Looking to fix a Urethane cowl, several issues... Looking for advice

Napjr

Hello!

I purchased from a mexican seller a Urethane DOJ Cowl... really bad quality, but great sculpt... to later find it seems to be a recast from Tundra Designs :cry

Anyway, since im doing a budget build, i wasnt expecting to paid that much (it was either this mask, or the oversized Rubies), and other local options look... even worse

Some pics:

IMG_2102.JPGIMG_2104.JPGIMG_2106.JPGIMG_2108.JPG

Comparison with Tundra here:

I think i might be able to sand most of the extra paint and irregularities

Would it be a good idea to repaint using Plastidip? Bed Truck Coating for a texturized look?

There are some thin walls around the neck area, because the urethane didnt reached there, im worried they could break eventually. Is there a way to reinforce those spots?

Last edited:
I'm not really sure how that would work out using plastidip spray on urethane. Or if sanding would really help the blemishes. You could try it on an area not really noticeable first perhaps? If that works then try different spots. Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge chimes in.

Here is the truth...
If that cowl is urethane for all intents you are rather screwed. Unless you can get that paint or whatever it is off of it. As far as reinforcing it with more urethane that will cost you right around $30 or so for a sample kit. And it may not work. As far as painting neither plastidip or bumper coating will stick to urethane. Paint is very expensive for urethane... and it isn't something you can just go the hardware store and buy.
This is not meant to be an insult but in this hobby you do typically get what you pay for. I understand being on a budget. But sometimes it is best to wait so you do not waste your hard earned money.
I would put that cowl up for sale and try and get your money back... or make the seller give you a refund.

There is a material made by Smooth-On that is a urethane adhesive that is two part urethane adhesive, that works well when done right. There are a few tricks to glueing torn Urethane, one is making sure it's well clean, and that it registers well as it bonds. The material is called Ure-bond, it isn't cheap, but it does the trick. You can even add Smooth-on so strong black to it to pigment it.

Here is the truth...
If that cowl is urethane for all intents you are rather screwed. Unless you can get that paint or whatever it is off of it. As far as reinforcing it with more urethane that will cost you right around $30 or so for a sample kit. And it may not work. As far as painting neither plastidip or bumper coating will stick to urethane. Paint is very expensive for urethane... and it isn't something you can just go the hardware store and buy.
This is not meant to be an insult but in this hobby you do typically get what you pay for. I understand being on a budget. But sometimes it is best to wait so you do not waste your hard earned money.
I would put that cowl up for sale and try and get your money back... or make the seller give you a refund.

No insult taken, i get it, sad truth is i cant get a refund, sucks to be in Mexico sometimes

I have better cowls on the collection, but with the current exchange rate, and shipping costs, buying a new cowl is really prohibitive for the moment. The idea was to make a cheap costume anyway just for fun

Still, i think i can make it work, the cowl is supposed to be old and used on the film, so minor blemishes might be ok, but oh well
No

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back