Then I need to find a company that could print it for me, because I don't have a 3D printer. But it shouldn't be a problem :)

SATINE PORTRAIT
This will be easier, as I only need to buy a canvas. I think I'll paint it resembling the one seen in TCW:
the_mandalore_plot.png
sides.png satine_head.png
I took some screenshots from Visions and Voices which turned out to be a pretty good reference material! From that I could draw a simple sketch:
IMG_0154.JPG
(I don't know why it is turned like this but nevermind)

The stand will be made from styrene and plywood I have from my Gonk droid project.

More to come!
What do you guys think? Let me know! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
that is super impressive!!! great determination! what 3d software did you use to make this? it came out great!! :thumbsup

Thank you! I used Autodesk 123D design. I can confirm that it is great for beginners :)

excellent, i watch james from Xrobots use that. and figured thats where i would start as well. fingers crossed that i will be getting a printer in april. i am so anxious to start 3d printing. you did an amazing job with this model!

excellent, i watch james from Xrobots use that. and figured thats where i would start as well. fingers crossed that i will be getting a printer in april. i am so anxious to start 3d printing. you did an amazing job with this model!

You're lucky with the printer. I am also so eager to work with it! And it was pretty fun to make the 3d model :D

Not a progress, but I managed to buy the canvas for Satine's portrait:
57a67216c5c9cb41108478583139cf72.jpg

It's pretty huge - 70x100 cm! That's going to be interesting :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i never realized that was satine's portrait. that really makes me think differently on what maul is thinking... keeping the portrait of the ruler of mandalor, who he murdered in front of the man she loved... twisted

i really look forward to this portrait!

i never realized that was satine's portrait. that really makes me think differently on what maul is thinking... keeping the portrait of the ruler of mandalor, who he murdered in front of the man she loved... twisted

i really look forward to this portrait!

Yes, it is somehow strange and brings the evidence of Maul's obsession with Obi-Wan.
I'll see how it comes out :)

Thank you! I have seen both of them but they will definitely come in handy.

Last edited:
Today was dedicated to Satine's cubist portrait. I managed to start and finish it!
I also ordered the 3d print, so my darksaber should be here soon!

Now for the pictures:
Preparing the silhouette:
ea497a0561e7b9fa7e64be3ece479f66.jpg

She was a little creepy and greeny as I started:
248c8c441bcbb106f820f4cf3ed61e80.jpg

But I fixed it soon:
21865773f28fdf9cd4e132a1f431db23.jpg

dfbd753e75b48a83a2fa41685affa04d.jpg

And Satine in all her beauty:
c3173a7e85bc95a123ab84a94f0f85b1.jpg

I look forward to it standing alongside the saber!
What do you think about it?

Today was dedicated to Satine's cubist portrait. I managed to start and finish it!
I also ordered the 3d print, so my darksaber should be here soon!

Now for the pictures:
Preparing the silhouette:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/ea497a0561e7b9fa7e64be3ece479f66.jpg

She was a little creepy and greeny as I started:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/248c8c441bcbb106f820f4cf3ed61e80.jpg

But I fixed it soon:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/21865773f28fdf9cd4e132a1f431db23.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/dfbd753e75b48a83a2fa41685affa04d.jpg

And Satine in all her beauty:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170211/c3173a7e85bc95a123ab84a94f0f85b1.jpg

I look forward to it standing alongside the saber!
What do you think about it?

HOLY CRAP! i love!!! how this came out!! what a job!! what kind of paints did you use?! excellent work there buddy!

Thank you! I am surprised by my painting skills myself!!
I used common temperas I had bought in a stationery shop.

I've never used those before, i have always painted in acrylic and oils. oils for many many years. im going to have to research temperas

I could sand it after some hours and it turned out better than I expected! The surface is now nice and smooth.
But I applied a second coat of spray putty nevertheless
you know, just for sure and for some minor flaws :)
d79a3aad6bb8f9bdbe36ffddfbab98ce.jpg

5526cd36e9fb44f85b3ae342199fafb7.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back