The geek collectible market

You know, I was looking to see if this was 1:1 scale, but clearly not, but thought it should have been a massive piece for the price. Nope, it's only about 20" tall or so. And they're "promoting" the "exclusive" nunchuck and Shredder mask like it's a freaking GIFT to you that it's included after you're already dropping $3000 before taxes

You know, I was looking to see if this was 1:1 scale, but clearly not, but thought it should have been a massive piece for the price. Nope, it's only about 20" tall or so. And they're "promoting" the "exclusive" nunchuck and Shredder mask like it's a freaking GIFT to you that it's included after you're already dropping $3000 before taxes

The skeptic in me has to wonder if it really cost even half that much to produce the prototype. and how much they are making on sales..
sigh.

They could at least stell them separately for, s ay, $400. still expensive, but i might be able to afford two.

The skeptic in me has to wonder if it really cost even half that much to produce the prototype. and how much they are making on sales..
sigh.

They could at least stell them separately for, s ay, $400. still expensive, but i might be able to afford two.

For the prototype? Sure it can cost that much. For a finished production piece? It would have to be under $400 at-cost for sideshow to make them, especially if they're mass-producing them. It doesn't state if it's a limited-run kind of thing though. Now it's saying's it's "set of 4" which implies 4 statues (of each character). Even at $400 a pop per character would put the whole thing at $1200 sans the base. Most of their other polystone statues appear to be no less than $250 with an optimus prime and a few batman ones being at $2000. Those, however, appear significantly more intricate and detailed, along with more "accessories" than the TMNT statue here, which is clearly more than anything else under the same category

While those are gorgeous, as a working man, and growing up with a single mom etc, I couldnt bring myself to pay THAT much money for something like that. I know its awesome, but thats extortion. It kind of pisses me off that they are charging that much money for something that literally sits there and looks cool, thats it. :angry

Neil, if you are looking for TMNT in the 1/4 scale range that are way more affordable (but still not cheap) you might be interested in NECA's 1/4 scale Donatello that comes out in the next month or so: http://news.toyark.com/2016/02/13/toy-fair-2016-neca-14-figures-replicas-tmnt-192762
It should run about $100 based on what their other figures that size cost.

I forgot about those.... not as cool looking asthe statues, but you are right... they are far more affordable.

I thought one of those sets wasn't coming out though? I seem to remember a 1990 jim henson line getting cancelled for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

While those are gorgeous, as a working man, and growing up with a single mom etc, I couldnt bring myself to pay THAT much money for something like that. I know its awesome, but thats extortion. It kind of pisses me off that they are charging that much money for something that literally sits there and looks cool, thats it. :angry

exactly the reason for the gripe. I bet half of that price is the fact that they know some desperate fan will pay for it.
I was only able to swing $2,000 for a darth vader, because, well, lets face it. it's a wearable darth vader. allthis does is sit there and look cool ;)

I forgot about those.... not as cool looking asthe statues, but you are right... they are far more affordable.

I thought one of those sets wasn't coming out though? I seem to remember a 1990 jim henson line getting cancelled for some reason.

That just debuted at ToyFair in February. NECA did have a line of 6 inch Mirage turtles that got cancelled due to "low sales" but mostly to due to Playmates Toys, who holds the master license, interfering. I can't think of any movie figures or statues that cancelled though.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back