Kobold Droid Caller Differences

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I managed to win a few eBay auctions for 2 Kobold flash units. They are quite different after receiving them. I'd like to use one for my Luke Skywalker costume and the other for my Jawa 1:1 prop. This is how I received them. Both tops are different, both flash hood tracks are different & mount different, buttons & bulbs are different & in different locations, neither have a knurled bottom cap, both have different top accessories, and only the silver one has the brass lever/switch? Any advise on the differences?

IMG_4752_zpskkl2ytlc.jpg

IMG_4753_zpsjl2ajsxk.jpg

I'd like some help on the short Kobold - I know the Jawa DC used a top cap, which I have purchased from Cameron and I believe the D ring goes through the bulb. But I'm not sure this is even a correct Kobold because it's short, doesn't have the small lever/switch, and the bulb, button, & flash hood mount are different & in different locations.

The silver one I believe to be a correct Kobold for Luke or Han. For a Luke DC - Does it use the knurled cap on the bottom? What's on the top? How does it hand on his belt clip & does it have a D ring & where does the D ring mount? I'd love some help on these, thanks!

Chad

Here's a few more pictures

IMG_4756_zpsqwgbdjm7.jpg

IMG_4755_zpssdhgz0d0.jpg

Hi Chad,

The smaller black Kobold seems to be a slave unit and is not STAR WARS related also wrong clamp for Luke's ESB D-ring ... still it could be used for a Jawa prop though :) The silver Kobold is more accurate for an ESB unit with some black paint added ... great score :)

Chaim

Hi Chad,

The smaller black Kobold seems to be a slave unit and is not STAR WARS related also wrong clamp for Luke's ESB D-ring ... still it could be used for a Jawa prop though :) The silver Kobold is more accurate for an ESB unit with some black paint added ... great score :)

Chaim

thanks Chaim! How about D ring mounting for Luke's belt? Bottom knurled cap? Yes or no?

The small one is nothing really accurate, but i wouldn´t be worried to use it for a Jawa. The silver is better.

For a accurate Han ANH you would need the black textured version, with a stepped top, and a knurled edge on the bottom plate.

For a accurate Luke ANH you would need the silver version, but with a stepped top, and a smooth edge on the bottom plate. Bulb cover used for hanging.

For a accurate Han ESB you would need the silver version, but with a stepped top, and the knurled edge on the bottom plate. No bulb or cover, but with reflector brachet

For a accurate Han ROTJ you would need the silver version, but with a stepped top, and a smooth edge on the bottom plate. With bulb cover, but no reflector bracket.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice score, Im addicted to the Kobolds!

I know what you mean - but i decided to stop buying. Enough is enough, :lol

Thanks for the info Michael. So ANH Luke, the silver one is good with the stepped top like how I have it in the bottom pics? And no knurlings on the bottom "cap" that threads into the bottom of the Kobold?

It´s probably best for Han ESB, just need the black painted body, but doable for Luke, too (if it doesn´t need being TOO accurate).

For Luke the bottom should be smooth edged (hardest to find version), and another bulb/cover. Just made a pic, sorry for the bad quality, not the best lighting atm.

Lukes is the one on the lower tier in the middle, D-ring would be drilled through the plastic bulb cover - your´s looks glass, so better mount it to the bracket (or keep that original and replace it with one of Roys replicas for the D-ring).

20160626_212504_zpsy3niowfh.png

Thanks Michael. If Roy is the guy on eBay that sells the solid transparent threaded build replacement and a D ring, he's on vacation until Tuesday. I will purchase one from him. Isn't Luke's DC body textured back? Maybe I'll ask Dmachineist to make me a smooth un-knurled bottom. The bottom center in your pic doesn't have any top cap - build socket?

No idea who offers what on ebay, sorry. I next to never look for replacement parts there.

I´m talking about this Roy : http://wannawanga.com/shop/ - Usename roygilsing here on RPF.

Han ANH textured, Luke not.

No comment on DEC from my side, i will never buy anything from him (if the transition boxes were made by him i´m out).

What do you mean with "top cap-build socket"?

Ah, the bulb adaptor. I took them out from all my Kobolds, as they are not used on screen. They are stored with the reflectors and many other cameraparts, in the basement.

Only one of my Kobolds has it, the one i made when building a flashlight/torchlight into it.

I know who you are talking about on eBay, hes a real nice guy. I asked for a plastic bulb "cover" (actually it was a cast of the flat top/ recessed bulb on the black Kobolds.) He didn't have it but said he would try to make one. Then he gave it to me for free. This reminds me that I need to buy some of them from him for my silver Kobolds.

Michael, I didn't even know the unknurled ones existed! Also, I found a diamond knurled large flat/ thin mount screw for the silver, smaller mount holes. I hope this makes sense, if I was home I would take a pic. I picked up my large straight knurled flat mount screw from DEC, sometimes he lists a couple of them.

Here's a pic of what Im talking about:

View attachment 638491

Michael, I didn't even know the unknurled ones existed! Also, I found a diamond knurled large flat/ thin mount screw for the silver, smaller mount holes. I hope this makes sense, if I was home I would take a pic. I picked up my large straight knurled flat mount screw from DEC, sometimes he lists a couple of them.

Here's a pic of what Im talking about:

View attachment 638491

Bad link Tom, can you post the actual pic? Thanks

Cameron's top cap is cool for my Jawa droid caller. I also ordered one of Roy's D rings. Anyone know how the Jawa D ring mounted & to what part of the droid caller?

IMG_4905_zpsuctcbe23.jpg

If anyone's willing to sell me an original kobold d ring itself(with the two holes right next to each other on the top) I might be willing to make a deal. I recently purchased an original graflex and an original extra red button, so I might as well go all the way with accuracy. Thanks!

Don't know where else to ask, this seemed to be the most relevant thread.

Which is the more sought after version, silver or black? Would you value one higher than the other?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back