My Anakin Starkiller V2 Lightsaber build

Aison

I thought I would share my build, or should I say my rebuild. I had previously used troopers stencils and used a cheap satin black paint straight on the aluminum, I used Q-tips with some turps to soften the edges, everything looked great, but it would not dry. I went back to scratch, and got another stencil. This time I thought I would do this better and badder. I looked at the new reference photos and thought I would do my best, so I started to weather the booster, some keys, a metal ruler, 240 grit in light circular motions, reg steel wool, super fine steel wool, hydrogen peroxide with the steel wool. Soon results looked good. I used Aluminum Black on the booster and pommel to make it look dull and aged. Trick with the A/B was using it with steel wool and as soon as it turned black to rub it off with the steel wool working the fluid until it evaporated, and then dabbing it dry, then washing it with water to stop the reaction until I got it to how I wanted. I roughed out some of the dings in the pommel, but still have some more fine tunning to go.

IMG_4917.jpgIMG_4919.jpgIMG_4920.jpg

Next I sought a better way to paint, I thought I needed a primer, and found a flat black primer Rust-oleum 2x I also bought British Paints Satin black as well. I decided to work on the grenade first, and I am masking up sections and taking the long way round, thus when I do the booster last there will be less handling. I already fitted a genuine graflex clamp which is a bit loose, nothing some tape wont fix. I noticed in the reference pics the clamp has two different positions, which indicates it is movable on the prop. I prepped and removed the old paint, masked and hit three of the grooves lightly misting on the flat black until it was all covered. I let it sit for an hour, then hit it with the satin black.

IMG_4921.jpg

IMG_4922.jpg

I let this sit overnight. The Satin Black was a thick paint, I was worried this was a rinse and repeat, but I was wrong. Upon further investigation the paint on the original prop does have a lip in areas, indicating it was put on thick. I sat down with some bamboo toothpicks, studied the reference photos carefully, used a ruler and some guessing, held it at the same angles as the pics and started to work the chips in. To my suprise the paint was malleable, I could use the toothpick to push open and shape, and even correct, using the toothpick like a rolling pin. The paint is dry and will dry harder in five days, so the working time is limited.

IMG_4925.jpgIMG_4926.jpgIMG_4929.jpg

I am pretty happy so far, my placement may be a mm out here or there, but it is hard with photos and angles to get exact placement. I will wait 5 day until I mask up and do some more sections, so it will be slow going, but worth while I hope.

Last edited:
Hey, check your attachments. It looks like they didn't load properly. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Sorry you had so much trouble with the paint the first time.

Hey, check your attachments. It looks like they didn't load properly. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Sorry you had so much trouble with the paint the first time.

Thanks, uploaded them again, very frustrating, I hate writing a post and being singed out, then I have to do it again. I am glad I had the trouble, it made stumble across this, which is very cool and easy to work in the chips. I at one point thought of doing it all, but the booster looks like a Pita, and I carefully eyed your stencil to the photos and was impressed, so I will be using that and probably the top of the emitter, I might try to do the rest myself, there's some fun to be had in doing that.

I thought about using some type of masking fluid, or those 3d pens to mask out, since I could apply and re-adjust until it matched really well, then spray.

I guess all those stencils are gone?

How many sets of stencils have I sent you in total? Did you use all of them? Sounds to me like you just need to use some different paint. Or is it just so wet where you live that paint won't cure? Are you sure you're not overspraying?

How many sets of stencils have I sent you in total? Did you use all of them? Sounds to me like you just need to use some different paint. Or is it just so wet where you live that paint won't cure? Are you sure you're not overspraying?

I got one that got damaged, used it. Did not over spray, (I have trade history in Panel Beating and spraypainting) it was cheap satin black I had laying around, and after using turps to soften edges, even on the parts I didn't, it would not dry, remained tacky and would come off onto you hand a little after touching. I then bought another set which I have not used. I am on the list for the next run and wanted another stencil for that. This new paint system is going to be ok. Weather is dry and hot, then can turn humid for a day or two.

Trick with the A/B was using it with steel wool and as soon as it turned black to rub it off with the steel wool working the fluid until it evaporated, and then dabbing it dry, then washing it with water to stop the reaction until I got it to how I wanted.

Not sure I'm following the process here... you applied the black with steal wool? dabbed it dry?

Just curious... I like this idea for dulling it down... may hit it this week, so good to know how you went about it...

Not sure I'm following the process here... you applied the black with steal wool? dabbed it dry?

Just curious... I like this idea for dulling it down... may hit it this week, so good to know how you went about it...

After weathering with keys and light circular sanding (240wet/dry) and then steel wool with hydrogen peroxide which helps dull the aluminum, I cleaned off the residue and then hit it with the A/B (Brichwood Casey) I applied it with cotton wool and kept rubbing it all over, nothing seemed to be happening until I stopped rubbing, it started to go black, too much, so I grabbed the fine steel wool, poured some drops onto it and rubbed it on, the steel wool takes the black back off, so I kept going lightly with the steel wool, slowly to let it blacken, then faster if it was too black until it all evaporated, then dabbed the booster dry with a rag to remove any more residue, inspected and repeated if needed until I got it to where I wanted. I don't think you can mess this up, as you can always use the steel wool with some more A/B, it seems like you can control application and removal with the steel wool and the speed you rub, and how long you leave it to turn black. Once you get into it you will get a pattern down.

