Rancor Diorama

Gabriel P

Hey everyone!
I am a rancorholic. Ever since I saw the rancor for the first time I fell in love with the design of that creature, there is just something about it which makes it so cool.
I have attempted to sculpt it various times, however all those projects didn't end up well :facepalm:D and were also very time consuming, maybe way too much.
So I finally decided to end this project in the same way the real rancor scene ended.

So in this thread I will post my progress and all of the steps in the making of a diorama of the final scene when Luke defeats the rancor.

For the gate, I first did a clay sculpture and then made a quick mold, and cast it in ceramic.
As for the cave, it is made using a foam structure which I then covered in plaster.
The rancor I have to still finish, however for the sculpture I am using chavant medium.

DSC_0757.JPG

DSC_0759.JPG
Please let me know what you think!

Attachments

• DSC_0740.JPG
    DSC_0740.JPG
    915.8 KB · Views: 335
Love it!!! Great concept, could just imagine one of a section of the death star hanger with the imperial shuttle and a dying Darth in Luke's hands..

Thanks guys!
Howlrunner I saw your work on that beautiful rancor that Chris made, good job!
Some sort of diorama or display would definately look great with that piece. You can try to carve some rocks out of foam and have a go at it using the same technique I have used, it is actually how they made the original Pit for the puppet in the movie.

Inviato dal mio D5503 utilizzando Tapatalk

Working on the head a little bit, I will upload better pictures later today or tomorrow

Inviato dal mio D5503 utilizzando Tapatalk

Tremendous!!! I have a LOAD of reference images if you want them? PM me your email and I'll get them over

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, you know what, forget it. That sculpt is damn near perfect.

- - - Updated - - -

Hang on... realised who you were! what happened to the puppet you were making? That was excellent

Awww, poor rancor beast...smashed down in the prime of life. Luke's such a *******!

Honestly my favorite part of this scene in the movie is after Luke is recaught and you see the rancor's keeper showing up and crying that his pet is dead. I always thought that was a great little touch.

Great looking sculpture. I've never attempted the rancor, myself. You're doing a fine job. Wonderful presentation.

--Alex

Hey Chris! I've already got all of those beautiful pictures ;).
The puppet was a cool project, however right in the middle of the sculpting process I had to go to the U.S. for an internship at a Museum of natural history where I was given the task of making a scale model diorama of two late cretaceous marine reptiles. They came out pretty good and the experience was marvelous, I actually posted a thread in the sculpture and make up efx section with all of the pictures and the process, it is called Tylosaurus & Archelon diorama ( or something like that, it is pretty recent).
To make a long story short, when i got home the sculpture was in bad condition, it was water based clay and even though I had someone wet it every day, the sculpture just began to fall apart, I decided to abandon the project and dedicate myself to personal art and sculpture for a while, and now I am back at it with an 'easier' version of the old project.

Gabriele

Albertese thank you very much! It is actually a pretty sad scene:unsure, in fact sometimes I feel bad for sculpting the poor thing dead :( But hey it was either Luke or the Rancor :D
However it is an important part in the movie and I would also like to ad the rancor keeper as well in the dio, also luke obviously.

Gabriele

Last edited:
That's very very good. I wonder if the Garthok from Cone Heads(super under rated movie) was inspired by the Rancor? Either way that rancor has been totally narfled.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back