Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 17, 2013, 11:51 PM - Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [Completed!] #1

Costume is complete as of October 2013. I can now begin the thread with some pictures of the finished build! Keep reading for all the juicy details though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140202_Gary Sterley_Space Marine (1).jpg 
Views:	1505 
Size:	977.0 KB 
ID:	281970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140202_Gary Sterley_Space Marine (2).jpg 
Views:	2097 
Size:	717.0 KB 
ID:	281971

I'm back! It's been a while since my last project. I am glad to say I finnally found my next build. I have decided to build myself a Warhammer 40k Space Marine

Inspiration hit me the other day and I have been obsessing ever since. I've been scouring the internet for advice and resources. I found some FANTASTIC builds. Two in particular stood out and I will be using them as guides for my own build. I am building in EVA foam and am going BIG. Around 7 feet tall big.

My guides will be the two following builds:
    Henrik Pilerud's fanmade Blood Angel Space Marine

---and---
    Hasenbrau's Ultramarine

Both are fantastic. Updates incoming. I will keep you posted!
    Last edited by Sylgian; Feb 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM.
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 18, 2013, 12:09 AM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #2

My first shipment of EVA foam has been ordered and is on the way. It was a good chunk of change so I am financially committed now, lol. I budgeted for about $2000 and I will be actively keeping track of expenditures this time around. I'll let you exactly how bad I blow the budget.

I'm starting at the bottom and working my way up. That means boots first. Since the foam isn't here, and I am not naturally 7 feet tall. I will be building stilts to boost my height.

I have been actively working on the proper scale to use for my pep templates and I have decided on 935. Its big, heres the footptint.

Heres the plan for the stilts. They will primarily 3/4" PVC.

I took some time tonight and designed and began 3D printing some brackets for the PVC pipes. (the wife got me a 3D printer for Christmas. LOVE her, and also love finding uses for it )

These little brackets will hold my vertical stilt posts to the base. Why dont they make these? Oh well, PRINT EM.

There are a few more items I need from the hardware store before my stilts can come together. More progress tomorrow.
    Last edited by Sylgian; Mar 18, 2013 at 7:20 AM.
    From
    ireland
    Mar 18, 2013, 2:33 AM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #3

This is going to be an epic build!
    Who's a lucky boy getting a 3d printer? I'm dead jealous! Lol
    I'm subscribing!!
  4. Member Since
    Mar 2011
    From
    Abilene, Texas, United States
    Mar 18, 2013, 4:05 AM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #4

looking forward to seeing this come together, jealous of your 3d printer, but excited to see another of the space marine coming to life
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 18, 2013, 10:25 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #5

Given I have little to do other than optimize pep patterns for foam or build stilts... today I built stilts. Most of them anyhow.

I rethought my design based on some prototypes my friend and I built the other day. Below is the version 2. Scratch that, Mark II,. That sounds cooler. Thank you Iron Man.

After a fun trip to the hardware store, and Harbor Freight. I had a pile of crap, a plan and a blown daily budget thanks to the tool store.

Print and cut out template for the foot

MEASURE STUFF. Then cut and start assembling some PVC.

Test fitting it up as I go.

And BOOM. Stilts. Mostly done. Still need a base for my shoe, but you get the idea.

I took 1" off the outside edge of the footprint. My logic is that more wood equals more weight. The footprint is plenty wide and stable as I have it. I will fill the gaps with a ring or two of extra foam when I make the boot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130318_174141.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	173697   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130318_230802.jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	173696  
    Last edited by Sylgian; Apr 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM.
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 19, 2013, 11:42 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #6

Made a little progress today. My first order of foam is on its way. I was trying to find EVA foam, but ended up going with this Cross-Linked Polyethylene instead.

From what I gather its very similar to EVA and sold under the brand name minicel around here. Correct me if I'm wrong. I believe xrobots used something like this in his iron man build. Just in case I only ordered $100 worth. If it fails me I wont be breaking the bank.

On the construction front. Here is my stilt progress!

Cut out the foot pads

Secure the with conduit clamps and bolts

Look like stilts

duct taped them to my feet to test.

