Falcon v2 (MCU Civil War) Build

JJ Griffin

Sr Member
So, having done the Winter Soldier version of Falcon last year complete with mechanical wings, I'm ready for a complete redesign to bring it up to the look of Avengers Falcon in AoU/Ant-Man/Civil War.

Here's my Winter Soldier version:

And here's what I need to pull off by June!

Anthony-Mackie-On-Movie-Set-Captain-America-Civil-War-Costumes-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-1.jpg

To-Do List:

[X] Goggles
[ ] Facial Hair (lol)
[ ] Custom Uniform
[X] Boots
[X] Suit Greebles
[X] Wrist Gauntlets
[X] Machine Pistols
[X] Armor Pieces (Shoulderpads & Greaves)
[ ] Jetpack
[ ] Wings

PRIMER
Apart from his boots and his gloves, nothing on Winter Soldier Falcon's outfit was found, so instead of wasting time scouring the internet, I'm just going to go ahead and custom-fabricate pretty much everything this time around to save time (and likely money, if his $400 WS boots are any indication).

Goggles
Falcon's WS goggles were custom-fabricated by SPCS Unlimited, a California-based prop studio that created various props for the film. His v2 goggles are no doubt just as unique, given they didn't even have a pair on set when he filmed his scene in Age of Ultron! I went ahead and had them modeled by Michael Flanagan (aka the Irish Cowboy) and 3-D printed through Shapeways to ensure high fidelity. They are flexible sintered nylon, so they have some give to them.

GP2qkDb.pngbx1eNyL.jpg

One interesting tidbit is that the lenses in his goggles were added via CG in Ant-Man (possibly to prevent visibility issues), but they seem to have used physical lenses when filming CW in Atlanta this past summer.

Facial Hair
This is pretty easy, just a haircut and a couple weeks to grow out the goatee (unfortunate for my GF, as she hates facial hair). I want this ready for the premiere so I'll be locking up the razor starting in early April. :)

Custom Uniform
Currently getting this done by @SMPDesigns and couldn't be more excited!

Boots
boots.png
The base boot is probably a found item, but they're covered in so much armor and greebles that any pair of combat boots should do. I still have my WS boots collecting dust, so I will simply convert them.

Suit Greebles
11852809_10203284293307799_179449666_o.jpg
Had these 3-D modeled a few months ago, before Ant-Man/Civil War trailer. Those have allowed for a few better views of certain pieces, so they'll be ready to print after a quick round of revisions. The tops of each belt box come off so I can store cash, cards, con badges, pens, etc inside. The buckles are all non-functional.

Wrist Gauntlets

3-D printed:
10342809_10208474789168597_1614789967265947173_n.jpg

Machine Pistols
Looks like the same machine pistols that he had in WS, so I'll be reusing those. :)

Armor Pieces
Bit the bullet and had all the armor pieces modeled so I can 3D print them instead of making them from EVA foam. May as well do it right the first time around! Here's the shoulder:

12819428_10208692630783634_1856884170093030347_o.jpg12819286_10208692687065041_1441012629446143494_o.jpg

Jetpack
jetpack1.jpg
Modeled to ensure perfect symmetry. 3D printing on this is underway!

Wings
The motors have received a complete mechanical overhaul by Rancid Props that will allow for less strain on the gears, far more openings/closings, and much smoother (faster) operation. Here's a video:
I've already repainted the wings themselves black and red, and they are now double-sided. Since the wings no longer need to be transparent like in WS, I can use a lighter material than the original lexan I used, which should allow them to be much lighter. Hooray for less weight on my back!
Initially I thought the wing-frames were the same as in Winter Soldier, but they appear to be different based of the CW trailer, so those will need to be modeled and printed as well. All the same, I was never terribly happy with my old ones.

More to come soon! In the meantime, feedback is always appreciated! :) Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• goggles.png
    goggles.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 356
Last edited by a moderator:
I loved this version of Falcon!! Can't wait to see more!!:thumbsup

One quick question though, Isn't all of that 3d printing from Shapeways a bit expensive or are they less expensive than I've been led to believe?

SUBSCRIBED :D

I loved this version of Falcon!! Can't wait to see more!!:thumbsup

One quick question though, Isn't all of that 3d printing from Shapeways a bit expensive or are they less expensive than I've been led to believe?

SUBSCRIBED :D

Small pieces modeled properly-- i.e. with hollow interiors and discrete holes to allow for excess powder to be recovered-- aren't too bad. It's when you start trying to print large or thick things that you start racking up costs.

