Round 2 1/48 Space 1999 Eagle build

Really enjoying your build especially since I am seriously considering adding this kit to my collection. How did you apply the panel lines? Your paint and weathering are excellent.

For the panel lines, I just used a cheap mechanical pencil and a small, flexible straight edge. The paint overall is a gradient of light aircraft gray and white, and black and brown washes.

And definitely get this kit! It's a monster and it's complex, but it's also very forgiving and well thought out.

Fantastic work. I've stolen all your pics for reference. :) Would love to see / hear more about your work on this.
Thanks.

Haha, thanks! My reference is the David Sisson site, so the credit goes to him. I'll post all the pictures I can, especially when it's finished. I'm not a "stop and take a picture" guy, but I'll do my best.

Anyway, I had the pod off to do some touchups, and decided to give it more interest (inspired once again by David Sisson's photos). For this, I just cut an odd shape into a piece of card stock and spray painted over it with different colors in different positions. Many Eagle builders do this over the whole ship in more subtle colors.
27007880142_b044230f65_c.jpg

Other than that, and some touchups here and there, the only other thing I've done is strip the command module and repaint it. I just couldn't live with all the extra panel lines I gave it. It didn't look Eagle-ish enough. Here's where it is now. Same paint, but the panel lines stick closer to the actual Eagle prop. Just needs decals reapplied and black and brown washes. With a little luck, it'll look every bit as nice as it did before, just more accurate.
27033882921_4cdd0d691d_c.jpg

Speaking of realism, the Moon's surface is extremely 'dirty'; read about how Nasa learned the hard way just how pervasively 'sticky' moon dust could be... like microscopic versions of a sand-burr. So a heavy coating of gray dust is definitely appropriate. Yeah, 'rust' probably not so much. But it looks cool, Mom! ;^P

Ah, so you're just looking at the pictures and not reading the description. It's ok, I do that too. Word to your mother.

Last edited:
Read it all, my friend! ;^) I was alluding to the comment about it possibly being too dirty. Of course, you're replicating the look of the original model, but *if* someone was going for a "realistic" appearance, being covered in moon dust would be primary part of the weathering.

Personally, I think your weathering is spot on either way...

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Read it all, my friend! ;^) I was alluding to the comment about it possibly being too dirty. Of course, you're replicating the look of the original model, but *if* someone was going for a "realistic" appearance, being covered in moon dust would be primary part of the weathering.

Personally, I think your weathering is spot on either way...

i appreciate that, Robert! Sorry I read your post the wrong way; the "things don't rust in space" thing comes up often, lol.

VERY nice
Subtle shades.....very authentic looking
J
That is a very fine Eagle!
I liked the first one but now I think the second try is a good improvment nice job.

haha, you guys rock!

Finally had a little time to grab some "finished" shots. I suck and only have my kitchen counter to take photos, but, it'll do.

27165451396_9478223dd4_c.jpg

27165451326_7365eeae25_c.jpg

27165451256_1133d58855_c.jpg

27103086012_4595614e1c_c.jpg

27165450696_284fb75443_c.jpg

27103085722_799329a813_c.jpg

27165450466_6d8be13738_c.jpg

27103085462_6036a29f94_c.jpg

27165450336_1ea819f873_c.jpg

27165451116_2dc88a65a0_c.jpg

27165451066_028fc28a1d_c.jpg

27103084932_1d04fddc53_c.jpg

27165451516_86155e3fbf_c.jpg

For the last shot, I wasn't trying to make a cool background, just blurring out my house. You can see that the model sits a little lower in the back. I like it because the studio model did that too. For a more idealized stance, some builders put weights in the command module to correct it, especially if they're using the heavier add-on aluminum bells.

Fun build! Think I'll take a long break before building another, though.

Again, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
**********! what Super build, makes me want to also build one. It was my favorite ship as a kid. Remember having the Arifix Model and the DinkyToys ones..there where a couple of variants :)
Bildschirmfoto 2016-05-24 um 07.57.57.png

Congrats on a Stunning Build!

Give me the bird!
Nice work.
Cool model and an awesome build.

Thanks!

**********! what Super build, makes me want to also build one. It was my favorite ship as a kid. Remember having the Arifix Model and theDinkyToys ones..there where a couple of variants :)
View attachment 628108

Congrats on a Stunning Build!