I will need further tests with the leg strap in place around my calf. They are functional, but I think I'd feel better with them secured to my calf in addition to the foot strap. They were seriously wonky on grass, given the uneven terrain. Kind of scary even.
    Last edited by Sylgian; Apr 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM.
  7. msleeper is offline msleeper
    Mar 20, 2013, 12:36 AM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #7

I am super excited to see this build progress, but please don't break your ankle or something with those stilts!
    From
    Texas
    Mar 20, 2013, 12:51 AM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #8

could I buy some of those brackets for my own Space Marine build?
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 20, 2013, 1:00 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #9

msleeper said: View Post
    I am super excited to see this build progress, but please don't break your ankle or something with those stilts!
    After last nights testing I think I will be making tweaks and building a Mark III version of the stilts. These will have the same material directly under my heel, but will flex directly under my toes. I think it will offer much better mobility and hopefully better stability on uneven ground.

I am sketching designs right now. Hopefully I can work on that tonight.

MrBackpack said: View Post
    could I buy some of those brackets for my own Space Marine build?
    It is possible, but they take a ridiculously long time to print with 100% infill (12+ hours). The material is cheap, but the time is very valuable to me. If I were to sell them I fear I would have to price them unreasonably high considering how long they would occupy my printer.

I wager you could find hardware solutions that would work equally well for considerably less.
    Last edited by Sylgian; Mar 20, 2013 at 1:08 PM.
    Mar 20, 2013, 1:42 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #10

I'm sure you've already checked him out, but in case you haven't, user thorssoli did a build of a Warhammer 40K Space Marine here. I realize that you'll be going a different route by doing a foam build, but there might still be some useful stuff in there.

Looking forward to your build!
  11. msleeper is offline msleeper
    Mar 20, 2013, 3:32 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #11

Yeah speaking of thorssoli's build, have you considered using drywall stilts Sylgian? I'd have to re-read his thread but I think that's what he used. I can understand being budget conscience but if safety is a factor you may not want to try and reinvent the wheel.
    From
    California, USA
    Mar 20, 2013, 3:37 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #12

Wow! To make a suit of Space Marine Armor is a childhood dream and wish you the best on the build! I look forward to your further posts!
    From
    Texas
    Mar 20, 2013, 5:23 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #13

Sylgian said: View Post
    It is possible, but they take a ridiculously long time to print with 100% infill (12+ hours). The material is cheap, but the time is very valuable to me. If I were to sell them I fear I would have to price them unreasonably high considering how long they would occupy my printer.

I wager you could find hardware solutions that would work equally well for considerably less.
    ah, that I understand.

To the hardware store!
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 20, 2013, 9:49 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #14

drknotter said: View Post
    I'm sure you've already checked him out, but in case you haven't, user thorssoli did a build of a Warhammer 40K Space Marine here. I realize that you'll be going a different route by doing a foam build, but there might still be some useful stuff in there.

Looking forward to your build!
    SUPER inspired by him. I know of the build, but didn't reference it only because the medium he used was different. He's amazing.

msleeper said: View Post
    Yeah speaking of thorssoli's build, have you considered using drywall stilts Sylgian? I'd have to re-read his thread but I think that's what he used. I can understand being budget conscience but if safety is a factor you may not want to try and reinvent the wheel.
    Very True. I did consider proper drywall stilts, but decided against it for a few reasons. Cost was certainly one reason. My PVC contraptions cost me around $40. The real deal stilts were around $75 and some shipping.

Secondly, the cheaper stilts I found were a minimum of 18" tall. My math says I should need around a 10" stilt for the scale I am using. I left mine tall for now, around 12" just in case.

And lastly, I just cant help but want to put something together

On a related note. I tested a Mark III stilt this afternoon. It involved a flexible foam base on the bottom of the stilt directly below the front half of my foot. Sadly, I did not find it beneficial. I will be keeping the Mark II, but experimenting was fun.

The left drawing is what I attempted.

During this testing I found that adding strapping around my calves helped quite a bit. I no longer felt I was in mortal peril when the stilts were fastened to both my foot and calf.
    Last edited by Sylgian; Apr 19, 2013 at 7:58 PM.
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 21, 2013, 1:33 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #15

Based on my rough math, I took a moment and made a quick size diagram. The man is ~6' tall. The final Space Marine should be ~7'. The proportion of the model is a bit off. But this should be pretty close to accurate regarding height.

