Rebirth Robin

Il Princerino

Sr Member
Hello fellow RPFers! First build thread in a while and also my first build from scratch(mostly). This year for Halloween my son and I are going as Batman and Robin(finally!!!)Cause, let's be real I've wanted to do this since I found out I was having a son.:D And while I will probably get a store bought costume with a few mods I've decided to build my son's Robin costume because I LOVE the new Rebirth costume .I've seen it drawn a couple different ways so I will be using a combination and taking the aspects I like best. Here's what I'll be using for reference. robin.jpgrobinII.jpgrobinIII.pngrobinV.png

I'll be going with the all yellow trim from the 1st and last pictures, with the shorter cape from the second picture and I prefer the boots with red laces in the 2nd and last pics.Especially since any foam armour I put on the legs will be destroyed in about 2 seconds with a hyperactive 8 yr old. I won't actually be using boots, but instead I will make boot covers that lace tight. I will keep the gloves armoured though, using crafting foam for both the armour and the fins.
The "R" symbol will be an iron on that I am getting from Amazon. The utility belt will also be from Amazon, but I will be modifying it slightly to match the buckle. And the kneepads will be some that he already has that I will paint. The black tights undersuit will be just some underarmour that he already has as well.
I am heading to the fabric store tomorrow and will start cutting it out soon thereafter. I will keep you posted.

1 question, for the gloves, what would be the best way to attach the foam to the gloves.

That Robin looks awesome. I hope you post lots of progress shots. Maybe I could convince my daughter (3 years old) to play a Robin to my batman this Halloween

OK. I finally STARTED building this. After procrastinating for a while and then getting caught up making costumes for my son and nephew for the local renaissance festival I realized that I only have a couple weeks to finish this. So here comes the mad rush to finish on time, and, wouldn't you know it problem number one right off the bat. It seems that I didn't get enough of the black fabric to make the cape. So tomorrow I'm off to the fabric store to try again. I did, however, get the yellow underside of the cape done. When I have all the black fabric I need, I will simply pin this to it and cut it out. Then I will sew them together and slap on a hood.
003.jpg

Once I've finished the cape I will start on the tunic. I have a red fabric with a good texture, but it is too thin. So I will make a black, t-shirt material underside to thicken it up. Pics to follow shortly.

alrighty, here we are so far
003.jpg with my son as an unruly manniquin I roughed out a pattern with an old bedsheet with zero stretch so I knew that it would fit

001.jpg I used some black t-shirt fabric as an underlayer to thicken up the tunic because I liked the texture of the red, but it was too thin for my liking and sewed the two together. I'm using the left over yellow fabric from the underside of the cape for the trim and accent pieces on the tunic.

Still the less than enthused manniquin my son gets more excited as we go.
002.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg
The mask is an old foam Green Lantern mask that I trimmed to shape. I made the bottom part of the tunic a separate piece which I will make like a belt that velcros together under his utility belt.The cape is put together and the hood is made though I still haven't attached it yet. I still have to put the yellow trim on the cape itself, then I will sew the hood to it I've already put the velcro on the cape itself so that it won't pull on his neck. I will do little bits as the week goes on and finished the rest next weekend, but I am happy with the way it is turning out. Especially since this is the first time I have done a costume from scratch. More pics to follow, stay tuned!

Nothing much to report today. Finished sewing together all the parts I cut out yesterday. The tunic is done except for the "R" symbol, which is an Iron On so I'm not in a real hurry to get that. The bottom part is cut out and measured and the velcro is attached so all I have left is to add the yellow trim.

Then it's on to the gloves and the bootcovers, which I don't anticipate on taking very long. Although I would like some advice on what would be the best way to attach the rubber armored pieces to the fabric gloves?

OK, except for the"R" symbol, the tunic is finished. The cape is done and all is looking good. I ended up leaving the collar of the tunic off because he said it was itchy when I mocked it up, but that's ok, I'm not super concerned with accuracy, plus you wouldn't be able to see it withe hood up anyway.

001.jpg002.jpg

Tomorrow I will cut out the gloves and boot tops.

Alright. So, as it turns out, I suck at making gloves. Something that I will have to keep practicing(and I will), but for now we took some old batman gloves, hot glued the armour pieces to and painted green.The boot toppers are done and they look good. So all I have left is to paint the buckle(which is currently being glued to belt) and iron on the "R" and that's it the costume will be finito. Pics to follow when everything is dried.

And here we are, the costume is done.

002.jpg003.jpg004.jpg005.jpg006.jpg007.jpg008.jpg

The bo staff is and old broom handle with electrical tape on one side. I may throw another coat or two of paint on the buckle just to brighten it up more, but this is it. And he loves it, which made this whole endeavor worth it. Like I said this was my first try at making an entire costume from scratch and it was more fun than I thought and definitely worth the pay off.

Assuming that the tunic still fits when the next con roles around, I plan on re-using this with some improvements. I plan on replacing the yellow accents on the front of the tunic with some felt material, both to make them stand out more and to fix some of the placement and/or shaping issues I had with the left over cape fabric.

Happy Halloween everybody! Have fun and be safe trick r treating.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back