PropShop announces TFA Props!

It's not nods and winks though, is it?

Several of use have stated pretty much exactly what happened at Prop Shop and met the usual 'prove it' kind of response. What do you want, names, dates, phone numbers? :rolleyes

To avoid being left out of such a stimulating and riveting series of non-admissions, winks, and nods, I'll simply add this:

I may or may not know things, that I may or may not have been told, that would CHANGE YOUR LIFE if you heard them...

....of course, I can't say a THING about ANY of it. Hope that's useful to you.

:lol

It's not nods and winks though, is it?

Several of use have stated pretty much exactly what happened at Prop Shop and met the usual 'prove it' kind of response. What do you want, names, dates, phone numbers? :rolleyes

I think he's referencing the anovos discussion, specifically, regarding NDAs

Hmm, did not anticipate being taken completely literally. What's a less subtle form of ":lol"?

As far as winks, nods, intimations, or insinuations, I'd say that it absolutely is what we have here, in some part. I understand why that's the case and wouldn't ask anyone to come here and tell a bunch of random people such sensitive information. What I found funny was partly the predictable "prove it" response that you mentioned, and partly the parade of people who "know things" who have been appearing. It's funny that people wouldn't just be able to believe someone when they said they know, but the reasons for knowing can't be stated. Taking a step back, it IS a pretty funny half-conversation between all of us with this. That's really all :lol

Hmm, did not anticipate being taken completely literally. What's a less subtle form of ":lol"?

As far as winks, nods, intimations, or insinuations, I'd say that it absolutely is what we have here, in some part. I understand why that's the case and wouldn't ask anyone to come here and tell a bunch of random people such sensitive information. What I found funny was partly the predictable "prove it" response that you mentioned, and partly the parade of people who "know things" who have been appearing. It's funny that people wouldn't just be able to believe someone when they said they know, but the reasons for knowing can't be stated. Taking a step back, it IS a pretty funny half-conversation between all of us with this. That's really all :lol

Yea I took it as a joke. My discussion with Art, I explained the facts of the situation that was already known and labeled my "theories" as my ideas based on circumstantial evidence and what we know as the general public.

Of course some of my other statements originate from the mouth of an Anovos employee, which aren't directly related to this particular context anyways, but I'm not going to throw someone under the bus for the sake of "winning" a meaningless debate

I talked to Joe Spankme at AnovosShopProp and he said the Blade Runner 2 rumors are true and not really happening.

But you did not here it from me.:thumbsup

So is there any word what so ever on who is picking up the license, is Master Replicas returning, etc??? Right now there is no one making, licensed props. The only licensee is EFX and we know the deal there??????

Go to masterreplicas.com. It says "Coming soon - June 2016" but there is nothing else on the site.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

No, I have personal knowledge on this and Master Replicas is not coming back. The name was sold in the Bankruptcy and the person using it has nothing to do with prop replicas. This is not a rumor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wait a minute, you're gonna all of a sudden barge into this thread all huffy puffy because I had a civil debate with the owner of this very site and then demand to take it to PM when you couldn't do that in the first place yourself after the discussion ended?

You deny taking things personally while emphatically using sarcasm and condescension in your posts. Why is that? Why would you, someone who decides to come out of the blue, all of a sudden be so offended for a company that at least to me, you have zero part of.

You apparently like to advertise for them, because I'm clearly so "wrong" about things /s
https://www.facebook.com/JinyoDesig...156388335389/1023651421052544/?type=3&theater

Get off your high horse

To address your points individually, you can't "barge into this thread" when it's an open forum. This is a public discussion, not a private conversation. If you want to have a private conversation that no one can "barge into," that's what PM is for. If you do it in an open thread, don't get your diapers in a bunch because someone comments.
And it doesn't matter if you were talking to the owner of this site. Big freaking deal. You know, I've actually seen Art Andrews in person. It was at a prop party several years ago, and someone pointed him out to me. He was less than 30 feet away from me, and we almost made eye contact. I didn't speak to him, but I could have.

I am condescending toward you because, well, look at your "conversation."

