Death Star Model

anamorphicWayne

Sr Member
In the mist of the UFO models, I thought of tackling the Death Star.

I found two kiddie's fish aquariums at a local flea market that would work perfectly for the two hemispheres. Next, I got 14" needle point frames and chopped them down to fit within the two domes. I then had to find the vertical center and epoxy in a stem to accommodate the interior lighting. The main dish was next. I then mapped out the building structures and used painters tape to mask out each section. Using a toothbrush, I splattered dark/light grey paint in two separate passes. I then airbrushed in the panels and other larger details.

Next, I went in and drew in lines, painted small panels/darken windows and other details. For the lit windows/docking bay, I use the back of a sharp X-acto knife and carefully etched off the paint. I converted an used novelty lamp into a base and wired in the batteries and a switch. The interior lighting is a set of five bright LEDs, which I hot glued to the end of the stem.

Overall, I'm very pleased on how it turned out. :D

100_5074.JPG 100_5080.JPG 100_5082.JPG 100_5118.jpg

100_5122.jpg 100_5132.jpg 100_5138.jpg 100_5139.jpg

100_5166.jpg 100_5169.jpg 100_5170.jpg 100_5217.jpg

100_5221.jpg 100_5352.jpg 100_5354.jpg 100_5364.jpg

100_5372.jpg 100_5391.jpg IMG_2836b.jpg

Wow man, looks amazing! How did you cut out the circle for the dish, and is the dish made from the piece you removed?

Wow man, looks amazing! How did you cut out the circle for the dish, and is the dish made from the piece you removed?

After I mapped it, I used a dremel to make the first few holes and then craved out the rest. Luckily, the dome's plastic wasn't too brittle. No, I had to make the dish from scratch using styrene.

Very awesome! What did you use for the equator to seperate the domes? Is it a clear disk of some sort?

This was the first thing I saw after coming into work off the Holiday, and it is just the sort of eye-opening wonderment I needed. Unbelievable.

Very awesome! What did you use for the equator to seperate the domes? Is it a clear disk of some sort?

Thanks Robiwon.

In the matte paintings of the Falcon being drag in, the equator has these sections that jet out. So, I added in short blocks all along the equator of the lower dome and then ran thin clear plastic all around the inside. So then the upper dome would just fit over and rest on the blocks.

screenshot 01.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back