New Top Gear

Jaitea

Master Member
New Top Gear without Jeremy, May & Hammond.....was very flat

I wanted to like it.....but it was a poor impression of the real thing

Chris Evans shouting through the whole show gets on your nerves & Matt Le Blanc looks like he needs a sleep

J

I whole heartedly agree. Ive never heard a more contrived, scripted, monotone show. I absolutely love Chris Evans.... on Radio and TFI Friday... but this wasnt him. I used to look at the clock during topgear thinking... " oh no... only another 20 minutes left" .. but tonight I thought......" ohhhh god... another 20 minutes to go".

Such a shame.......

Anyway...... we have Clarksons new show to look forward to....... hopefully.....

I whole heartedly agree. Ive never heard a more contrived, scripted, monotone show. I absolutely love Chris Evans.... on Radio and TFI Friday... but this wasnt him. I used to look at the clock during topgear thinking... " oh no... only another 20 minutes left" .. but tonight I thought......" ohhhh god... another 20 minutes to go".

Such a shame.......

Anyway...... we have Clarksons new show to look forward to....... hopefully.....

Same as me,....I thought Chris would be perfect,...& Matt was a cool choice......but it really is just the normal Top Gear but with extra bits added on.....This would have been the right time to try something new

Maybe with feedback they'll tweak it,...but I really don't think I'll be watching next week

J

This thing's been getting hammered even before the first episode hit, it never stood a chance in hell of succeeding and Chris Evans seems very unpopular with the public over in the UK.

I haven't watched the show but I thought I saw somewhere that Evans merely collects white Ferraris for pure aesthetics. He keeps them hermetically sealed indoors but never drives them and, in fact, doesn't even like to drive. If that's true he's not ideal for a show like this.

The show is bound to fail only because Top Gear has always been about Clarkson, Hammond and May more than it was about the cars. If they want a new show they should have changed the name.

Last edited:
Evans said that the new show the original guys have with Amazon isn't going to do well but considering his show is about to be canceled anything will be doing better than him. As bad as the US version of Top Gear was at least they were moderately entertaining and one of them seemed to know how to use a wrench if needed.

I haven't watched the show but I thought I saw somewhere that Evans merely collects white Ferraris for pure aesthetics. He keeps them hermetically sealed indoors but never drives them and, in fact, doesn't even like to drive. If that's true he's not ideal for a show like this.

The show is bound to fail only because Top Gear has always been about Clarkson, Hammond and May more than it was about the cars. If they want a new show they should have changed the name.
That is incorrect, every year he takes his rare car collection out and allows members of the public to drive them for charity , so they are no garage queens , the most expensive Ferrari he purchased I would allow him to treat like this,

i agree with the feedback , Matt le blanc was actually better than Chris in the studio segments , I'm sure they will tune it, the scripting of challenges was way too obvious , even the old team you could see this, but as a group the three guys fun relationship together added to any situation with plenty of opportunity for slagging.

Also were getting used to them too, I would scrap the two guests , trying a graham Norton there I think, and add in the proper car guys like Chris Harris in this show , not the after show .

Matt almost killed a camera guy during taping. So I think his nerves are shot and is done mentally. The show will never be what it once was

After watching the new show which obviously has directional problems.....which I hope they will sort out,.....because, me being greedy,...I want both shows to be brilliant.,,,,I watched some of the final series of the real TG,.....& I could hardly see the TV because I was laughing tears of humour so much

I cant wait for the Amazon show

J

After watching the new show which obviously has directional problems.....which I hope they will sort out,.....because, me being greedy,...I want both shows to be brilliant.,,,,I watched some of the final series of the real TG,.....& I could hardly see the TV because I was laughing tears of humour so much

I cant wait for the Amazon show

J

The ambulance episode was some of the funniest stuff I can remember seeing on the tube.

After seeing the last episode broadcast again (the one with no audience) I can see where Clarkson would say 'F this, I want out!. That cross country in tuxedos was pretty cruel. I know, it's just TV but, it was a bit harsh.

Absolutely awful. I'll admit I'm biased because the original TG with Clarkson, Hammond and May is one of my favorite TV shows of all time, but I tried to give this new version a chance. Chris Evans made me want to throw a brick through the screen. Everything in the episode was a pale imitation of the greatness that came before it and I don't know if I'll even bother trying to watch the second episode next week. Bring on The Grand Tour this fall.

The ambulance episode was some of the funniest stuff I can remember seeing on the tube.

I went back and re-watched that episode tonight. Good Lord, it's even funnier than I remember. That rivals any comedic movie or TV show I've ever seen. :thumbsup

Jezza, Hammond and especially May all seem like the kind of guys I could hang at the pub with and have a bunch of laughs.
I can't say that at all about Chris Evans. I can't relate to him at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finally saw the new Top Gear last night and I have to say I really do not like Chris Evans, he is trying to hard to be like Jeremy and failing. I did like Matt but like others have stated, Top Gear is not Top Gear without Clarkson, Hammond and May.

After seeing the last episode broadcast again (the one with no audience) I can see where Clarkson would say 'F this, I want out!. That cross country in tuxedos was pretty cruel. I know, it's just TV but, it was a bit harsh.

Toward the end, did you catch where he actually said "I hate working for Top Gear"? I think that is the challenge where he punched the crew member -- he was obviously on his last nerve at the end of it, cold, tired, wet, driving in the dark with half a car, and then no food ready when he got back to the hotel...

--Jonah

Toward the end, did you catch where he actually said "I hate working for Top Gear"? I think that is the challenge where he punched the crew member -- he was obviously on his last nerve at the end of it, cold, tired, wet, driving in the dark with half a car, and then no food ready when he got back to the hotel...

--Jonah

I did catch that. It could be the challenge, or the one that made him report himself for punching a crew member. :lol

I thought he might have over dubbed that after he was fired.

He was allowed to come back for some VO work providing he wasn't paid, so that the last few episodes could be shown.

I also think that they crammed too many things into the first episode, which together with Evans' performance made it feel even more stressed.
Matt LeBlanc's performance felt to me like he was there as a guest, not there as a host.
Two guests at the same time... They could have worked a bit on how they pair them up if they are supposed to go head-to-head.
I noticed that the new set is echo-y, which makes Evans sound even more shouty...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back