MR Y-wing repaint #2!

Gunpowder

Sr Member
The MR Y-wing is a really beautiful model. Its such a shame that the paint was messed up so badly. Heres a comparison photo. The darker one is the factory finish , the other is my reworked one. Im going to paint the standard one up much better.
Heres the two together
Picture037-2.jpg

Picture040-1.jpg

Factory. Oh dear!
Picture039-1.jpg

Reworked
Picture038-2.jpg

I will keep you all updated on the work

I managed to coax the canopy off!
Picture036-1.jpg

And then give the whole thing a light couple of coats of Polyscale US tactical light grey. Looks 100% better already.
Picture037-3.jpg

Picture038-3.jpg

The whole cockpit module is fitted badly too Andrew, its angled upwards yikes.
The paint on that MR bird id enough to make one hurl lol, cant wait to see you pull another off buddy, though id try h=get that cockpit angles sorted a little too !

lee

The whole cockpit module is fitted badly too Andrew, its angled upwards yikes.
The paint on that MR bird id enough to make one hurl lol, cant wait to see you pull another off buddy, though id try h=get that cockpit angles sorted a little too !

lee

Oh yes the cockpit. I have tried pushing it down but its solid as a rock. Its not too bad anyway. I managed to buy 2 of these. One is complete and new in its box and this one is complete other than the Death Star Turret. Thats probably why i decided to repaint it!

Well if you tried buddy thats about it, it is a pig to remove. Whats even more scary though, is my spelling i that last post lol, must not post 5 minutes after getting out of bed LOL.

lee

Beautiful repaint!! If they (MR) do the SS X wing I hope their factory paint job is better than their Y wing...

It seems strange that they would make such a bad job. I rubbed down the paint a little around the cockpit , and it was a lighter grey. I think that they did it the right grey , but then oversprayed it too heavy with black. Other than the paint job its a real nice model.
By the way guys , Lee was right. You couldnt really tell it from the photos i took but the head on the MR one is bent up a little. I have managed to get it to bend down a little and it looks much better!

Last edited:
I'm in the process of a MR Y-wing repaint myself. Any good advice for getting the "speckled" look? Is it just flicking paint from a toothbrush? Or is it something more complicated?

I'm in the process of a MR Y-wing repaint myself. Any good advice for getting the "speckled" look? Is it just flicking paint from a toothbrush? Or is it something more complicated?

Pass. I dont use that method. I go for the non screen appearence. Ralphee will know , hes the guy for screen accurate paint jobs , i beleive he did that on his Y wing. I only use and airbrush , but im sure that if you turned the pressure right down you would get that effect.
I havent done much today. I had a tooth pulled today and its hurting like crazy. I cant concentrate that much :cry
Heres myprogress so far
Picture039-2.jpg

Picture040-2.jpg

Andrew shes looking fine, sorry to hear about the tooth, im no fan of the dentist, why do they always wanna drill or remove something lol.
Brian yes the speckling, its most prevailent of the Red Jammer and thanks to Jamie (darkside72) for putting me in the light on this, for this i used various paint brushes, and indeed toothbrushes to fleck the paint at the model.
A few colors were used to achieve a weathered dirty look, burnt umber and vandyke brown being two of the colors used, i also used water based artist acrylics as i could easliy control the viscosity.
As Andrew said, set the airbrush on very low pressure, and try that too, it works great, this method is a favorite of mine and just looks right.
Cant wait to see some more Y wing action guys :cool

lee

I was wondering if anyone out there was going to repaint their Y-wing. I was horrified at the paint job the first time I saw mine. Well, I actually still am but the first time was the worst!!

Its a worthwhile replica to repaint J, youll thank yourself later for doing it lol.
Its a lot if fun to paint a studio Y! Now if only i can convince a few more to try out some Red Jammers lol.

lee

LOL Brian, get off that games console and get to the workbench lol.
Be nice to see your progress buddy!
I think you should try some of the flecking Andrew, maybe in the neck areas here and there with rusts etc.
I did try out some MIG pigments too with the same approach, i used a tooth brush just a tad wet, and added some MIG rust, then slowly dabbed off the excess on some kitchen towel.
Run your finger over the brush and itll spray onto the model, let it sit for a while, then dab with a soft cloth or pastel sponge, it creates a fine rust spatter that looks pretty cool, i used this method on the Red Jammer as well as Red Leader.
Obviously, youll need to seal the paint if using pigments and pastels though.

lee

Something i hadnt done on the last one was a black (very dark grey actually) wash around the detail parts. I know it isnt what ILM did but i wanted this one to have my own personal touch to it. Heres the wing minus the wash. It looks good.
Picture042-2.jpg

Heres the parts with the wash around them. I like it!
Picture041-1.jpg

Picture043-2.jpg

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back