-You: Anovos armor was sculpted by Kevin Weir.
-Art: Incorrect.
-You: Yeah but here is my extensive reasoning.
-Art: Your reasoning is fine, but your facts are still incorrect.
-You: Yeah, but my logic is sound. And Anovos is a "pyramid sceme" and customers are pissed off and products are late!
-Art: Your logic is fine. But you're factually wrong.
-You: People are pissed! Anovos is not being honest! PR nightmare! Disney could pull the license!

You're obviously a smart guy, but you go from tangentially-on-topic to veering wildly off-topic basically the moment Art tells you you're facts are incorrect. You call it a conversation, but you are barely even talking about the same thing. A normal conversation would be:
-"Kevin sculpted this."
-"No he didn't."
-"Oh, thanks for the info" or "how do you know this?"
Instead, you take a left turn into a couple of paragraphs of "Here's everything that's wrong with Anovos." So yeah, you earned a snide remark.

And your reaction to that was clearly, "This guy made a snide remark to me! He must be an Anovos shill!"
No dude, you got a snide remark because your behavior was slightly ridiculous.

"I'll prove that he's an Anovos shill by cyberstalking him!"
No dude, that just makes you look like a weird internet creep.
But now that you've found my Facebook Page, please Like and Follow and Subscribe!

"He posted once, six months ago, that he likes an Anovos product! So that proves he's an Anovos sockpuppet!"
No dude, I posted that because Donmoor shirts were awesome when we were kids, and they're awesome now.

BTW, I'm staying on my high horse. The view is better from up here, and it helps me keep some people's nerdrage tears off my RPF T-shirt.

Like I said it was only a rumor, but no I cannot say who I heard if from, because I believe him/her, and again I am just spreading "rumors" so I do not want to bring that person into this topic. But I found the "rumor" to be reliable for what ever that is worth to this topic. If someone knows something different, then I am sure they will correct the "rumor."

I did find it odd to see Prop Shop in the TFA 3D Blu Ray extra videos with the former President speaking on camera about their involvement and the 3D printing process.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know if you had read something online that I missed, or what. Obviously, we don't want you to compromise a source.
Hope you didn't take it as a "pics or you're lying!" challenge. I was just eager to know if there was an article or interview or something out there with more info.

The Blade Runner stuff is well known by industry folk, but industry folk don't talk about it on the RPF. BR2 is in production now and everyone is NDA'd up to their necks by Alcon.

If you happen to know those folk, that relationship doesn't last very long if you go on a public forum and say 'X person works for Y studio and personally told me this'.

There are a lot of people who would like to know what happened at Prop Shop, but most of those who know more of the details aren't going to talk about it openly right now because that could adversely affect their careers. Which is why 'rumours' are likely to stay that way at least until after the dust settles.

Not surprising. I'm sure the story will trickle out eventually.

Not quite sure what the point of all that was... :wacko

Moving along......... what's everyone think the chances are that we'll see another company step into the "super-high-end" licensee position, now that Prop Shop is no more?

Not quite sure what the point of all that was... :wacko

Moving along......... what's everyone think the chances are that we'll see another company step into the "super-high-end" licensee position, now that Prop Shop is no more?

I'd say Disney directly, but then I think Prop Shop's prices will look like child's play if that happens

That would be interesting... Partly I'm wondering who owns the scan files and 3D-print files Prop Shop had made/were using, I'd assume they were retained by Disney when Prop Shop went away, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That would be interesting... Partly I'm wondering who owns the scan files and 3D-print files Prop Shop had made/were using, I'd assume they were retained by Disney when Prop Shop went away, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The guy who came out on here shortly after prop shop was announced that sculpted the Kylo Ren helmet stated that both Anovos and Prop Shop had the same files for printing the helmet, but specified that some changes/modifications were made to the KR helmet for filming, so they're not 100% identical to the screen used helmets.

It could be surmised that based off that information it wouldn't be unlikely this applied to the other items, like the TFA TK helmet or Ray's staff, which was re-sized scan of the original staff prop initially.

I'd say Disney directly, but then I think Prop Shop's prices will look like child's play if that happens

I have to politely disagree. I think one of the many reasons Propshop went bust was the insane prices they were charging. I don't think you will see the next prop company charge that ridiculous price and if so they can bite me. For nearly every licensed prop there are makers here offering the same for reasonable prices and often better made.

