Ghostbusters (2016) (Post-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ghostbusters Post Release

I minded. Not sure why you didn't, stupid character is stupid, and it's not like no one said anything.

I like that you're consistent now, but it's also too late to get oh a high horse about it.

And the same people complain about Rey calling her a failed character or Mary Sue and I see a hero for young girls and boys alike. So what if this fictitious young teen girl loves the characters in this film and wants to dress up as a femal Ghostbusters for Haloween? From my high horse I will tell her that's great, not sure what position you will be in. If this movie resonates even with a few people who have never had a fandom experience I say it was all worth the effort. Sometimes entertainment is made NOT for us.

Wow, youre so clever and smart, you must be a hit at parties.:rolleyes

But I was asking about Funkyjedi why he was making it personal. So what if he craps on a movie? We are on the internet after all. Im just asking why he was attacking him personally,.

Not to mention many more personal attacks by Snikt on D-Osborn and others in the other thread & BVS thread. Serious question, Snikt, are you just lacking in self awareness of what you post? I'm not getting into 'name calling' again here, I really want to know how you can't see you are more guilty of this than who you are accusing?

What is your problem, Neil?... every positive review you call a shill, or feminist, or SJW...

but every negative you pre empt with more negativity...

You're just miserable and making the boards miserable.

You're beating a dead horse man. It's impossible for him to let it go and not have the last word. Watch him prove me right, it's hysterical.

Just don't engage, or nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

And the same people complain about Rey calling her a failed character or Mary Sue and I see a hero for young girls and boys alike. So what if this fictitious young teen girl loves the characters in this film and wants to dress up as a femal Ghostbusters for Haloween? From my high horse I will tell her that's great, not sure what position you will be in. If this movie resonates even with a few people who have never had a fandom experience I say it was all worth the effort. Sometimes entertainment is made NOT for us.

OK all fine.

I don't think any of us actually said it's wrong for little girls to dress up as Ghostbusters, but for the record, I, like you, think that's great. More power to them and anyone who says they shouldn't be ghostbusters is a tool. I'll repeat that: anyone who says that girls shouldn't be ghostbusters is a tool. Thats where I stand.

I also don't mind if people disagree with me (Something I'm not sure you're always on board with). You really CAN like this movie. I think even Neil probably doesn't mind if you decide to like it.

But you didn't come to talk about how great the movie was did you? You were bashing them for not liking it. So take a breath and heed your own advice on this one: Sometimes people have their own opinions on things.

OK all fine.

I don't think any of us actually said it's wrong for little girls to dress up as Ghostbusters, but for the record, I, like you, think that's great. More power to them and anyone who says they shouldn't be ghostbusters is a tool. I'll repeat that: anyone who says that girls shouldn't be ghostbusters is a tool. Thats where I stand.

I also don't mind if people disagree with me (Something I'm not sure you're always on board with). You really CAN like this movie. I think even Neil probably doesn't mind if you decide to like it.

But you didn't come to talk about how great the movie was did you? You were bashing them for not liking it. So take a breath and heed your own advice on this one: Sometimes people have their own opinions on things.

No, I only joined this mess when the review embargo was lifted and was shocked at the level of vitriol. A lot of it deviates from a rational film critique to something more ugly. And I don't mind people not agreeing with me, but be prepared to defend that position. This is a chat board and that's the nature of discussion.

OK all fine.

But that goes for 'both sides' doesn't it? These threads have been dominated by passive-agressive attacks on anyone deemed to be supporting the movie. Now it's getting turned back on them, and panties are getting wadded at being called for the bullying tactics. Both sides need to take a deep breath and calm down. We have no power over how this plays out, that'll be the blissfully unaware public who either do or don't go to watch this movie.

No, I only joined this mess when the review embargo was lifted and was shocked at the level of vitriol. A lot of it deviates from a rational film critique to something more ugly. And I don't mind people not agreeing with me, but be prepared to defend that position. This is a chat board and that's the nature of discussion.

Fair enough. But I'll say again: take your own advice. You came right out of the gates with more vitriol of your own didn't you?

Not everyone who thinks this looks like a turd is sexist and if that's what you're bringing to the table, fine. You do get to think that, but you don't get to look down on OTHERS for being trolls when that's all you've got.

You really CAN like this movie. I think even Neil probably doesn't mind if you decide to like it.

Yep, I've said it before.. and i'll say it again, for the last time.

you CAN like the movie. you just can.

If I bug you that much, put me on ignore. us anti people can have our own little conversation, going into the pro on occasion, and the pro people can enjoy their life without us hateful trolls bothering you.

constantly bashing on me for whatever reason is just as sad as me constantly bashing on this crummy little movie. except I have fun with it, and yes, I know it's sad to beat the **** out of a no nonsense movie that'll probably be forgotten in two weeks. but guess what? I like doing it. when it's deserved. and here, it's deserved! and i think i've been pretty calm with the abuse, starting with a certain other member calling me crazy for the past 6 months non stop. the first joyful ignore.

Believe me, i'm tired of being negative too. I'd much rather enjoy something. but, until hollywood gets it right, at least to MY standards, that ain't happening.

In a week or so, when it all dies down, and the box office results yield one side or the other..it'll be time to move on to the next one. only not as severe most likely because GB and TMNT WHERE two of my biggest past times until the last three years or so. I'm so sick of how both have gotten so terrible, i no longer care.. after this, i'm worn out and down.

