Need advice on painting eyebrow hairs on live model, not punched. Self applied.

greenmachines

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I need some advice on painting single hairs into my eyebrows. I need to add some additional hairs and will be far enough from camera to not require laying hair. However, the available products at beauty stores are ludicrously overblown on their advertising and DO NOT PRODUCE HAIRLIKE LINES. My guess is that using a one or two hair brush with alcohol paints would suffice. I can see that the hero character would have laid in brows for closeups but I am self applying and am hoping for a painted application. Still working on my Will Turner so in this pic you can see his brow on the left of pic is closer to the bridge of his nose and I need to darken my brow but also add some hairs(right of pic). Tips?

gwj18bergdag.jpg

I need some advice on painting single hairs into my eyebrows. I need to add some additional hairs and will be far enough from camera to not require laying hair. However, the available products at beauty stores are ludicrously overblown on their advertising and DO NOT PRODUCE HAIRLIKE LINES. My guess is that using a one or two hair brush with alcohol paints would suffice. I can see that the hero character would have laid in brows for closeups but I am self applying and am hoping for a painted application. Still working on my Will Turner so in this pic you can see his brow on the left of pic is closer to the bridge of his nose and I need to darken my brow but also add some hairs(right of pic). Tips?

View attachment 1682100
I recommend going to a salon and having a microblade artist help you out. It’s not cheap, of course.

(Amazing the types of knowledge you acquire when you have a daughter)

Yep, the false lashes is another trick combined with a good colored lacquer brow product. I know, lots of work putting all of those extra little hair but worth it in the end;) I would start to color the eyebrows to see how much you have. Then go from there by adding more.

Ya, it was highly disappointing to find that yet again, all the hype about the brow hair drawing tools from cosmetic companies is fake. These self inking single and multiple hair sticks draw 1/16 to 1/8 inch wide bars, not thin hairs. They have obviously thick rubber tendrils instead of brush hairs. A paint brush is way above this standard already. Actually, I am deeply angered by the ongoing false advertising in cosmetics. Regular art tools far exceed the quality of most major brand cosmetics. Their select audience must be below par intelligence. Now I know why the effects kits are so expensive for the upper end products and why they don't purchase cosmetic brands.

Last edited:
Ya, it was highly disappointing to find that yet again, all the hype about the brow hair drawing tools from cosmetic companies is fake. These self inking single and multiple hair sticks draw 1/16 to 1/8 inch wide bars, not thin hairs. They have obviously thick rubber tendrils instead of brush hairs. A paint brush is way above this standard already. Actually, I am deeply angered by the ongoing false advertising in cosmetics. Regular art tools far exceed the quality of most major brand cosmetics. Their select audience must be below par intelligence. Now I know why the effects kits are so expensive for the upper end products and why they don't purchase cosmetic brands.
Don't broach the subject of marketing in the Cosmetic Industry to my wifeo_Oo_O:oops::oops:!! One day, she's going to go nuclear on their **sses:devil::devil:
I know exactly what you mean; there's a book (Paula Choice, author ) called "Don't go to the cosmetic counter without me".
Excellent book touching on a myriad of products and the pro-con lists on each of them.
As for the Pros in the movie industry, they have their own formulas and tools and tricks-of-the-trade also...it's up to you to develop your "kit" and to know what works and doesn't. I know, blood, sweat and tears;):(

Micro tip pencils were recommended by the Stan Winston crew, because I specifically requested a cosmetic drawing method, and I have tried one with passable results. The approved method is as suggested here with laying hair or using prosthetics with hair plugs. This requested method is using a cosmetic grade mechanical pencil in .7mm that does always stay near that thickness. However, my own experiments with a much more successful method for screen accurate realistic hair strokes is art pens with micro tips down to size .05mm. I have one at .05 and one at .1 and .3mm. All provide excellent results. None are tattoo art pens so are not approved for skin use so would not have been recommended by any professional. All are removable with an alcohol wipe. I have reviewed several tattoo art pens and would advise against the blick brand. They put a bunch of hype into their pens that has nothing to do with pens and a lot to do with wokeness. Not sure why they thought that would impress me about if their pen was a quality item. There are several other actual tattoo specialty brands that back their quality and specifics. Don't ever trust someone who is virtue signalling to avoid talking about quality. I am pretty happy with the items I currently have and will load pics with a review of each when done.

Yes, sometimes it's to use something not intended for its purpose and applying it for getting the right effect/look. My father said it all the time: "It's not necessarily the tool that counts, but the result in the end";)
Eager to see the different effects!

Brushes and felt markers fail but the pencil, the art pens and another brand of multi hair applicator are certainly passable:

20230328_121157.jpg
20230328_121321.jpg
20230328_121343.jpg

Total fail (above)

20230328_121815.jpg
20230328_121755.jpg
20230328_121841.jpg

Passable (above).

20230328_122314.jpg
20230328_122342.jpg

Passable for fill only (above)

20230328_122658.jpg
20230328_122649.jpg
20230328_122709.jpg

Passable pencil (above)

20230328_122840.jpg
20230328_122849.jpg
20230328_122904.jpg
20230328_123217.jpg
20230328_123241.jpg
20230328_123228.jpg

My choice is definitely these art pens. I am a complete noob to eyelash and brow makeup so if I can get these consistent hair thicknesses without blur, anyone can. All product above cleared with a makeup wipe but also cleaned up quickly with alcohol. I cannot vouch for safety as these last two are non cosmetic options and I have not yet tested tattoo art pens. I did use these for a cosmetic effects test yesterday but was caught unaware that my phone's software was causing heavy digital smudging and blurring. My photos are unusable for showing the eyebrow definition.

Yep, you gotta put the effort of getting a bunch of false eyelashes, cut them to uneven length and glue them (using the same glue you would for beards) with the help of tweezers and a lot of patience. The wife should help (y) (y) Another trick is to use a false moustache and applying some of it to the eyebrows...more difficult since it's on a wider fabric strip and you don't have much control over it. Again, clipping/shaping the hair to achieve the proper look.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back