Fortunately, most of the suit greebles are an inch or two at best, so they will only cost a few dollars each. I could print them for practically nothing on my home printer, but having to clean them up AND maintain the high degree of detail is more trouble than it's worth for me with all my other projects going on and my short window to complete this build, so I'm willing to pay a bit more to have them done in high-definition via Shapeways. The belt pouches are probably going to be the priciest ($80 I'm guessing), but I'm okay with the expenditure.

The largest stuff (i.e. the shoulderpads) I will just print on my Taz 4. It's easy enough to sand a featureless shape like that smooth, and something that large would cost a few hundred via Shapeways otherwise! :)

~JJ

Small update... Marvel pulled a little switcheroo... I had determined back after Age of Ultron came out that Falcon's wings were identical to his WS design aside from certain panels now being red. But after studying the trailer for Civil War it seems they have since modified the design of the frames (the "bone structure" that runs along the top of the wings). They bear a passing resemblance to his old version but have definitely been redesigned.

old wings.png
wing1.png

I will need to mock-up and model these, then 3D print them to construct a new set of frames for my wings. This means I now have even MORE to do, ugh! Blessedly these seem "flatter" than the old ones were, which at least means my new ones should at least be lighter and take less time to print!

***UPDATE***

Shoulderpad models are complete!
12822768_10153862863932696_36878110_o.jpg

Went ahead and took a crack at printing one up. Unfortunately, it came out too big, so I've got it's little cousin cooking on the print bed right now.
12829068_10208676288975099_3536922566564283619_o.jpg

~JJ

***UPDATE***

I have managed to convince the impeccable @SMPDesigns to take over fabrication of the uniform, since Gordon's Get-Ups may no longer be able to make my hard deadline. TBH, I couldn't be happier with the change, as I'm a huge fan of their work and they were my original choice last year (but too busy to take commissions at the time!).

As a result of the limited timeframe remaining, this will be an even more expensive project, but as long as it's done in time it will be worth it. :)

Maximum levels of hype, as the jetpack and updated wing frames are almost ready for printing~!

GwG2gUs.jpg

Kudos to the team over at do3d for working with me so closely on this part of the project :D Just needs another round of revisions to really eke out that last little bit of accuracy!

~JJ

12440242_10208804988912517_3242022829255499959_o.jpg

Test prints of the hip boxes printed beautifully! I have begun printing of the SLS final versions that will be worn on the suit.

The mock-up for the shirt and vest will be arriving for test fitting and patterning on Wednesday. Super excited!

~JJ

10342809_10208474789168597_1614789967265947173_n.jpg

Bracer prototypes printed beautifully and fit nicely! :)

Also got the mock-up in. Here's a pic after we'd adjusted it to my figure (but before shortening the sleeves):

12914902_10208918249823969_1266497124_o.jpg12919571_10208918249543962_1648218975_o.jpg12899535_10208918249743967_681503142_o.jpg12894370_10208918249943972_455412681_o.jpg

Obviously the colors aren't the ones we're actually going to use, and the vest came out a little too short, but those are very simple fixes. It's now on it's way back to @SMPDesigns to begin construction along with some dummy prints of his vest greebles and belt clips and a to-scale pattern of his breastplate and rib details.

It's really starting to come together now-- and it's a good thing, too, because there's only about a month left to go!

Test fit for the prototype greaves. Despite my printer's best attempt to sabotage the main shin plate, I was able to salvage the print, so that all the individual parts were able to be printed in one piece (other than the calf armor, due to it's height). Please excuse the sloppy fitment and weird angles, as I sort of just threw everything together using velcro in order to take a few shots for feedback. }

11224086_10208979631318468_3487948991274162044_o.jpg

After a lot of hand-wringing and testing, I have decided I'm going to use sneakers (though obviously not red ones!) instead of boots for the build. Sneakers are much comfier and will allow the shin armor to fit around my calf and ankle much easier. Once all the boot details and ankle plates are on you won't even be able to tell whether the default shoe is a boot or a sneaker so I don't think anyone will notice.

All in all, I am pleased with how this one turned out so I feel confident in moving on with printing its' twin brother.

Last edited:
Hey man! Just found the post. I'll be starting the thread soon for my part. I'll definitely link this one through.

Here are the abs for the vest. The other fabrics are great, btw, and exactly what we discussed. I'll send you scans later tonight of the swatches I cut today.

Cheers!

image.jpeg

Hey man! Just found the post. I'll be starting the thread soon for my part. I'll definitely link this one through.

Here are the abs for the vest. The other fabrics are great, btw, and exactly what we discussed. I'll send you scans later tonight of the swatches I cut today.

Cheers!

View attachment 610649

Ohmigod, that is just.... Words cannot describe the beauty! They should have sent a poet, LOL!

Just when I thought I couldn't get any more excited over this build...!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back