How Much Does Your Local Theater Charge?

Gimpdiggity

Master Member
So I was reading the Rogue One thread and I saw some mentions of ticket prices. It got me wondering about ticket prices across the country, and around the world.

So, what do you actually pay per ticket when you go see something in the theater?

I pay $6 per ticket at the small theater near my house. It's not the greatest theater in the world, but there's nothing wrong with it either. $6 tickets, $2 drinks, and $2 popcorn on Tuesdays gets you the film and food for $10 per person, and those drinks and popcorn have free refills. They also have a rewards card so we get a free drink or popcorn every few visits. To top all of this off, if we go the Tuesday after a film releases, I have never seen more than maybe 15 people in the theater. It's great!!

I have a feeling, though, that this pricing and crowd level that I am so used to is probably in a vast minority.

So, what kind of prices are you guys and ladies paying?

I am in Florida and Rogue One's ticket price was $6.80 at the second biggest theater in my town. I am self employed so I go during the week to avoid any crowds and very frequently the number of viewers is 10 or below.. It's my goal to never see a movie in the theaters on the weekend again for the rest of my life!

I don't do the drinks and food thing. Never understood the popcorn thing if I'm being perfectly honest, so can't say I have any idea the prices there personally, but a friend I go with usually spends about $6 on popcorn and a drink. I think if you got the normal sized stuff it would line up with about what you're paying and I think they do have free refills too.

For my decent theater I pay $8 per adult ticket. And roughly $5 for a medium drink. A large popcorn is $8. The only time you can get a free refill on the drink is if it's a large and you use the tab on the side of your cup to do so. Same with the popcorn. Limited to one free refill on each one only. The theater prices here in West Texas suck pretty bad sooooooo..... Yeh. We don't get deals or anything either. The closest thing we got to that here is that every Friday, highschool students with their school ID'S get $4 off their final price. Wish we had theater prices like your here. Its outrageous.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

So, I live in Washington State, where we have a fairly high cost of living, and a minimum wage of $11/hour (recently raised from $9.45/hour).

My small-town theater (almost 100 years old!) charges $9 for a regular ticket, $7 for matinee. $14 gets you 2 large sodas and a bottomless popcorn. You can also get a free movie or soda/popcorn combo after 10 tickets bought.

As for chain theaters... it seems to run between $12-14 for a regular ticket, $10-13 for a matinee, and AMC does $7 tickets before noon. 3D is usually about $5 or so more. No clue on food, I don't buy at those.

Sweden: One theatre chain has practically monopoly after its main rival folded ten years ago.

IMAX 3D: 225 SEK = $24 USD, loaner glasses included
Real-D 3D: 120, 140, 155 SEK = $13-$16.50 USD, glasses not included (15 SEK)
2D: 105, 120, 140 SEK =$11- $16 USD

I looked at the prices for Rogue One, Passengers and Sing. Rogue One has the most expensive tickets and the only one of them in the only IMAX theatre over here. Sing was the cheapest, Passengers' is in-between.

There is always reserved seating, that you can select on-line or in a vending machine when you reserve/buy tickets.
No cheaper matinees - most theatres are not open until evening anyway.

I did not include the tier of "VIP" seats, in larger chairs with more room to the left and right, and with free pop-corn and you can also buy beer in a special lobby which is otherwise not sold. Those are more expensive and only in Real-D theatres AFAIK.
No cooked food (thankfully). Overpriced sodas, pop-corn, crisps and candy.

Last edited:
Pay? Whats that?? :lol

Nice to know the owner of my local Theatre!
HA! No wonder you see movies so damn much!

Down here in San Diego at an AMC its 14 bucks for a non matinee, and there are only matinees before noon, and those are 11. I dont see 3D movies, and I dont go to IMAX cause its too damn expensive. Now that China owns it, who knows what the prices will be. Depending on some movies, we like to go to Cinepolis, but its about a 45 minute drive, and those tickets are 23 bucks, but its assigned seating in one of those fancy theaters, so you dont have to wait in line etc. We dont have any tuesday deals anymore, that ended in the 90's. I dont buy food there, I remember a medium soda was 6 bucks during the summer, and a large popcorn was 10. No refills but they might have changed that.

The big chain theater here has varying rates. I think Tuesdays are still 5 bucks, matinee is 7-8 bucks, and full price is like 11.50, I think.

We have a dollar theater across the river but it's rinky-dink, dirty, and, well, worth every much as that dollar. It's been some time since I've been there though, so I can't even be sure if it's still there.

