Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back from Music Fest weekend and catching up!

*reads last pages*

This thread is the worst thing to happen to the RPF in the 3 years I've been here.

Thats a bit dramatic to say isnt it? I mean cmon. Does this forum really have THAT much of an impact on your day to day to say something of that nature? Its a thread in a forum. On the internet. If they really wanted to, a mod could erase it from history like it never happened.

Worst thing why?? Because it goes against your opinion? Because sony got called out on their pandering, man bashing bull crap?? Because we were all right and this movie is ebola?? Is it the underlying SJW garbage that is giving everyone cancer?? I can't believe people just choose to swallow the garbage cranked out by these fools and just accept it, no matter how bad it is people will defend it all the way to the $3 bluray bin. Is it a white knight thing?? Do they think they're going to get brownie points from all the militant feminazis?? I don't understand this level of pandering.

I stand corrected.

Still seems a bit like hyperbole on Feig's part, but I think his point is that the film has to do really well to be considered a studio success.

We shall see where this goes in the next couple weeks. Personally, I think they end up just treating GB16 as not quite a "tentpole" franchise, but still try to franchise it with smaller-budget films.

I was always told you need to basically triple the budget to break even by the various people I fly (studio execs). A better number is to times the budget by 373%. This figure accounts for theater cuts, various percentages and general behind the scenes expenses that we normal folk never consider etc. Below is a great article that goes into the ROI formula for a movie. Feigs ROI isnt far off. If you do the math, GB16 needs to make $540M to break even.

https://storyality.wordpress.com/20...n-feature-films-and-roi-return-on-investment/

I do think you are correct that IF Sony green lights another GB movie, it will have a smaller budget. IF GB16 is a loss and leaves an 'ok' taste in the audience mouth, its gonna be a hard sell. Regarding merchandising, the toys are already on clearance. And thats too bad. But traditionally, the majority of action figure sales are little boys.

Lets look at Nolans Batman Begins. Using the 373% formula, it didnt hit the profitable mark ($150m budget/ $374M world wide). But WB went forward because of rave reviews, strong public reaction, toys flying off the shelf, strong licensing sales etc. WB approved The Dark Knight with a $180M budget and over a Billion in ticket sales worldwide. Dark Knight Rises saw similar numbers. The original Nolan movie hit every mark, fans loved it, the average movie goer loved it, lots of toys and shirts to buy, thus two successful sequels. There was a huge potential after Begins and WB followed the same formula to great success.

All movies have to be good regardless of their fan base or genre to further interest in the franchise. Personally I think Sony is putting up a united front with sequel statements to try and stop the losses at this point. I think they will hold on to this a while, let the dust settle and pull a page out of the Spiderman playbook.

The take away im getting is the people who want to go in for a good time, they have a good time. The people who go in with a chip on their shoulder come out disappointed.

Tonight!

Ghostbusters (Original)

Tomorrow

Ghostbusters 2 (lots of drinking)

Wednesday

Ghostbusters 16... see ya in the review thread, kids.

Last edited:
Tonight!

Ghostbusters (Original)

Tomorrow

Ghostbusters 2 (lots of drinking)

Wednesday

Ghostbusters 16... see ya in the review thread, kids.

Good for you and we as fans, and general movie types, should give the new GB a chance. Ill go see it next weekend. Personally, ive made a choice to ignore the negativity on both sides and the result is gained knowledge into the inner financials on what factors go into making a movie profitable or not.

I truly hope that people here can filter through the noise and have some fun.

Thats a bit dramatic to say isnt it? I mean cmon. Does this forum really have THAT much of an impact on your day to day to say something of that nature? Its a thread in a forum. On the internet. If they really wanted to, a mod could erase it from history like it never happened.

Couldn't the same be said about a movie? Why months of hateful talk, eh?

I agree with Neo, as soon as people start posting Breitbart links as news you know the thread has turned into garbage. :)

Couldn't the same be said about a movie? Why months of hateful talk, eh?

