Interest Bookie Blasters Bronze Cast Webley No 1 Mk 1 Flare Gun

Dave the Bookie

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I was lucky enough to obtain a pristine 1917 No 1 Mk 1 Webley Flare Gun last July. Right away I knew that I would cast this baby and make it available in bronze to my fellow collectors. The process took some time as I wanted this to be as perfect as possible before offering it up.

This is a new casting of my flare gun - low serial number of 3087 - all matching parts on the original flare gun. The castings were accomplished via the cire perdue or lost-wax casting process. Each raw bronze cast is then prepared, sand blasted, and professionally gun blued to achieve a result that is as close to the original as humanly possible.

Painstaking research went in to all of the details - walnut stock just like the original, located fillister head screws with escutcheons for attaching the stock that match the original flare gun. Seriously - 6 months ago I had no idea what an escutcheon was, now I have a masters degree in the different types of escutcheons available.
smile.png

The gun in cast in 3 parts - barrel, handle/trigger/d-bracket assembly, and barrel release - so that the gun has the functionality of opening with the spring loaded barrel release. I had hoped to have full functionality including a moving trigger, but casting it in 6-7 parts doubled my costs to the point where I would have to charge real Webley prices for the casts. May look to upgrade the handle/trigger part to have a removing handle plate in the future - that way this bronze piece could be added to resin versions as well.

I plan on offering this up as the Webley by itself, a fully completed ESB EE-3 version, and a ROTJ version with a cut off/truncated barrel (decreased bronze weight, so hopefully decreased overall cost). The ROTJ version would come with a paint grade wooden stock - no need to paint over a beautiful walnut stock.

Price for the full Webley alone is going to be $650 plus shipping. The quality of these is what I believe is the closest thing to an original at about half to one third of the price of an original. Not looking to make a lot off of this, just recoup my molding and initial project costs.

I have two that are currently in the after cast phase right now - picking those up on Sunday 2/28, so would be available for shipping within the next week. New casts take approximately a month to six weeks for the finished product, but I can get several going at the same time depending upon additional interest.

Without further adieu, here are pictures of the first production cast compared to my real Webley.

PM me or post here if you are interested.

Update 4/2/16: Here is a list of those that have expressed interest through today.

1. Stormy320 - Full EE-3 - Paid in Full/Shipped
2. Deedzy (TDH) - Full EE-3 - Paid in Full/Shipped
3. Jesster (TDH) - Full EE-3 - Paid in Full/Shipped
4. Rogermaximus (TDH) - Full EE-3 - Paid in Full/Shipped

5. Refugee (TDH) - Webley Only - Paid in Full/Shipped
6. Dandirk - Full EE-3 - Paid in Full/Shipped

7. Mandingalow (TDH) - Full EE-3 - Paid in Full/Shipped
8. StarWarrior - Full EE-3 - Paid in Full/Shipped

9. AndyMac84 - Webley Only - Paid in Full/Shipped
10. Tomm1999 - Webley Only - Deposit Paid
11. Dao2 - Full EE3 - Deposit Paid
12. Filer - Webley Only - Deposit Paid

I have two that are in the chasing/clean up phase now - should be ready to ship within the next week or so.

Wax molds are completed on the next 5 - those are about 4 weeks out at this point. Will get the next 5 rolling in about 2 weeks when my shop has the capacity.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• Webley Full 2.JPG
    Webley Full 2.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 596
  • Webley Full.JPG
    Webley Full.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1,157
  • Webley Grip Detail.JPG
    Webley Grip Detail.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 348
  • Webley Comparison 2.JPG
    Webley Comparison 2.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 433
  • Webley Comparison.JPG
    Webley Comparison.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 444
  • Webley Detail.JPG
    Webley Detail.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 341
  • Webley Stock 2.JPG
    Webley Stock 2.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 349
  • Webley Stock.JPG
    Webley Stock.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 481
Last edited:
A few pictures of the casting and preparation process. The raw bronze parts straight out of the molds are the new casts that I will have available very soon.

