Looking for 3D head model or 3D scan for modelling helmets/cowls

KJC

I have recently switched from hand sculpting to doing primarily digital sculpting. I have not been able to find a readily available base head model to use for sculpting cowls or scaling helmet models. Ideally, I am looking for a pre-scaled correctly proportioned human head model that I can use as a base to sculpt from and a size reference. I would like for the head circumference to be about 24 inches as that is the typical standard size for rubber cowls. Does anyone have a head model or a 3D scan off an actual person's head they could provide me?
Thanks

You could check out Makehuman. It's a program for creating custom 3d human model. I'm not sure how realistic the proportions are though. You could also try scanning your head with 123D Catch.

I have recently switched from hand sculpting to doing primarily digital sculpting. I have not been able to find a readily available base head model to use for sculpting cowls or scaling helmet models. Ideally, I am looking for a pre-scaled correctly proportioned human head model that I can use as a base to sculpt from and a size reference. I would like for the head circumference to be about 24 inches as that is the typical standard size for rubber cowls. Does anyone have a head model or a 3D scan off an actual person's head they could provide me?
Thanks

I don't have it on my laptop, but I'll add a download link to this thread tonight, Otherwise pm me cause I might forget.

EDIT:
Here's a model I'm using for these sort of things
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16029672/MaleBaseMesh_SubD1_ArmsDown.OBJ

Last edited:
I don't have it on my laptop, but I'll add a download link to this thread tonight, Otherwise pm me cause I might forget.

EDIT:
Here's a model I'm using for these sort of things
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16029672/MaleBaseMesh_SubD1_ArmsDown.OBJ

Thanks. I think I had this one already, but it is not scaled to life size.

Does the program you use to digitally sculpt not have a head you can use - which program are you using and what file type would you prefer?

Here is a copy of the head supplied with Zbrush, not sure of any measurements or if it would be any use to you.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/vkhyvvb8hyh58bz/DemoHead.OBJ

This one is also not scaled.

I appreciate the suggestions. My main issue is the size. Since I am using this for models that will be printed, molded, and cast as wearable pieces, I am wanting a head model that is already scaled to a normal human size.

Ah yes right. My bad, I'm using this one, but scaled to correct size in my applicaton. Have it scaled to 185 cm in height.
You want me to scale it up for you. what size?

I can scale myself. There is just no point of reference. I will make due until I can get a 3d scan of a human with a known size.

Ehm. what do you mean? Since I don't know his true length, the size will be off? for instance scaling him to 185 when he's in reality 170 cm?
Yeah sure I can see that, but imo the difference in human anatomy is so vast that you can't really say it's inaccurate at 180 or 185 cm. Besides, looking at this scan I think we can estimate his length to be above 180 cm at least. If he'd be shorter in reality it would look weird. for instance, he does not have the proportion of someone at 170 or shorter imo.

I could google and see if I can find out his height somehow.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back