General Star Wars Decor, for small photography setups

CrossRhoda

Hey everyone,

So, I'm potentially taking on a big Star Wars project in the near future, and in the course of looking for ideas I found the RPF, and have been devouring old posts ever since...

I do a lot of food photography, and I'm hoping to make a number of backgrounds and scene settings to firmly place the recipes in the world of Star Wars, whether it's the trenches of Hoth, an ambassador dinner on Coruscant, or an imperial canteen (because that had to exist, in theory, somewhere other than just in the Eddie Izzard sketch, right?). The settings all have pretty individualized aesthetics, from the imperial black/red industrial, to the slight rust-bucketness of the Falcon, to the clean lines of Bespin and the warm curves of Tatooine.

So far, my list of definite build projects includes a gonk droid, a mouse droid, possibly some blasters (although I don't think I could do them as much justice as most on this forum), and a number of backdrops- cantinas, insides of ships, cockpits, cargo holds, etc. Most of those would only need to be 2-3' square, but I'd likely do a couple of larger ones, too, pending time and means. I've been so inspired by some of the builds on here (Smuggler's Room, I'm looking at you...), and now I've started hoarding greebles like it's my job.

But I'd love to get some input on what more generic props everyone would consider fitting for the SW universe. Of course, they'd be location specific, but I'm thinking of beat up trunks, canisters, storage pods, etc. But little things, too, like the medals from the awards ceremony in ANH, or Rey's little fighter pilot doll from TFA.

Sorry if that's a little all over the place- I'm still in the brainstorming phase myself! :)

So, for example, I love the look of the little doll that Rey has in her AT-AT in TFA, or the lanterns that Luke has sitting on his supplies on Dagobah. For larger settings, I'd hope to add in details that imply a larger space than what I'm actually shooting, but I haven't seen builds for the more background stuff, like the lights(?) in the ground of the hangar on Hoth, or the crates for cargo on the Falcon and scattered throughout the various worlds. I really like the segmented blue boxes that are all over Battlefront, but haven't found a good screenshot of them from the films.

star wars props details.jpg

In some very fun news, I told the local computer repair guys that I'm building a droid, and they gave me my pick of their scrap materials. Can't wait to get started! I'll pop in some photos as I go, but I'm super excited about those wires and red boxes...
28110482075_bd10a0180b_z.jpg

Collecting greeblies can become quite addictive ... my advice ... keep it simple ... start with sketching one recipe + set and then collect all pieces and props that will be in frame ... perhaps even the use of a green screen is permitted to allow seperate shot plates and or backdrops being filled in via photoshop :) Main objective is to photograph good and perhaps even healthy food being presented in a STAR WARS setting ... everything else is icing on your cake ;)

Chaim

Collecting greeblies can become quite addictive ...

Oh man... you've got me accurately pegged as a compulsive project starter. :)

Sound advice all around, though. I've started on a single droid build to try and keep myself from getting too carried away with everything. I'm hoping to scout some cool locations in the near future, too. At least I have a big garage so I can just store things in there!

Taking a renewed crack at this, with some helpful screengrabs from EA's Battlefront. Some easy pvc greebles in there, and straightforward enough wall panels, I think. Now I just have to decide how big to make the sections... I usually photograph dishes in about a 2'x3' space, so I can probably fudge the background panel size somewhat with perspective. It might also make sense to make them quasi-modular, with velcro or some such, so I can change the pieces around as needed.

attachment.php

The thing I thought of was the conference table from the Death Star in ANH (that Tarkin and the others sit around), and the 'dining room' from the Vader reveal on Cloud City in ESB.

Dinner with Yoda. :p
Rootleaf Stew! :D
Rootleaf Stew.png

- - - Updated - - -

The thing I thought of was the conference table from the Death Star in ANH (that Tarkin and the others sit around), and the 'dining room' from the Vader reveal on Cloud City in ESB.

Yes! I seriously need some table surfaces, as well. All I've got are wooden ones kicking around, and could use some more industrial style stuff. I like the idea of an Imperial peon at some less-observed substation putting his snack down on the control panel, too. I'm going to try my hand at a few of those this week, hopefully.

First of the death star background panels. It's just two layers of foam board, painted to give a little more depth. I'm counting on it being blurry in the background. ;) I have a larger section started as well, but am waiting on the reflectors for the buttons.
attachment.php

Still chugging along! I've got the lights attached to the death star control panel- just waiting for my striping tape to arrive. I also started a base for an Endor tree prop...

attachment.php

attachment.php

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back