So, hate me all you want. i'm going on having fun.
that's what the ignore button is for.

I'm not addressing this again. do your own thing.

Fair enough. But I'll say again: take your own advice. You came right out of the gates with more vitriol of your own didn't you?

Not everyone who thinks this looks like a turd is sexist and if that's what you're bringing to the table, fine. You do get to think that, but you don't get to look down on OTHERS for being trolls when that's all you've got.

I never said that, not even remotely. I'm exceedingly pragmatic and not very PC but I have read comments in this thread that have an uncomfortable dusting of misogyny and that's a bridge too far. I agree this could be a huge turd but I see no issue with doing a gender flip on a silly comedy I saw in high school in 1984.

I saw a similar review... only problem is all the characters that were described that in a negative light, were all treated the same in the original...

******* mayor...

Evil guy wanting to shut down the containment unit...

Evil guy who didn't want to pay cuz they wrecked his dining room...

Goofy nerd down the hall from the girl...

That's really dodging the criticism completely, don't you think? There were, of course, men & women we could like and respect in the real/original Ghostbusters.

I'd bring up the fact that Dan Aykroyd was on the radio here in L.A. this morning supporting this film and making fun of the "Hollywood has raped my childhood" crybabies, but I'm sure some would just say that he did that because he was paid to.

I never said that, not even remotely. I'm exceedingly pragmatic and not very PC but I have read comments in this thread that have an uncomfortable dusting of misogyny and that's a bridge too far. I agree this could be a huge turd but I see no issue with doing a gender flip on a silly comedy I saw in high school in 1984.

Well to be honest for some people its more then a silly comedy, like starwas isnt just a silly space movie. You are doing the whole, we are arguing about a gender flip. While most people are against the basic idea of a reboot or this kinda of director behind the wheel.

and i think i've been pretty calm with the abuse, starting with a certain other member calling me crazy for the past 6 months non stop. the first joyful ignore.
I'm guessing he's talking about me here? I've never been a mean-spirited individual, and even tried to apologize to Neil here and on Facebook for any unintended hurt feelings. My comments were in jest-- meant to me snarky, but not hurtful. After going back and looking through some of the old posts on this thread, my posts weren't even that bad. Abuse? Really? Dude likes to play the victim while lashing out at anyone posting anything relatively positive about the reboot, as well as making fun of crew and acting talent's names, looks, weight, etc.

I'd bring up the fact that Dan Aykroyd was on the radio here in L.A. this morning supporting this film and making fun of the "Hollywood has raped my childhood" crybabies, but I'm sure some would just say that he did that because he was paid to.
It's low-hanging fruit that takes the critical heat off of the reboot while making people laugh. I don't blame Aykroyd for making fun of them. Reitman has the best comments on it, though-- he takes the butt-hurtedness as a compliment to his prior work. Classy dude!

Last edited:

That's really dodging the criticism completely, don't you think? There were, of course, men & women we could like and respect in the real/original Ghostbusters.

okay I'll take the criticism head on...

The leads of this movie are going to be surrounded by antagonists, much like the leads of the last.

All the antagonists will be male, just like in the original... and all will be made to boost the leads to hero status.

And if this person is concerned there were no male characters for young boys to look up to in this movie, then may I ask that reviewer what female characters were in the first that a young girl could look up to?

Was it Janine, the secretary, bored at work... or Dana... the girl who got possessed and was inactive through the entire climax of the movie?

Gozer?

he signed an NDA.

He can't bash the movie.

The fact that he doesn't have the balls not to go down THIS road, like Reitman so far seems to have, lowers my opinion of him only a little.
and as far as i know, this would be the ONLY time he's done it.

It'd be interesting to hear audio. does he sound comfortable saying it? in a jay leno's gargae clip he looked downright depressed talking about the new ecto and he couldn't even really get through 'passing the torch'.

The Dude is in a no win situation.

Sony has the power here, and he knows it. he's probably just happy to have earned a producer credit at all, let alone be let anywhere NEAR the set.

I will say this for the cast.

has McKinnon joined in on any of the nerd bashing?

The two biggest offenders are the mouths, Mcarthy and Jones. I've heard wigg kind of do it, but what I remember hearing didn't sound like she wanted to do it..kind of the delivery like 'yeah, I'll try and join in only cause the popular kids are doing it, but i don't really believe in it myself'. And I only remember her doing it once on one of the talk show appearances..at least that's how i remember it sounding at the time.

If McKinnon has stayed out of it, more power too her.

Do you all know how to save a .gif from Twitter?

(GB spoiler imagery)

https://twitter.com/Erik_Boielle/status/752913757513388032

That shot is the least of the annoying things going on there...

I picture a young Paul Fieg (in a little suit), 8 years or so old, holding the VHS box of Ghostbusters... his father is busy mulling over the bills when Paul starts bugging him with questions...

"Dad... why isn't the ghost from the cover in the movie?"

"I don't know, Paul... I'm busy"

"But he's like, on the car... on the poster... "

"Maybe because it doesn't look human... I dunno... I'm bus-"

"But other ghosts don't look human... like Stay Puft..."

"Because he's just their logo Paul..."

"But in the Ghostbusters cartoon they show him walking down a street so-"

"JEEZ PAUL! IF YOU WANT THAT GHOST IN THE DAMN MOVIE SO BAD GO AND MAKE YOUR OWN GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!"

30 years later...

GB7-768x442.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back