Clock pendulum motor... HELP!

jacobzking

Hopefully this is the right place for this thread, but I need a little help with a prop. I built a large "13 Hour Clock" from the Haunted Mansion. The pendulum is a long piece of light wood with a devils face carved in to the bottom of it. I need to find a motor that emulates a clock pendulum. I bought a large pendulum motor, but its just too hard to get it to work because the pendulum is not balanced like a normal pendulum would be.

Any ideas?
Screen Shot 2016-10-17 at 11.45.01 PM.png

It's a BEAUTIFUL clock !

I know some other Haunted Mansion threads where the person would love such a clock.

Sadly, I don't know about pendulums.

If the pivot was down on the pendulum a few inches, you could put a continuous duty, slow moving, AC, quiet clock motor with a cam to push and pull the top
of the ''shaft''. So it rocks back and forth.

Hi jacobzking,
There are 120V AC clock motors on eBay with varying speeds.
The one I show in the video below is a 120v AC 60hz, 3w, 1.5 rpm continuous duty motor.
It is very quiet and has good torque.
It turns very slow, so I would make a cam with multiple hills and valleys to make a pendulum move back and forth
several times per one revolution of the cam.
The pendulum would have a pivot point a few inches down from the top which would press against the cam using
a spring to hold it against the cam body to push and follow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvztNCy5grk

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not familiar with wiper motors and there lever set up so I will try my best to explain my idea with an AC continuous duty
1 rpm motor.
If you have the means to make a cam that will attach to the motor shaft, you can use it to push the pendulum somewhere at the upper
portion and use a spring to have it return to follow the cam.

You can also attach the pendulum to the cam via a small lever that will hold it while it swings back and forth.
These are just some thoughts, and of course there are other ways to do it.

clock pendulum cam.jpg clock pendulum cam 2.jpg

The cam / motor set up can be above or below the the pivot point.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back