Red Comet Zaku II WIP

niugnep

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So, I'm starting a Zaku II build that I'm busting ass to have done in time for DragonCon. I would've got to this earlier, but I needed to finish my damn Cyberman. HAHA.

This will be a group costume with my buddy in an RX and two gender bent pilots.

First off, go look up Clive Lee! He is the master at making gundams and has done the definitive instructional book on the basics of gundam building. This is an incredibly valuable resource and it well worth your time to read the 70 or so pages he's put together.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=160555

Basically, first thing I did was buy myself a Zaku II model kit from Bandai. If you've never had one of these things, get it! It's worth it and you can see how all the parts fit together. Takes a few hours to build, but it helps as visual representation when you're building the pieces. So far, this has worked for me.

The other big advantage with these gundam models is that they have something similar to a blue print in the instruction manual... it's a line drawing of straight on front, one side, and back view. This IS perfect for developing your patterns. I taught myself sewing, so I work with patterns. I sometimes due stuff by eye, but normally I will develop a pattern first out of tin foil or paper and then convert it over to the foam. My thought is that maybe in the future I will possibly make these patterns available on this forum as wondersquid did for the cyberman (which I build and it's wonderful).

First thing I did was figure out how this thing was going to scale. With my model kit, I could measure it and then scale it up to the size I wanted. Basically, I decided I wanted it to be 7 ft tall from the floor to top of the helmet fin. The thing to understand about gundams is that they are not truly proportional. They have longer legs than humans and the shoulders are square to the body... etc etc. I'm 6ft tall, I'm going to add the extra height to the legs so that the rest of the body will scaled proportionally.

Next, I did a scan those B&W line drawings of the Zaku. Then I took a full body picture of me. Then I took those two pictures in photoshop. First we scale the picture of zaku to the height I want. To do this, I took them into photoshop and turned on my ruler function. Then we merge the two images together and I fit my zaku scan to be the size I want.

27839863390_ce749c7edf_o.jpg

The red line is where the bottom of my foot will go... I know it looks a little weird... because it's impossible to get a perfectly head on picture. Anyway, this will start to give you a great idea of proportion. As you can see, all the additional height is going to come from some sort of lifts in the shoes...

I took these properly scaled images in jpg format to Kinkos. They will print them out, life size, on there plotter. Ask for the cheapest paper they have... mine worked out be .80 or something a sq ft. So, printing full front, side and back view... then detail of each of the sections, arms, torso, and leg (front/side/back)... all in, it cost me about $70/$80. Quickly, we realized that this was a VERY worthwhile investment. Especially since I'm under a bit of a time crunch to get this turn around a 7ft full foam costume in less than two months!

We could take these print outs, but them against a wall and put me directly against it. With this we could fine tune the height.

27839863540_7dabc389a6_z.jpg

27505272943_6f604f8548_o.jpg

You can see what a huge help this method will be toward a build. The first thing that I did, even before I did the printout, is the base of the helmet just to get a feel for the build and get myself in the mood. In the picture above, I'm super pleased that I scaled the helmet correctly even though I didn't have this wonderful reference.

I decided to start from the bottom up. Sorry, I didn't start taking pictures of my patterns until I got to the thighs.

28042464871_4b735ef0ab_z.jpg

The legs mostly assembled, minus the top of the foot/ankle... the pattern pieces are done, but I just haven't had time to put them in yet because of my real job.

28042464501_f6053106ba_z.jpg

27505273083_e3f2985f9f_z.jpg

The other advantage of this resource is that you can place your finished products up against the line drawing to check scale (such an important factor to making the costume look right). It kind looks like it's loading the 3D costume from the bottom up. Heh.

I'll be updating more regularly than I will here (unfortunately) on my instagram feed @EvILpenguinlabs so follow me there if you want more up-to-date pictures of the build process. I'll be happy to answer any questions you have... I'll try my best to update as often as I can.

Cheers....

Last edited:
Sweet deal another Gundam, nice start. Sub'd...

I got a build in the works a RX-78-2-Custom, but won't post a thread until I finished my current build.

Thanks. I'm working on it as much as I can.

Today, after a long day at work, I was able to squeeze a couple of hours out to finish the feet.

27528216704_c77b8b3aa4_c.jpg

I've also started a series of tubes that will I need a zillion of... I start by cutting them to shape and then scoring them with the blade. Then using a heat gun, I open the scores up (with a respirator). Then you can make a neat little closed tube.

28065163631_41cf4ff3e5_c.jpg

Sorry for the serious lack of updates but I've been slammed at work and then every free minute I have goes to trying to complete this costume in time.

Most of the fabrication is done at this point and I'm on to battle damage/weather and painting. Some minor fabrication still needs to happen and I need to rig a system for the eye. Also strapping is still left... but anyway... I'll update way more with very detailed pictures after DragonCon.