I agree with Neo, as soon as people start posting Breitbart links as news you know the thread has turned into garbage. :)

I'd say that this thread has a significantly higher level of quality acting and storyline than the Ghostbusters reboot

Worst thing why?? Because it goes against your opinion? Because sony got called out on their pandering, man bashing bull crap?? Because we were all right and this movie is ebola?? Is it the underlying SJW garbage that is giving everyone cancer?? I can't believe people just choose to swallow the garbage cranked out by these fools and just accept it, no matter how bad it is people will defend it all the way to the $3 bluray bin. Is it a white knight thing?? Do they think they're going to get brownie points from all the militant feminazis?? I don't understand this level of pandering.

for some reason, i've been thinking about a former facebook friend. ...you never really knew if he was serious about something and genuinely upset, or just seeing if he could get a rise out of you just for jollies, and laugh while doing it. almost like a daily exercise we would jab back and forth until i realized it wasn't a healthy relationship and cut the cord.

i'm just happy i'm able to see through all the hollywood hoopla, but it's amazing how the world is acting on this one little movie.

yet, it's perfectly fine to hate on the JJ Verse trek un abated ;o). i notice more haters in that one and everyone seems fine with it ;o). going off on a movie just announced to boot.

go figure.

Let the hating begin!

in all seriousness, does Fieg what to deal with the crap all over again.

I'm worn out. i'm done...two years of this and turtles is too much. andwith the added crap of people being so PC inthe feigbusters world, it's giving me whiplash trying to figure out what'll offend people and what won't.

if this is what people want, they can have it. until someone feigs over on something they love more than their wife or husband..and then i will just sit back and nod and say stop interrupting my zelda play ;)

are any of the Entertainment shows reporting on feigbusters tonight?

I came home late and had ET on. i saw them do something on saturday. but today, they where all over Star Trek and comic con. seems it's already been forgotten by mainstream.

curious if any of the other shows touched on it, or if they did it all on sunday and now are moving on.

Last edited by a moderator:
starting to wind down a bit...a long two years. those who want to listen will, those who won't won't.

but what do you think of this lady? she's getting ripped to shreds by certain fan pages not touting how great the weekend box office numbers are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sn_vAcFGTJU&feature=youtu.be

and then you have articles posted like this..

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...ots_from_chris_hemsworth_in_ghostbusters.html

She's beautiful and I love her.

Watch this video!

Omg I love this woman. Smart, strong, and beautiful. Is it even ok for me to find her physically attractive? It's hard to keep up! Lol.

You go girl. 100% on point.

I love this guys reaction. it's so infectious with his laughter. I think that's where i may gravitate towards. rather than a whole year of 'hate', go in, pay full price for the movie on opening day.. take a notepad, and just note all things wrong with it.

I've still got those two 7.50 off ticket price things from my 4K GB buy. i was toying around with taking a co worker who would see it any way this week. I'd get a free ticket out of it, they wouldn't get full price out of his ticket by $2's since he was going to pay anyway, have him pay the difference so i still can say i didn't give it money...and rather than wait for a matinee price to get two free ones, just put this whole sorry affair behind me so I can move on.

I also mis understood the box office numbers. when they said $65 million world wide, I thought they meant that it earned $45 here, and $65 all in the foreign territories. Turns out it only made $25 million in the UK, Brazil, and Australia, apparently plus possibly smaller territories, and they had all week for box office results to report. that would account for all the empty theaters, and sony not releasing the day to day numbers.

I'd call that a win at least over seas..

Down one million on saturday. down 4 million on sunday. i guess they don't report monday, tuesday and wensday and start again on thursday?
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=ghostbusters2016.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Watch this video!

Omg I love this woman. Smart, strong, and beautiful. Is it even ok for me to find her physically attractive? It's hard to keep up! Lol.

You go girl. 100% on point.

The way things are, youre probably not allowed to say that she is attractive. Someone will probably yell at you and call you some sort of name... :facepalm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back