I have used the gun blue with steel wool and it does not do this, it just goes black, the steel wool does not take it back off. The A/B woked a bit differently, and this was my first time using it, and I did not let it go completely black and let it set to then try the steel wool to see if it came off, so I don't know if it is easy to remove after the A/B has set.

Oh, so you have one AND ordered a second one. Gotcha!

Yeah, first one I damaged taking it out and putting it back in the envelope on a hot day. I used that one, and ordered a second which you sent me before the second run you did. I tried to get another set for the next Anakin Starkiller run but you sold out before I could get in on it. So I have the one set to use again on this one. I have already had a practice go with one set, so this time it should be a breeze. The next V2 I am going to make it into the original Obi stunt, so paint it black, keep it shiny, and stick a motor in it!

Checked the paint today, it has dried harder and is not workable like the previous day. I can tell it is going to harden nicely and will be ok to use some super fine steel wool to weather and buff the shine. All up I put a light coat of the flat back, let it flash dry in a minute, hit it again with the flat black until all the grenade was painted and inspected for any missed spots. In one hour I hit it with the satin black, same thing first coat lightly (the paint in the pressure pack was thicker than other pressure packs Ive used) let it flash, watching the shine dull, then hit it again until it looked all coated. The grenade area to cover with paint is a little more difficult and requires more angles and thicker paint build up as opposed to the booster a flat surface round. Thinner paint will cover the grenade area quicker but getting a run is easy, and very light coats are needed. I am happy with the thicker paint so far and it should be more durable for handling. Using the primer will greatly increase the adhesion to the aluminum. If you are going just a flat black, get a primer flat black. If you are going a Satin black, I would recomend a flat black primer first, then the satin black. If you are going a cheap can of black paint, I say beware, I used some cheap stuff first time and it would not dry and was still tacky and rubbing off onto my hand after a week.

Did some more bands on the grenade, will post pics of the grenade part when done, have been weathering the emitter. I am not sure if this has been discussed but the emitter does not looked round, but more octagonal to me.

v2 emitter not round.jpg

I know some stock aluminium might come in this shape, was it not completely machined round, or have the photos been edited and cut out in PS? Any opinions. I know there is one dent in the emitter. Anyone else seeing this?

no, that's just a bad crop job in that one photo. look at all of the other photo references. it's round. :)
except for the one flat spot.

Well, the original prop was molten cast, and then finished on a lathe. Parts of it might be more oval or squashed, we all know the Shared Stunt is.

The V2 is one of my favorite lightsabers, but I gotta say, IMO, I think it looks amazing when its not weathered. The clean contrast of the aluminum and the black pieces just really look amazing to me. When I saw Anakin Starkiller's renders where its clean I knew it had to be mine...

You could just go for more of a natural weathered look instead of stencil. I have heard of guys just leaving their saber in a tool box for a month that they carry around from time to time and let it get all weathered up on its own. My buddy did something similar with his Obi Grenade section while we were still in high school, where for a solid 6 months every time we walked anywhere he would take it out of his pocket and kick it down the street the whole way. He even buried it in the dirt for a month.

no, that's just a bad crop job in that one photo. look at all of the other photo references. it's round. :)
except for the one flat spot.

That one flat spot, I think that's where the dent is. I thought it was a bad crop too, but in all the other photos I see the same thing, mind you I use my projector and the images are very large, so in reality the size of the object, the flat spots would not be as obvious, but I think they are there, as even from the screen cap where it is sitting on the emperor's chair I can still see the faint octagonal shape. Was it cast of the Original Hero Obi one? Those grenades are not round there vertical grooves that divide it up into rows, are there 8? as I dont not have a Obi replica. If it was cast off a Obi one hero and those vertical grooves filled in to make it easier to have one less profile to finish, they may cause this subtly octagon shape. So then the cast was finished on the lathe, interesting, all this may explain the octagonal shape I am seeing. Or maybe i am just seeing things.

I agree, the V2 looks amazing unweathered, I have a russrep like this. Funny enough, the way it looks is due to the paint wearing off the grenade by handling making the silver rings visible and not by design.

I have not used a stencil yet, this is being done with a toothpick. I may use troopers stencil for the booster.

My goal here is to replicate the prop as best I can, like what Kpax did with his DL44. The way I see it, I am making a replica of the movie prop, not Luke Skywalker's light saber, I may later do the opposite and make the character's version crisp and new. My other one will be painted up like Obi Wan's stunt, like new.

Tool box weathering, good idea, that would create a nice natural look, kicking it down the street, a little brutal for me, lol, maybe for a Sith Sabre!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back