Last edited by Sylgian; Apr 19, 2013 at 7:59 PM.
    From
    Texas
    Mar 21, 2013, 2:07 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #16

do you plan on having fully articulated hands?
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 21, 2013, 4:47 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #17

MrBackpack said: View Post
    do you plan on having fully articulated hands?
    I'm still not entirely sure. In my mind I have three options. First, just wear some hockey gloves and let the arms look a bit short. Second, Non articulated hands that are attached to the forearm section, so the arms are the correct length. And third, I could assemble a hand that could have articulated fingers, operated from the forearm section.

With the aid of some 3D printing, the 3rd option is possible. But it would certainly be time consuming.

As of now, whats most likely to happen is option 2. Possibly morph that into an option 3 afterword. The articulated fingers would be a project unto themselves, so I don't want to tackle that along side the suit.
  18. Member Since
    Dec 2012
    Mar 21, 2013, 5:51 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #18

hi!
    I am making my own armor, .. and I think its not a good idea startings with the stilts... you dont know how high you must go in order to keep your knees on place until you make almost the full armor..
    I started on chest, then arms, then cod, then legs... and I am working right now on foots, and NOW I see I need a 20cm stilts to make it look ok..
    by the way, its a very good work, of course... Please , keep updated..
    regards!
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 21, 2013, 10:04 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #19

r1racing said: View Post
    hi!
    I am making my own armor, .. and I think its not a good idea startings with the stilts... you dont know how high you must go in order to keep your knees on place until you make almost the full armor..
    I started on chest, then arms, then cod, then legs... and I am working right now on foots, and NOW I see I need a 20cm stilts to make it look ok..
    by the way, its a very good work, of course... Please , keep updated..
    regards!
    I totally agree with you. But luckily I had the same thought. My stilts are not cemented together yet, and I made them intentionally tall. Because they aren't yet cemented, I can still pop them apart and adjust the height as needed. They stand at 12" as they are.

I am just antsy waiting for my foam so I jumped the gun on the stilts. Any excuse to build stuff is a good one.

Dont mind the duct tape. I'll be working on the rigging this weekend.

Last edited by Sylgian; Apr 19, 2013 at 8:00 PM.
  20. Member Since
    Nov 2012
    From
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
    Mar 21, 2013, 11:32 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #20

Articulated hands don't have to be complicated. Here is a fairly simple one. How To Make Your Own Gigantic Steampunk Mechanical Hand
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 22, 2013, 1:26 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #21

I am having a VERY hard time picking which chapter I want my costume to be. I would like to do a prolific chapter, but doing something outside of what contemporaries have done is also very appealing. I fear being derivative with so many options available.

I have a few favorites (in no particular order):
    1. Space Wolves are neat. I love the color scheme, but I HATE all the fur and animal skull crap. It looks very barbarian. I guess I could ignore it?

2. Dark Angels I like, but the monastic culture isn't really my speed and thorssoli did this chapter recently.

3. Blood Angels look great and I like their lore, but you can see Henrick's amazing version in my first post. If I were to play, this would probably be my chapter.

4. And finally... The quintessential Ultramarines. They might be a touch generic, but that means its also identifiable. So, its good and bad. I must admit they have a very nice look to them, with all the gilt and such. They are a strong contender in my mind.

HELP ME CHOOSE!!!! Feel free to give suggestions and opinions.
    Last edited by Sylgian; Mar 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM.
  22. msleeper is offline msleeper
    Mar 22, 2013, 4:29 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #22

Mar 22, 2013, 8:12 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #23

Imperial Fists... Or Angry Marines Chapter.. Great start
    From
    Orlando
    Mar 22, 2013, 11:45 PM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #24

OOOH, They are awesome. Do they have enough color though? This is going to sound weird, especially considering how big this thing will be, but I really want it to have big wow factor. A bold color can go a long way.

25. msleeper is offline msleeper
    Mar 23, 2013, 12:39 AM - Re: Sylgian's 40K Space Marine [WIP] #25

I totally get what you mean, with that much surface area it's easy for it to look boring or undetailed.

The actual armor is supposed to be unpainted, hence the "grey". But they're also supposed to be covered head to toe in purity seals and other bling since they are literally the Inquisition's personal chapter. I've actually mused doing a female Inquisitor and a Grey Knight with a friend of mine, but that's on my "some day..." list.

If you want crowd appeal (and I totally do not blame you) you should do an Ultramarine. The Space Marine game from 2011 put 40k kind of in the spotlight and everyone recognizes a Titus.