Attachments

• Webley Raw 1.JPG
    Webley Raw 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 552
  • Webley Raw 2.JPG
    Webley Raw 2.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 434
  • Webley Barrel 2.JPG
    Webley Barrel 2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 394
  • Webley Barrel Raw.JPG
    Webley Barrel Raw.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 381
  • Webley Raw Parts.JPG
    Webley Raw Parts.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 305
And here is a picture of the first two casts worked up as full EE-3 ESB Blasters. My real Webley with all real parts - well all the ones that have been identified to date - is on the bottom. The first two casts are the ones above. Hard to tell the difference between the 3. :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    860.3 KB · Views: 563
If we can get 10 people committed I think can keep it at $650 plus shipping. This baby weighs in at 8 pounds with the stock added, so shipping would be in the $25 - $30ish range in the US depending upon where you are located.

Put me down for one regardless. Ill just have to start saving now. lol I live on the west coast (Los Angeles). Thanks

-Version1138

I currently don't have a source for the front barrel for the ROTJ blaster. The ROTJ version would have a shorter front barrel (not needed because it is covered up by the other barrel. Basically when the cast is just in the wax phase the front part would be lopped off and the. Just cast bronze from the truncated wax original. Makes the overall blaster a little light and gets rid of the needless extra barrel underneath the ROTJ version barrel. Some individuals make the other barrel in resin, but there hasn't been a source for a machined barrel in some time that I am aware of.

God, this is gorgeous! I'd love to have one of these but I can't afford the bronze cast. Any resin options in the future for us poorer collectors?

I currently don't have a source for the front barrel for the ROTJ blaster. The ROTJ version would have a shorter front barrel (not needed because it is covered up by the other barrel. Basically when the cast is just in the wax phase the front part would be lopped off and the. Just cast bronze from the truncated wax original. Makes the overall blaster a little light and gets rid of the needless extra barrel underneath the ROTJ version barrel. Some individuals make the other barrel in resin, but there hasn't been a source for a machined barrel in some time that I am aware of.

Ah, understood! Thanks! An all-metal or mostly metal ROTJ EE-3 remains pretty elusive!

God, this is gorgeous! I'd love to have one of these but I can't afford the bronze cast. Any resin options in the future for us poorer collectors?

Wasn't planning on a resin version at this time just because there are several vendors oit there that offer up a very good resin webley. I haven't seen the full webley kit, but Sidewinder makes the kit that I use when I make the complete ESB EE-3. Could look at doing this in the future if there is enough interest, though.

interested if the cast stays in the $650 range, though its still a maybe for me at that. great casts though.

Last edited:
The fully completed ESB EE-3 would run $1000 plus shipping. This include the Webley and stock, Sidewinder's parts kit including the upgraded metal scope rings, leather sling, assembly and painting/weathering. I do take it apart slightly for shipping, but really only have to put like 6 screws back in place to fully assemble it back together again for display. Trying to sell one on Ebay currently to maximize my price to recoup my original investment costs. :) If that doesn't sell have that one available right away. Attached are the pics of the finished fully completed ESB EE-3.

Looking like we will get enough people to get to 10, so the Webley alone will be $650 plus shipping.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_2389.JPG
    IMG_2389.JPG
    914.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_2391.JPG
    IMG_2391.JPG
    979.1 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_2393.JPG
    IMG_2393.JPG
    706.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2394.JPG
    IMG_2394.JPG
    1,018.5 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_2398.JPG
    IMG_2398.JPG
    682.3 KB · Views: 305
The run is a go. Talked to my shop and they will get more going this week. I will reach out to those individuals that have expressed interest so far via PM to discuss deposits and timeframes - know that some mentioned saving up for this, so I could potentially do a payment plan like $200 down and $100 a month if that helps anyone.

Thanks,
Dave

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back