Here are some pictures though:
28310378823_092fdc8680_c.jpg

28640639520_96f7b1faa6_c.jpg

28849923171_7fe19e4c55_c.jpg

Attachments

• 28310378823_092fdc8680_c.jpg
    28310378823_092fdc8680_c.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 355
Let's talk about the feet for a second. This is the part I actually started with, so I figure it's a good place to start getting specific.

I calculated that I needed to be an additional 7 inches tall. Again, this is based on giant life size Zaku print scaled to my size. That puts my eyes in the correct place on the helmet.

I created the pattern for the shoes and extended them to allow for 7 extra inches of lift.

28307971104_893417b86d_c.jpg

28640659410_f57664d7be_c.jpg

28926153495_a04b07b6b3_c.jpg

They kind of look like giant KISS boots to me, but hey, Zeon has good style. ;)

The really hard part here was figuring out I was going to platform myself and be stable enough to walk. There are MANY tutorials on this... I decided to ignore all of them bc I'm dumb. The solution my friend and I came up with was ::drumroll:: BALSA WOOD. So awesome... I ordered 8 2in x 12in pieces and 8 1.5in x 12in pieces... I didn't know the exact configuration I would need and it takes time to get them, so I didn't want to have to wait in case I miscalculated. You can get away with less if you just do the math.

Once I figured out how many I needed... with two sheets of foam underneath me and my shoes, I glued the balsa wood together with barge then reinforced the connection with gorilla tape. That stuff is crazy strong.

28849902841_033cf04ef6_c.jpg

28638757700_24cbee6311_c.jpg

I then cut up another sole that fit the balsa wood perfectly. This will keep it from sliding and potentially killing me, if the barge that attaches to the sole comes loose.

28849918061_34a44d1564_c.jpg

I glue the shoes to the top of the balsa wood. Just a pair of old running shoes that I was going to throw out. I replaced the laces with quick laces so I would only have to mess with the exposed part of the laces. And done... these are solid and I can move amazing well in them. I can even sorta jog! I can also jump a few inches off the ground, even though I'm in these ridiculous things... but I tell you, I feel ROCK SOLID.

28640651750_65872abd3a_c.jpg

Yes, can't wait to see the finished pictures, you mention your other buddy is going as a RX-78?Does he have any build pics as well? Would love to see that one also.

Yes, can't wait to see the finished pictures, you mention your other buddy is going as a RX-78?Does he have any build pics as well? Would love to see that one also.

I don't think so. We're working out of the same shop though and sometimes we're live casting on FB under Titan Artillery.

https://www.facebook.com/titanartillery

Also, we plan on doing some videos and tutorials at our website (which isn't up yet... sorry).

What's up guys, I'm Michael, I'm building the Rx-78-2 gundam with David here. I'll be posting pics on here as well but you can get way quicker updates and ask any questions on Instagram - @bogle_build and like our Facebook page Titan ARTillery

What's up guys, I'm Michael, I'm building the Rx-78-2 gundam with David here. I'll be posting pics on here as well but you can get way quicker updates and ask any questions on Instagram - @bogle_build and like our Facebook page Titan ARTillery

Sweet, glad to hear, as I too am building a RX-78-2 and would love to see more of your progress/build.
Super duper old Gundam/Chopy fan here from the "old" days, so totally digg'n what you guys are doing.
I checked out the pics you have and I love the weathering and battle damages, looking great!
Looks like you are farther ahead than David. ;)

Looks like you are farther ahead than David. ;)

Ha! True. But only because he had a month or two head start as I was finishing a cyberman build and TV show at the time. Hehe. I'm hustling my butt of to catch up. :cool

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments. Like I said, I'm going to try to get some tutorial in this thread and after DC I'm going to look at the possibility of organizing my patterns. Do you have a thread on your RX build? We'd love to see it!

Ha! True. But only because he had a month or two head start as I was finishing a cyberman build and TV show at the time. Hehe. I'm hustling my butt of to catch up. :cool

Seriously though, thanks for the compliments. Like I said, I'm going to try to get some tutorial in this thread and after DC I'm going to look at the possibility of organizing my patterns. Do you have a thread on your RX build? We'd love to see it!

Yeah, I saw that you started a bit later and have only 2 months to power build. Was just poking some fun your guys way. ;)

I don't have a thread up yet as I am trying to complete my Ronan build first but I have a lot of pics and text all ready to post.
I started it a bit after I started doing my current build so I am actually doing two projects at the same time. [madness]
Probably a week or so then I will start a thread as I am about 98% done with Ronan.

Yeah, I saw that you started a bit later and have only 2 months to power build. Was just poking some fun your guys way. ;)

I don't have a thread up yet as I am trying to complete my Ronan build first but I have a lot of pics and text all ready to post.
I started it a bit after I started doing my current build so I am actually doing two projects at the same time. [madness]
Probably a week or so then I will start a thread as I am about 98% done with Ronan.

I'm just joking around. This is a power build for both of us and kinda of a little bit crazy.

Doing two projects at once? Yeah, that gets a bit crazy just trying to keep track of everything. Sounds exciting though! Can't wait to see some of your build threads!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back