You should check out the Space 1999 Props & Ships Facebook group. Tons of different builds, including a few Dinkys. :thumbsup

Holy Frak!!! Not only did you do an Eagle, you made it a #1 44" replica with the simulated wood on the pod. VERY nice!

Thanks! I'm one of your YouTube subscribers, by the way. It was your test shot videos that got me jazzed about getting this kit in the first place. You're also on Props & Ships FB group, right?

Sweet. You got yours finished before I did as I have most of my assemblies primered right now awaiting base coat painting. I'm just trying to get the cockpit nose all buttoned up before I primer that and do a full court press to get the thing fully painted by Wonderfest in about 11 days. I can do it though. Part of my delay is trying to make mine unique, but I've finally settled on doing it up as the rescue Eagle from "Collision Course" with the base Eagle coloring as it appeared starting in "The Long Sunset" and the pod stripes being a little different from the other appearances.

Yes I am on Props and Ships and I saw this beauty there. I would say of all the Eagles out there, yours is one of the best looking and the most unique I have ever seen. It is certainly not an approach most modelers would have taken, but you got the look down COLD, right down to the subtle cracks in the paint around the nose. Most of us try to avoid that, certainly not INTENTIONALLY put it in. It is model to be most proud of.

Sweet. You got yours finished before I did as I have most of my assemblies primered right now awaiting base coat painting. I'm just trying to get the cockpit nose all buttoned up before I primer that and do a full court press to get the thing fully painted by Wonderfest in about 11 days. I can do it though. Part of my delay is trying to make mine unique, but I've finally settled on doing it up as the rescue Eagle from "Collision Course" with the base Eagle coloring as it appeared starting in "The Long Sunset" and the pod stripes being a little different from the other appearances.

PLEASE post photos of your finished Eagle, especially to the Facebook group!

Yes I am on Props and Ships and I saw this beauty there. I would say of all the Eagles out there, yours is one of the best looking and the most unique I have ever seen. It is certainly not an approach most modelers would have taken, but you got the look down COLD, right down to the subtle cracks in the paint around the nose. Most of us try to avoid that, certainly not INTENTIONALLY put it in. It is model to be most proud of.

Wow, Jay, thanks! That's great of you to say! With so many Space 1999 purists out there, I wasn't sure how my Eagle would eventually be received. So far it's been really positive. I'm glad everyone "gets it" and I think that says something about S1999 fans in general.

Good luck at WonderFest! Can't wait to see the final product!

I used to love "Space: 1999" as a kid. I tried watching the pilot for the first time since then last year and couldn't make through the episode LOL. If only it was a good as your model. I like that you did it for yourself and that you were going for the "feel" rather than shooting for that impossible sliding scale that is accuracy. Great job!

Great studio quality job. Now just don't let Carter fly it!

:lol

I used to love "Space: 1999" as a kid. I tried watching the pilot for the first time since then last year and couldn't make through the episode LOL. If only it was a good as your model. I like that you did it for yourself and that you were going for the "feel" rather than shooting for that impossible sliding scale that is accuracy. Great job!

Thanks! I'm glad so many people get that it's about "the feel." I saw the Lucasfilm archive tour in the '90s, and I'll never forget those sad, dirty models sitting there looking beat up, with bits falling off of them, lol. They weren't pretty, but they had stories to tell. I've been chasing that feeling ever since, with every model I do.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks! Considering how many pros there are on this forum, I appreciate your compliments!

Check out the Space 1999 Props & Ships Facebook group. It seems to be the favorite. TONS of rescue Eagles being painted up. The red stripes definitely help break up all the grays and whites.

Not much progress lately on my build. It seems like once I got in the home stretch, life suddenly became very busy.

I did mange to get a coat of paint on the landing gear though. Since I'm mimicking the studio model, the lower parts of the skids just need to look like filthy plastic, while the upper part should appear metal. The surface rust was done with cheap chalk pastels. First time trying something like this, and even though it's not great, it was really easy! The hardest part was getting my kid to let me raid her art supplies.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7563/26263298714_5615cd5c2f_c.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!

Thanks for the props! lol I love these eagles more and more every day!

Cheers, Todd

IMG_0733.JPGfullsizeoutput_760.jpegfullsizeoutput_2bc.jpegfullsizeoutput_72b.jpeg

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back