Looking for tips on pearlescent paint

Yarok

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on this forum so a small intro is in order: my name is Patrick, i've been modelling for more than 25 years and touched almost every subject available, building, painting, converting and sculpting anything from military warbirds to gunpla to wargaming figurines, all in various scales. Right now my main interests are 1/32 warbirds, Maschinen Krieger models and large scale repaints (Sideshow collectibles, Jakks Pacific toys and such).

But today, i have to do a repair job for a client on this Zelda Skyward Sword statue of Link on his Loftwing bird:

irmm_zelda_skyward_sword_link_loftwing.jpg

The statue took a tumble and one of the wings got smashed in pieces. Now, the glueing/puttying/resculpting part is easy. The thing that worries me most is the repaint job.

As you might see on this closeup shot of the Loftwing's neck and breast, the white areas actually have a pearlescent sheen:

irmm_zelda_skyward_sword_link_loftwing_detail_bird.jpg

Now, I've tried Tamiya TS45 Pearl White spray paint once in the past, and although quite pleasing on its own, the effect isn't really like the statue.

Do you have any advice or tips for a particular brand of high quality pearlescent paint (can be in a jar or in a spraycan that i'd decant in another container before airbrushing).

Thanks advance!!

Patrick

Good call on the Alclad, Patbaysa, but i think the effect will be too "rainbowy" there. The look of the statue is more of a... natural pearl i guess?

Im doing a tie fighter this week and i figure that a white/bone background will pearl up a misty alclad specially when it is sealed with future or any other acrylic top coat.

If you find a better solution please do hook me up

Daler rowney FW pearlescent ink is really subtle and durable,you can get both transparent and opake,..you might want to give that a try.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for these other options!

I was at my LHS yesterday so i picked up a Tamiya TS65 Clear Pearl, might as well give it a shot since i may have another use for it already.

Cheers!

you can decant the pearl paint into a bottle then thin it way back so that its almost colorless... use it kind of as a wash??? just thinking about how I'd try to do it.

Jedi Dade

Liquitex makes both a series of pearlescent acrylic paints in small bottles, and just the pearlescent additive that you can mix with a compatible paint of your choice. Alas, the metallic flakes are fairly large, so it does not work well in the small scales, e.g. 1/1000, but otherwise can provide the effect of interest. I have done experiments where I mixed the pearlescent additive to what is now called SC Johnson Floor Care Multi-Surface Finish and applied it to the model where the base coat/s have been applied & cured. Liquitex paints are sold in the large craft stores, A.C. Moore & Michaels, and potentially more accessible than hobby shops, which alas, appear to be going the way of the dodo.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back