Alice In Wonderland 2010 Red Soldier Card Costume

Butaneflame

Howdy every one, this is my second post... the first one was my introductions.. Soooo yeah I'm new here.

I've been tinkering with the idea of making a cosplay costume based on the Red Queens Soldier card from the Tim Burton movie from 2010. I've managed to find two good reference pictures, both of which do not come with much of a tutorial... So based off the two pictures, I've come here to RPF asking how and what would you use to create/make this...

card_soldier_by_pagawanaman.jpg redqueen__s_card_soldier_by_pagawanaman.jpg

Reference picture one and picture two. I was thinking good ole EVA but didn't want the shape to bend.. Also this is more of a puppet type costume, notice the left and right hands moving the Red Card's hands... He is wearing the shoes though.. From what I understand, the costume is resting on his shoulders.. That's about the extent of info that I know about for this costume..

Some examples of what I'm not trying to achieve (while the costumes in their own right are fantastic looking and no offense is intended these examples are of what I'm not looking to recreate):

5899517328_77ca5e4213_b.jpg

Notice the "bend" towards his left rib cage (and too shinny)... I assume that's because he used a very pliable material.

idmages.jpg

WIP? Seems out of proportion and thick EVA . Although the head shape is good.

images.jpg

Again seems out of of proportion for what I'm going for.

1d08e230060cea8a60857dc51bc9e54b78b12780.jpg alice_in_wonderland_65.jpg

These two are from the movie, which I like CGI I don't think that concept would translate good to a cosplay suit.

Alice___Red_Knight_by_michaelkutsche.jpg

Concept art from the "author". While I like this dramatic example it would be near impossible to achieve due to the high arm/should stance

Disclaimer.. nothing is wrong per sei with the costumes mentioned about, just not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to recreate a cosplay costume based off of another cosplay costume. Any thoughts on how you'd achieve the same or similar look would be greatly appreciated.

The original costume is based off of RedQueen's Card Soldier by Pagaqanaman from DeviantArt.
I'm trying to get in touch with him in regards to how he built his suit, but in the mean time I figured I'd sign up here and get the ball rolling on my end, by asking you all how you'd tackle this one; based on the limited information provided.

any tips or ideas would be of great help, thank you.

Last edited:
you could use small plastic tubbing as a base frame (like the under frame they use for the warhammer space marine builds) its light, cheap, loads of angled joints and easy to fix together.

FGS7HN8HNM45814.MEDIUM.jpg

Oh wow! Something like that would help out immensely. Is there a write up more pictures on how they built their suits? *scrambles to the Internet searching for links* thank you Gothic.

you could use small plastic tubbing as a base frame (like the under frame they use for the warhammer space marine builds) its light, cheap, loads of angled joints and easy to fix together.

View attachment 663070

Haha While it might not be what I wanted, it certainly helps with concepts. It's greatly appreciated!

Most of the costume seems strait forward, although the shoe template tutorial will deff come in handy...

The wrists look like I could possible use a funnel to achieve the same type look. I imagine the hands can't that hard.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back