TIEs and Ys

Today's work.

IMG_0097.jpg

Looks great, like all your builds always do! The Interceptor is definitely my favorite TIE. Definitely doing the Bandai as soon as I can. (I wish I had room to do studio scales, but in NY that'll cost another thousand a month in rent!) Hopefully I'll get a chance before winter sets in- nothing worse than staring at a half-finished model knowing it'll be months before I can complete it.

Last edited:
Nice paint Job! -as always Jason.

You're going to like the new & improved TIE Interceptor Wings. To be fair John did an excellent Job there was only few minor tweaks to make; including that T-beam you fixed.
The biggest change is screen accurate "solar-panel" material
I do like buildings the TIE fighter family ships. The Paint jobs are much easier and go much faster compared to Y-wings and X-wings.
That's not to imply no skill is required, and care must still be taken to to a good job. It just that you don't have the extreme weathering and damage effects that you have to with the X-wings and Ys
What shade of grey do you like to use for the darker accents , like that used on the Bow-TIE piece?
Do you use the Rustroleum Gray primer (as is believe to be used on originals)?
Or a custom-mixed blend?

Either way it looks great!

Second that, GG! TIE's have their own allure similar to a beautifully rendered mechanical drawing.

Btw, what was the material used on the Interceptor (and Vader's TIE) wings? I noticed the texture was different than Koolshade and set diagonally to the horizontal but couldn't ID the material used other than it looks like the texture of disposable plastic table covering film.

Regards, Robert

If i am correct, the material is Steve Niesen used is a transparant diamond patern light defuser sheet(out of production)
This difuser has 2 sides with a different pattern.,
One side more prominent "valley" and oneside more prominent "hills" i believe,..or a different amount of diamond shapes.
I think Steve's (maybe Steve can clear this up)interceptor and Vader tie both have the same material on the wings but just the different side of this material.
There is/was a debate that a certain Plastruc sheet was used,i am not shure if this is still on the table.since te light difuser material looks spot on.

Nice. I have an Interceptor kit I've been waiting on some parts for. I can't wait to build it.

Last edited:
Second that, GG! TIE's have their own allure similar to a beautifully rendered mechanical drawing.

Btw, what was the material used on the Interceptor (and Vader's TIE) wings? I noticed the texture was different than Koolshade and set diagonally to the horizontal but couldn't ID the material used other than it looks like the texture of disposable plastic table covering film.

Hey Robert
Regarding the "solar-panel" material on the TIE Interceptor wings:
[disclaimer: I know according to the "official" tech manuals they are not soar panels]
The Material originally used by ILM back in 1979-80 is a diamond pattern light diffuser plastic panel. The type used in commercial spaces to cover the florescent tube/bulbs. It is a slightly different pattern (and very different in size) than the pattern used on the diffuser materials you get from most makers today.
The particular pattern is no longer made and very hard to find.
The pattern/material used on the TIE Interceptor is different than that used on the Vader X-1 TIE (even harder to come across)

The older version of the Interceptor (Kit) Wings used a material that was close "in character but not 100% -it looks quite good.
However for the sake of accuracy the wings have been corrected and Upgraded. I think folks will be pleased with the results. :cool
The new "solar panel" material used on the wings has been derived directly from originals used for filming. We used 3 different types of data to arrive at the final shape/ pattern. I am happy to say the different data corroborated our decisions.
I should mention I am by no means an expert on TIE Interceptors compared to some of the other team members.
Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to help out on the first build-up, I am a "johnny come lately" to the project. ...but glad to be able to contribute in a positive way
I hope to post some pics in a new thread.

Sorry for the long-winded answer..but you did ask :$

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: paint colors and such. I may have posted this before in a TIE paint thread, but here it goes again. Apparently, in the early days of color film, Technicolor would send out a "color consultant" to whatever film was using Technicolor film stock. The consultant would work with the Art Directors and Directors of Photography to make sure the intended shades would wind up on film. In fact, in some cases, they were able to overrule everyone since they knew the film stock better than anyone. One of the things they insisted on was priming all the sets in a very dark gray. This was done because no matter how thick the paint on a set was, there was a certain amount of translucency to the paint color. The dark primer help to make the colors richer. I've seen shots of the models being primed in dark gray primer. I believe that may make a difference when it comes to matching the color perfectly. That being said, I'm part of the "close enough given the lighting in my living room" crowd.

Gene

Me too. I paint it for my house, and then Lorne says "it's too dark" about that first Escape Pod I did and I cry and cry.

Mike - that in between color was mixed like I always do, by eye... but in this case to match the EFX middle-gray color!

Gene,
It appears that the pyro X-Wing pattern was painted in the dark gray primer. I would like to know more about the dark gray primer. Is it like navy blue? I appreciate if you could describe what the dark gray primer looks like.

I'd wager that if you laid a base color of Tamiya XF-63 German grey, you'd have a good approximation of the old Pactra Hot Rod primer.

I think I have a shot of the primer paint can on some old slide from some show called "Gala tic -a" or something........ Think it was an automotive paint. I'm now using an SEM brand self etching primer (black) for most of my resin builds.

Gene

Which picture is the most accurate to the dark gray primer?:confused
The Tamiya German Gray looks nice on the Tie Fighter picture. Thank you!
grayprimer.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back