Last Of The Summer Wine

Philly

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I used to watch this show every week when I was younger, but I never truly appreciated how good it was until I started watching it again recently. There is also a lot of jokes I didn't understand was I was young :lol

Anyone else a fan?

To those of you over the pond, I recommend it if you have never seen it before :)

It's certainly a long running show. It's one that PBS has been showing off and on for decades over here along with Alo Alo, Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances and a few others. They've had others but it seems like those few are the ones they're willing to pay for every time. I recently saw that Frank Thorton from Are You Being Served was on the show for a while until he died. You never realize how big some of these actors were on UK television such as some of them being on 2 or more shows at any time. I found that a lot of the BBC shows are good at having some jokes that go over the heads of younger folks until they age a bit.

I used to watch when I was much younger - LOVED IT. I've been meaning to get the DVD box set but I just never get around to it... Bad Me! :)

Well, it's been around longer than I have so I can remember watching it as far back as I can remember. I think you have to have at least a passing familiarity/affection for the quieter, more gentle and Northern sense of humour to 'get' it. Ultimately it's one of those things that passed into the British psyche and cultural tapestry. Even though it's been off the air a few years here (not counting repeats on UKTV gold and such) you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn't know the name 'Nora Batty' and the significance of the wrinkled stockings. If nothing else, it gave us the voice of Wallace and a theme tune that still makes me nostalgic.

A brilliant show, and just how I see myself when I retire, hopefully having some friends to kick around with like the old guys.

I used to watch it back in the early 2000s on PBS along with Keeping Up Appearances. It was always good for a few laughs.

If nothing else, it gave us the voice of Wallace and a theme tune that still makes me nostalgic.
Good old Peter Sallis was the best part of the show. I just looked him up on wikipedia and found that he's still alive at 95. I thought he had died for some reason. Nice to know he's still around.

I used to watch it back in the early 2000s on PBS along with Keeping Up Appearances. It was always good for a few laughs.

Good old Peter Sallis was the best part of the show. I just looked him up on wikipedia and found that he's still alive at 95. I thought he had died for some reason. Nice to know he's still around.

I do believe a few of the cast are still around, it's crazy.

Good grief!...I remember watching it as a kid. I think even George from George and Mildred was in it.

All those shows back then like Faulty Towers, Man About House, Steptoe and Son, Porridge, Open All Hours, The Good Life, Dad's Army......just classic British comedy!

I think they recently made Dad's Army into a movie!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back