My $29.00 Han Solo DL-44 Blaster Build

azheat01

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My son always wants to play with my most expensive collectibles, so I decided I'm going to surprise him with his very own working Han Solo DL-44 air soft blaster. It's always fun to scratch build stuff like this when you don't have to worry about accuracy. Despite EVERYTHING being incorrect, I think it will look the part once painted. Everything I used to build this I had laying around except the following:

- Airsoft Pistol
- BB gun scope
- Resin muzzle brake

I bought one of these sets for $8.50 on eBay, can't go wrong there.

1.jpg

$8.00 BB gun scope from Walmart.

2.jpg

I disassembled the scope, removed some of the plastic rings, and only left on the front eye piece. I then took off the sight adjustment housing and cut it in half. I'm going to add one adjustment knob to the top of the scope.

3.jpg

4.jpg

I had some aluminum scrap left over and cut off a 2" piece, then used the existing scope mounts to clamp onto the aluminium strip. The aluminum strip is bolted to a door deadbolt strike plate like the one pictured below.

5.jpg

6.jpg

I cut another piece of aluminum and mounted that to the bottom of the strike plate. I added three metal washers and cut off the tops of two nails and epoxied those to the two outer washers. I epoxied a brass grommet to the center washer and took half of the original sight adjuster knobs and epoxied that to the top of the scope.

7.jpg

I found a rubber screw cap and covered the nut behind the scope.

8.jpg

9.jpg

I had some left over hose and decided to test a piece for the front grill. I think it'll work, so I'll re-cut it tomorrow for a better fit.

10.jpg

I think once I prime, paint, and weather, it will look OK. Better yet, my son will love it! He can still remove the magazine, cycle the slide, and shoot the little yellow pellets that came with it. Although as far as the cats are concerned, that may end up being a bad thing..............

Last edited:
Re: My $29 Han Solo DL-44 Build

That is awesome! I bought the same base gun gun but scrapped it. This is inspiration to start it back up!

These "Macgyver" type builds of Han's DL-44 are inspirational!!! The Denix and above builds are incredible but I just don't have the funds to buy $250 + metal parts kits at the drop of the hat. You folks with the hardware and craft store parts have shown that GREAT LOOKING PROJECTS are clearly possible without breaking the bank!! Thank You!!!

This will come in SO handy when Halloween rolls around!! Thanks for the inspiration!

-Ash

These "Macgyver" type builds of Han's DL-44 are inspirational!!! The Denix and above builds are incredible but I just don't have the funds to buy $250 + metal parts kits at the drop of the hat. You folks with the hardware and craft store parts have shown that GREAT LOOKING PROJECTS are clearly possible without breaking the bank!! Thank You!!!

So cool. That's at least 1000 dad points in the bank right there!

This will come in SO handy when Halloween rolls around!! Thanks for the inspiration!

-Ash

Thanks guys, I love trying to scratch build stuff like this. Did the same thing with my Jawa droid caller and it was a lot of fun.

Great job on this! So what was used for the flash supressor? The big end of the scope?

I got the muzzle brake a while ago, it's a resin copy someone made. But if you search the forums here, there are some great scratch built muzzles. I think someone did one with a glue stick body and a funnel.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back