Ovomorph Project

knutnb

Hi!

As an Alien fan I have always been intrigued by the Alien egg known as the Ovomorph. I have always wanted to make my own replica of it, and I feel now that the time is right. I am a family guy workin full time, so this might take some time to get done. But! I am really eager to get started. Right now I am trying to get everything I need together.

I have an idea how to do this, but I am new to building so any tips or tricks is much appreciated. I will first cut out two egg shaped plywood parts that I can slide into eachother (like an x) to get the basic shape (I will cut out room for a wide pipe to slide in that will become the inside, with room for a Hugger). Then I will attach it to a plywood base. After that I will add chicken wire to it and use expanding foam to fill out the rest of the egg shape. I will then cut off the excess foam. Then I will start adding clay (preferably oil based?) and get the egg close to the Alien1979 look. I want to include the "tentacles" at the bottom as well. I might need some advice on this regarding how to get the details and such.

I guess when that is done I have to seal it somehow. I am not planning to do a casting of it. The last thing to do is to make a display base for it. I imagine a square box (a bit wider than the egg to have room for the "tentacles"), aluminium foil and LEDs inside and a frosted acrylic glass as the top.

So there you have it. Let me know what you think, and feel free to give a noob advice. I hope to get started asap, but as I said: It might be a long project, but the process is part of the fun right? :)

K

Oil based clays generally never harden. If you're not planning on casting this, I'd suggest water based clay that will dry on its own. The basic grey clay tends to have a coarse surface texture to it even when smoothed out. The red clay has a smoother surface but is softer
To prevent it from drying out overnight while you work on it, use a spray bottle with water to wet the clay, then wrap it in wet paper towels and cover with plastic. It should keep the clay workable for some time until you are ready to dry it. In regards to texture, a lot of things can be used to give a surface texture to the clay, a crumpled up wad of tinfoil can be used to create a wrinkled texture. Experiment around with a lump of clay and see what pressing different materials into the surface can yield.

Thanks for this, Collektor! I will try to hunt down som red water based clay then. I saw someone make a texture tool themselves using FIMO as well. Might try that.

Thanks again.

K

Officially started. Got the main "skeleton" together, which gives me the shape of the alien egg. The empty place on top is intended for a pipe which will house the internal egg and hopefully a hugger as well.

Next stage will be adding and shaping chicken wire.
311e3d9202ef7d5ec3978d837edc5525.jpg
930dbd51c1f653ffacf18c538e92e418.jpg
c4e1606634149f697f638dd4a6ab3ec9.jpg
f491216d721dadb914c484370b50878a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could this be an ok clay to use for my project?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sio2-Plus-...3&keywords=Sio-2+1Kg+Plus+Self+Hardening+Clay

Yeah that looks like the right stuff. I used just get mine from the art supply store near the school, they sold it in big, 25 lb blocks. I'd say to keep the weight down, build a chicken wire shell around the frame you've built and then press the clay into the wire. The wire will act as a support structure for the clay. Just keep it moist overnight while working on it and it should be just fine.

Cool, thanks. I just ordered 13 kg of this type. But I need to keep weight as low as I can. Custom display base will have a plexi-glas top, although with some reinforcement right underneath so it doesn't break.

First coating of the wood today, second and last tomorrow. Made rounded tops to fit better with egg shape, and drilled 4 holes on base for bolts that later will hold the egg and the base together.

4216fc372b224ba19542656bf35110f3.jpg
6f3b810f7d4c49597852f6a870babc53.jpg
d0975f132bfaf59da8c6933b0e8c764a.jpg

Continued work today. Added a tube from bottom til top in case I will add some electrical components. Added wire to the structure. Looks like crap, but hopefully I'll get it to look nice in the end [emoji12] Next up is to shape the opened flaps on top. Then I will add expanding foam to the chicken wire, which I will cut to shape.
d36fe1357a992746a2ec3f9478038999.jpg
17d0f80dbe655e03db3838b4e1bc8c4c.jpg
9b57951ecc9a97a78733a60a6e9d03ff.jpg
06f1cf6ba16f84b265bdd49951a1abff.jpg

Clay has arrived! 13x1000gr. No progress since last post. Work, redecorating the house, and comics deadlines take all hours of the day at the moment.

I'll get back to the project when things have slowed down.

a4cce610c3d8c9355eb2555a16356f88.jpg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back