How to mill off knurling for TFA glass eye on vintage/Parks?

Thanks, but this isn't a 2.0 or TGS one, this is the same dimensions as a vintage, ala, it won't work while not messing up the glass section

They are not made of stainless steel. They are plated, probably brass which will come to the surface if you mill the knurling.

Sorry didn't realize it was a vintage replica (or vintage). Best way would be put it in a 5/8-24 nut and put in a lathe or clamp it in a mill. If you dont have access to either, I think you could do it the same way (drill method), pull the spring and glass out first. Its brass so they file/ sand down pretty easy

Or just contact saberbay on etsy and see when he will have more TFA ones in stock. They are vintage replicas and already come with the knurling removed

Sorry didn't realize it was a vintage replica (or vintage). Best way would be put it in a 5/8-24 nut and put in a lathe or clamp it in a mill. If you dont have access to either, I think you could do it the same way (drill method), pull the spring and glass out first. Its brass so they file/ sand down pretty easy

Or just contact saberbay on etsy and see when he will have more TFA ones in stock. They are vintage replicas and already come with the knurling removed
This is a SaberBay!

Is it a SaberBay TFA Variant? He offered both (Regular and edges knurled off)

saberbay tfa.jpg

This is a SaberBay!

Basically, the glass comes out and can be pushed back in, the spring holds it in there I believe. (or glue for later)

so, I would take some threaded rod and sandwich the metal eye between two nut/washers.

Then put the threaded rod in a drill chuck and pull the trigger. Hold a file/sandpaper against it, or lay the file down, and run the drill against the file.

Basically, the glass comes out and can be pushed back in, the spring holds it in there I believe. (or glue for later)

so, I would take some threaded rod and sandwich the metal eye between two nut/washers.

Then put the threaded rod in a drill chuck and pull the trigger. Hold a file/sandpaper against it, or lay the file down, and run the drill against the file.

Can you explain a little more what you mean by "sandwhich the metal eye between two nut/washers? I'm envisioning threading a nut onto the metal eye, then threading some rod into the nut... is that how you did it? Alternatively, I could find a wooden dowel and just pressure fit it in the metal eye as well right?

Yes! So, a drill press has a lot of torque, so a friction fit will quickly slide a part.

I took a regular old carriage bolt (a short one) that was almost as wide as the glass eye hole, fed it through, and used a washer and nut to tighten the glass eye in place. I put the exposed end of the bolt (not the head) into the drill press and turned it on!

You can do the same thing with some threaded rod and two sets of nuts and washers

All of the parts, the bolt, washer and nut, are all smaller in diameter than the glass eye, so you can file the edge down without catching anything else. let me take a picture for you with my phone hold on

Here I've got a hex headed bolt, two washers to protect the glass eye, and a nut to tighten them together. Stick that threaded end up in a drill press and you can freely sand or grind off the knurling
20190904_111509.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back