Sacramento Ca area..... 10.50 standard, 11.50-13.50 3D, IMAX 3D 15.50-17.00 per ticket. $6.00 sofa $8 popcorns

Central Washington State, anywhere from $8.50 to $11, thats from standard to 3-D. We have a theater that does $5 Tuesdays year round, but $11.75 for a large popcorn and $7 drink defeats the purpose of a bargain, so I usually snack before then go to a movie. Mondays or Wednesdays are the best to find a smaller crowd in my area. We also have a 21+ theater, it sells hotwings, burgers, everything you can find at a bar, its connected to a pub. It sells everything BUT popcorn!

Man. Some of you guys have it good, super cheap movies. I would be at the theater all the time! Looks like me and swgeek have the highest prices so far. Surprise surprise...Southern CA...yay... :rolleyes

I like my local AMC. they converted over to a Deluxe now, with big reclining seats. much larger food and snack selection. upgraded the screens and sound systems. this theater has been around since the 70s so im very happy i recently paid

digital standard: adult $13.69

3D: adult 17.69

the closest IMAX is in Rhode Island for me, its a bit of a hike but they charge

IMAX: adult 13.50

again they dont have the big reclining seats, its a old theater. and it has stadium seating but extreme stadium seat. what i mean by this is, you have to sit with your legs spread open, the person in front of you, their head is like in between your knees.

reminds me when you go to a hockey game and sit up real high, the chairs are so tight together... if your date wears a skirt forget it!

i rarely ever do 3D. i am a rewards member, so you get a believe a dollar discount on tickets, being a member you also bypass the online movie ticket fees. and every dollar you sends goes into a points system which you can redeem for tickets/food. so its great

before this theater was remodeled if there was a big movie i wanted to see i would head north to boston and hit up a Showcase deluxe. to me this is the nicest theater I've ever been to. its HUGE, it reminds me of a mini airport... the theater is 3 floors of theaters. 1 ground level, and the 2 others are under ground, how the emergency exits work i dont know... that is always a concern to me so i always get a theater on the ground level.. but that theater is like nothing I've ever seen

Last edited:
Wow danny, your theater is almost twice what everyone else posted.
We average around 8 dollars but I take the wife and kids. You need to move to Florida so you can work all year round paint and all. Lol

Wow danny, your theater is almost twice what everyone else posted.
We average around 8 dollars but I take the wife and kids. You need to move to Florida so you can work all year round paint and all. Lol

swear to god man, its stupid expensive... i figure it costs 60 bucks to go to the movies. 2 tickets is practically 30 bucks with massachusetts sales tax. then the snacks... a small soda is 4.50. a bottle of water is 4 bucks.. funny story

last time i went to the theater with my brother ( he was in the 400lb club) he was at the counter and bought a bottle of water for his date, when the cashier said thats 4 dollars. he said " no im sorry, i dont want the whole case of water, i just want 1 bottle" LOL ill never forget that lol

yeah so 4.50 for a SMALL soda(x2), popcorn is around 5 bucks, you get a candy thats early 6 bucks, may even be 6.50.. add a dollar for free refill... FORGET it if your date wants a alcoholic beverage... that just gets stupid....

what i do find happened with this upgraded theater is. this AMC is in the mall, it was run down from the 70s. seats broke, carpet ripped off the walls. known for catching bed bugs (dead serious it was in the news) i'd only go there on a handful of times, if i got a gift card mostly.

what i hated was since it was a old cheap theater every little punk is in there throwing stuff, making noises cell phones on... when they upgraded all my friends were talking about it and telling me i had to go, all i could think of was paying more money and being stuck with the punks...

well i guess the punks parents dont want to pay these high prices, because now it seems that everyone that is in the theater is there for the movie. so in the long run i dont mind paying a little extra if im not going to have to play policeman and shut the kids up ( which i did one time the movie was... a car movie... off a video game NEED FOR SPEED, and the whole theater cheered for me, i pretended to be a police officer off duty and with my family, so i could have gotten into trouble but i didnt and it worked, they could have been clapping thinking i was a cop, either way the kids stopped)

the BEST PART of all this is, they have this semi friendly frisk which is being talked about being illegal... but they aren't actually frisking you..so this is why they get away with it. if your wearing a jacket they ask to unzip it and hold it open to show your not carrying any rifles on you.

in the long run i abide by this, anywhere i go i dont complain about security searches. its for our safety. but in this case.. the theater does this to turn away all outside food.. hiding candy under your coat or stuck in your pants comes to a end in this theater... i talked to the cop on duty (because this theater also has a bar in it) and he said a lot of college kids (college is right down the road) try and bring their own beer in..

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back