Upholstery Foam carving tool on Mythbusters Simpson's special

GotWookiee

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So on the Simpson's episode of Mythbusters they built a Homer dummy out of upholstery foam. I've done a fair bit of upholstery foam carving with an electric turkey carving knife and a bandsaw, and a bit of shaping with a die grinder but asavage had some kind of really cool wand tool to do some shaping. Looks like it might have been air powered. Any idea what it is?

Also, those of you with extensive experience carving and shaping upholstery foam, what tools/techniques do you use?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
So on the Simpson's episode of Mythbusters they built a Homer dummy out of upholstery foam. I've done a fair bit of upholstery foam carving with an electric turkey carving knife and a bandsaw, and a bit of shaping with a die grinder but @asavage had some kind of really cool wand tool to do some shaping. Looks like it might have been air powered. Any idea what it is?

Also, those of you with extensive experience carving and shaping upholstery foam, what tools/techniques do you use?

Thanks
Hot wire foam cutters are great.

Hot wire foam cutters will cut through expanded polystyrene and Styrofoam like a hot knife through butter, but just singe upholstery foam.

Here is a pic of the tool in question.
Screenshot 2016-06-23 20.52.45.pngScreenshot 2016-06-23 20.52.52.pngScreenshot 2016-06-23 20.52.57.pngScreenshot 2016-06-23 20.53.00.png

I used two tools primarily. The fingersander above. Which btw is a GREAT tool to have in your arsenal. Many versions. Inexpensive is pretty fine for light work. I also used an upholsterer's foam cutter:
http://www.toolup.com/Bosch-1575A-F...5&cadevice=c&gclid=CPqy8dymxc0CFcQkhgodutcEvg
Expensive but super amazing for large scale foam cutting. But in a pinch meat carvers are ok
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/6553861/?catalogId=11&sku=6553861&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&gclid=CJiL_4qnxc0CFcdehgod0gkAXg&kwid=productads-adid^45527542063-device^c-plaid^84645286183-sku^6553861-adType^PLA

And they come even less expensive.

I never knew you could use a sander on seating foam. I'm going into work shortly so I'll give it a go.
The Bosch is a lot more expensive here; the cheapest I can find is £326.00 / $446.00.
Great think about this industry / hobby is that there's always something new to learn!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back