Luke droid caller dome - AMAZING, clear pic.

Dagobah Don

Sr Member
LukeBiggs1-MOSW.jpg
Thought I'd share this really clear pic of the dome. It definitely doesn't seem opaque, certainly seems a bit bigger than the head of the flash, and doesn't appear to have a hole in the center.

Attachments

• LukeBiggs1-MOSW.png
    LukeBiggs1-MOSW.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 338
Last edited:
The image made me wonder if it could be something like this
Aspheric Condenser Lens (92 mm diameter) and Spherical cold reflector (68mm diameter
http://homemadeprojector.blogspot.com
aspheric-lenses.jpg

aspheric-lenses.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great image, think a lens wouldn't sit over the edge in the same way, but a reflector?

This pic virtually proves (imo) that the dome sits askew so that one side overhangs a bit. perhaps they epoxied the thing on one side, as the dome is larger than the top of the Kobold. If anyone can enhance/enlarge these two big pics, it would be helpful.

View attachment 613239

Last edited:
I'm with Kenobi^ it looks like a chromed button, or cap cover. Just the sort of thing that would be in the parts pile they drew from for the props. Look closely, to my eye there's clearly reflection, rather than refraction, going on there.

Two questions I have are 1. Is the D-ring mounted through the bulb release cover? And 2. Does Luke's version have a mounting clamp ie. The section was used for his Kobold D-ring for his ESB lightsaber? I'm not seeing the clamp in these screencaps.

To answer your first question. This was pointed out by Lonepigeon a few years ago.
lukedroidcaller2.jpg

Will need to look into your second question now!!!

Two questions I have are 1. Is the D-ring mounted through the bulb release cover? And 2. Does Luke's version have a mounting clamp ie. The section was used for his Kobold D-ring for his ESB lightsaber? I'm not seeing the clamp in these screencaps.

I had the same two questions. Sure, they did the D ring through the bulb cover for the Jawa, but was it the same on Luke's? I believe so, just wondering.
And yeah, I think the mounting clamp/shoe is not there at all... but I was wondering if someone knew .

The publicity photos of ANH look like the Kobold has a black painted bottom, but not in the movie, so maybe there were several diff versions.

If you have to deliver a certain prop within a restricted time period ... propmakers usually used to grab whatever was at hand ... in the case of the dome part ... might I suggest you guys do some research and development with these regular kitchen items in mind, dremeled to size and readily available in different sorts of metal, chromed, non-chromed, chrome painted plastic etcetera :

Chaim

Yes, I agree. I think it's a spoon. People have said it's the teaspoon, but that is too narrow/small a fit. I believe it is the TABLESPOON, which would explain the overhang in the pics. Here's the other thing -- I think they mounted the dome by supergluing or carpet-taping it onto the bulb holder insert that fits in the top of the flash. It is really misaligned in this pic. That would explain why, in the Hamill Polaroid from the set, the dome is off, and the bulb holder is visible. It fell off.

I would love to know if anyone knows if the (ESB saber) shoe mount is removed. star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-2912.jpg

Luke's (the rarest type) has smooth edge around the base and stepped transition while Han's has coin edge knurling around the base and smooth transition. Han's also has a knurled disc added to the base.

These are both ANH. Han's was different in later movies. The info is at partsofsw.com

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back