I mean in addition to the crazy stupid base charge you were also charged the price of a nice prop for the cheap wooden box in shipping. I think the next company will do things differently,....I hope.

BTW I am not criticizing anyone who spent their money on these. I have and will spend crazy money on props but from a business standpoint it was very stupid . Obviously as they lasted a few months.

No, I have personal knowledge on this and Master Replicas is not coming back. The name was sold in the Bankruptcy and the person using it has nothing to do with prop replicas. This is not a rumor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Are you referring to the original Master Replicas or whatever this one from June 2016 was? It's pretty bad when a company says to come back for an announcement in a few months but there still is no announcement 5 months later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have to politely disagree. I think one of the many reasons Propshop went bust was the insane prices they were charging. I don't think you will see the next prop company charge that ridiculous price and if so they can bite me. For nearly every licensed prop there are makers here offering the same for reasonable prices and often better made.

I mean in addition to the crazy stupid base charge you were also charged the price of a nice prop for the cheap wooden box in shipping. I think the next company will do things differently,....I hope.

BTW I am not criticizing anyone who spent their money on these. I have and will spend crazy money on props but from a business standpoint it was very stupid . Obviously as they lasted a few months.

It could be a number of reasons, but prices were definitely a huge negative for sure. It certainly didn't help that there were quite a few quality control issues as reported. For the extremely low quantity of the "numbered" runs and the very high price point, the QC issues that came out were rather..troubling. The last story of the bowcaster being delivered broken is just unacceptable IMO.

The reason I believe the prices would be higher is just because this is Disney's MO. Everything they sell direct is marked up significantly. The deal with prop shop is uncertain but definitely part of the Disney contract for the license.

I do know there's separate licenses for particular thing, like anovos for "high end costumes," but for awhile (earlier on I was told) they couldn't do boots because that was a separate license, Gentle Giants has statues/busts which explains why the Death Trooper Helmet being given with those NIssan's are non-wearable. It goes on, but you get the point.

I'm not particularly sure what license the one prop shop fell under. It could have been more like what MR/EFX has but the significant difference was the use of original assets from the film production. Not that MR didn't have similar accesses for some items (like the Boba fett, though used the wrong helmet for it) and the Clone helmets, which are allegedly modified models used from ATOTC or derived from.

This however, is that it was a major part of the whole advertisement, albeit partially false, that these "are made by the same prop builders for film." (Turned out to be false) and Adam Savage came out with a 2nd video once it was revealed to be such (in regards to the Kylo Ren helmet at least). I don't think Disney really wants to let public products that originate from original assets, i.e., their 3D printing models for film production, to go for anything less than what they feel their worth. The other thing to consider is that this company's short life wasn't aimed for the "general fan" or even a perceived high end collector to a social norm. These were geared towards people with A LOT of money to spend and perhaps businesses who wanted to have a uniquely rare item either to re-sell or just have on display in their shop. I can't imagine a successor to Prop Shop being any cheaper though, but that's just my opinion.

To me, I don't think Disney really has that kind of mindset. They're focused on maximizing profits. They certainly felt that Prop Shop producing replicas using relatively inexpensive materials to deliver were adequate for charging a crap load of money. Might not be a popular opinion, but it doesn't sound so good when the guy who actually sculpted the KR helmet says that both Anovos and Prop Shop are selling an identical helmet (from the same exact print files) but Anovos charges under a $1000 and then here's Prop Shop asking $2000....sure, you got a handy display stand and a numbered metal coin, all wrapped up in a cheap wood "crate," but I don't think all the extras amount to an extra $1000 of product.

Truthfully, out of the entire line that Prop Shop had, had I been able to afford just one item? It would have been the Melted Vader. Why? Because I don't feel anything but the original print files can do it justice strictly based on the complex physical structure. Would I drop $3000 on it if I could? Maybe, maybe not. I'd rather buy a Tuba for myself, but we've all got our preferences.

So who will be next up? We can add a tombstone to the cemetery for Prop Shop, along with all the others..

...So who will be next up? We can add a tombstone to the cemetery for Prop Shop, along with all the others..

That^^^... Tanking the BR2 props in your second race would have ended anybody. The replica market had squat to do with it. Now we just get to see what history does with the collectability of the result... like Icons.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back