Those Darn Panel Lights in Star Wars

Rebelscum

Sr Member
See the lights on top of the Detention Center Camera Pods?

left-view.jpg

They were used in many places in the films and I've long wanted to make them, and they are finally done.

But first a little background.

Back in 2010, JSS with still just one post ever, started a conversation about the Death Star Control Panels, as he wanted to make one. They were used there too. Though nothing is known about the parts used on those panels, there are 3 of the panel lights on them. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=98087

detention-cameras-09.jpg

Later Andy19422 started a conversation in 2013 about building a Detention Center Camera pod. It was made from 6 Patterson Trident Slide Viewers, a mounting plate some aluminum greeblies, thought to be from a turntable and 4 of those darn panel lights. Two on top and two on bottom. http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=182574

Along the way Andy managed to track down two of the actual lights, the mounting ring, bezel and lenses. Not the actual illumination, though that was likely an incandescent bulb. So far as I know these are the only two originals ever found. They were particularly used on Wild Barfield furnaces.

wildbarfield1.jpg

wildbarfield2.jpg

Here are photos of the lights Andy found.

panel-lights-10.jpg

panel-lights-11.jpg

panel-lights-12.jpg

panel-lights-13.jpg

And here's a photo showing how the original incandescent bulb was positioned.

light-with-bulb.png

Chris Reiff, Chris Trevas and Ryder Windham even included the camera pods in their book "Death Star Owner's Technical Manual: Star Wars: Imperial DS-1 Orbital Battle Station", using a drawing by Chris Reiff.

As I have had good success casting clear material, Andy kindly sent me a one of his lights to cast and use as a master for replicating the lights. Though it seemed to take forever to actually get to it, I did manage to come up with a workable design and get a plan together for them.

Partnering with bluerealm, and though it was more difficult than initially guessed, we have completed the project to build lights we are very proud of and are just about ready to make them available.

Here's what we came up with:

panel-lights-04.jpg

panel-lights-03.jpg

panel-lights-02.jpg

panel-lights-01.jpg

The complete light has a nylon bolt, which is precision CNC drilled and milled to accept a 5mm LED with the wire through the bolt. The head is shortened to allow the installation of the 3d printed diffusor. The bezel is vac-metalized chrome and the lens is a clear material that is tinted either red, blue, green, yellow or white. All colors seen in the film.

For the Detention Center Cameras, you don't need the illumination or diffuser, so they will have just a nylon bolt and nut, bezel and lens. Or you can supply your own 5/16-18 bolt and nut.

We also have available cold cast metalized bezels you can buff to a very nice metallic sheen and unpainted bezels so you can have a light as inexpensively as possible.

Because the process of casting the lens is difficult, some lenses have a small single bubble in them and we have them at a discount,These may be perfect for slide viewers since they aren't lit anyway.

They will be posted for sale later today under the bluerealm user.

Last edited:
WOW WOW WOW WOW! Those are simply stunning!

EDIT: How many units are you planning on doing? I'm hoping I can get in line early enough!

I know I missed out on the recent run of Death Star Detention Center Security Cams.
Is there any chance that there are any Panel Lights still available?
even "seconds"???

I know I missed out on the recent run of Death Star Detention Center Security Cams.
Is there any chance that there are any Panel Lights still available?
even "seconds"???

Yes, though on this point I have been completely lame, I know. I have a really bad practice of staying on target for each project I'm working, completely setting aside other things. I do know I'm late with this, but will get them out and sort it.

Yes, though on this point I have been completely lame, I know. I have a really bad practice of staying on target for each project I'm working, completely setting aside other things. I do know I'm late with this, but will get them out and sort it.

Many thanks for your work on these over the years!

Please, if you have any left, I'll take dibs on a couple/few green lights...

Dan

Rather late response - but the discovery about Wild Barfield furnaces was quite interesting.

5B4970F6-FAEB-43E0-AC6E-F9F9E58B7ED0.jpeg

Note that they were based in Hertfordshire. Watford is a 20 minute drive away from EMI Elstree studios.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back