Anyone know what became of the promotional SNES Star Fox Arwing model?

Millenniumf

Sr Member
This is kind of a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of what happened to the model of the Arwing from the Super Nintendo game Star Fox? On the game cartridge and box, as well as in the manual, there is a model of the Arwing that was used for photography, and it appears to be a physical model, not a computer model. I don't think that computer models of the day (1993) were advanced enough to allow such a complex and realistic shape with realistic textures, though I could be wrong. In any case, I am wanting to build a model of this version of the Arwing, and I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask about references, but I thought that the studio scale forum would be the best place to look for them. Here's a couple of images I located on Google:
Starwing_%2528SNES%2529_03.jpg
tumblr_m59fd99jkI1qd4q8ao1_1280.jpg
As you can see, it appears to be a physical model, not a computer model.

Hmmmmm. This is a good point, and no one seems to know. I don't either unfortunately. But yeah, definitely a built model...I just wonder how big it was and what happened to it.
You can clearly see that they only made one. I wonder if there is someone from Nintendo that you could contact that might know.
I also wonder what they did what they costumes for the 4 characters.
They really use to go all out on advertising a game back in the day not knowing if t would even sell.

First 4 Figures is releasing an Arwing statue as seen on the Nintendo 64. Not exacly like this one, but it may be a good basis to scratch some parts. Unfortunately it's $300, but looks to be pretty good size.

It probably ended up in the trash, nintendo was very strict about promo stuff getting destroyed even down to freebies that game stores had. If it wasn't given away it was to be scrapped. I have a Star Fox Assault display missing pieces and the cardboard Arwing on top is going for 50.00 alone. Been trying to find a model to replace it but no files are available.

Given how the Silpheed, Galaga, R-Type, VicViper from Gradius and Solvalou from Xevious were all done as styrene kits, I find it very surprising nothing was done with Starfox. I believe a resin kit was done not long after the game came out, but I have never seen one in the flesh.

...I have a Star Fox Assault display missing pieces and the cardboard Arwing on top is going for 50.00 alone. Been trying to find a model to replace it but no files are available.

What, and you are not pulling the trigger when you find one for that price, to complete your display? Fast forward ten years, that stuff will probably really impossible to find. Promotional stuff in general is much harder to find than anything mass produced, and displays usually are the holy grails in many collector circles. I have a full promotional NES system with a multi-cartridge station waiting for me at a friends place, I am pretty sure that is one of just a really few world wide still in existence.

But I digress. I really love that ship, maybe I should dig out Starfox, although N64 looks like *?"=) on a modern tv :\

One clue to the size of the model is that there appear to be lit 5mm yellow LEDs sitting on the outside of the wing:
aGkWABw.png
When I build mine, they won't be just planted on the sides of the wings, but this is a good cue to the actual size of the model

The basic shape will be easy. In fact, I already have a library of (rather low-res) reference photos of it, including one that is taken straight down from the top. The devil will be in the details and trying to figure out what they are.

If you have any better photos, the Studio Scale gurus may be able to help you ID some of the found parts.

What I've circle in red here are parts suggestive of AFV suspensions, but that is a guess. The part(s) circled in green are suggestive of AFV smoke dischargers, but that is a guess as well, and they may simply be stock styrene or metal tubes.

Attachments

• arwing1.jpg
    arwing1.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 1,025
Unfortunately, that's the highest resolution photo in my library of the Arwing. It's too bad the model itself seems to be pretty much lost; it would be great to see it from more angles. I'm fortunate that the Starfox comic seems to have used it as a model for the drawings, as there are a lot of details that are similar or the same. Not all, but a lot. I'm continuing to search for higher-quality images. Hopefully I'll find something better than what I've got.

In that case, your other alternative would be to buy the old manuals off eBay or somewhere and scan them yourself. Or you could ask Wes R nicely if he would scan his for you, if he owns them.

I could do that for sure. I'm just not sure what issues of Nintendo Power and other gaming magazines will have big pics of the Arwing. I wonder if I could contact the AVGN or any of the other retro gamers with extensive collections and knowledge of Nintendo and ask them.

Have a search on thingiverse. Don't specifically look for starfox,as there is one really good 3d model,but the name is changed slightly!

Have a search on thingiverse. Don't specifically look for starfox,as there is one really good 3d model,but the name is changed slightly!
I think I know the one you're talking about, and while it's accurate, I'd rather not use a fanmade model as a source.

What, and you are not pulling the trigger when you find one for that price, to complete your display? Fast forward ten years, that stuff will probably really impossible to find. Promotional stuff in general is much harder to find than anything mass produced, and displays usually are the holy grails in many collector circles. I have a full promotional NES system with a multi-cartridge station waiting for me at a friends place, I am pretty sure that is one of just a really few world wide still in existence.

But I digress. I really love that ship, maybe I should dig out Starfox, although N64 looks like *?"=) on a modern tv :\

Trust me if I'd had the cash right then and there. It's the hardest part to find for this display. Oddly enough the 3d models from the N64 game don't seem rippable from the game like the others.

I loved that game. Wikipedia says that Shigeru Miyamoto is a big fan of puppet shows like Thunderbirds, and he built the puppets (and presumably the Arwing) for the box artwork himself. If that's true, it's possible he still has them.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back