Stormtrooper scan model from Star Wars Battlefront

There ya go, mirrored Left Top and Glasses with Right Lower and Ears...the best of all worlds. Also virtually guaranteed to anger the maximum number of purists.

I believe the black section at the bottom you're referring to is commonly called the Vocorder.

There ya go, mirrored Left Top and Glasses with Right Lower and Ears...the best of all worlds. Also virtually guaranteed to anger the maximum number of purists.

I believe the black section at the bottom you're referring to is commonly called the Vocorder.

Thank you, will remember that, vocorder.
I'm thinking of going with the middle though. Gotta get started. Updates will follow.

I think the R-Mirrored looks best personally.
The ROTJ face mould collapsed on the left side, so the right "should" be the most accurate.
The cap & back is slightly rotated so neither right nor left view is perfect.

I'm a ROTJ TK in the 501st so was cool to see how accurate they made the battlefront models.

I think the R-Mirrored looks best personally.
The ROTJ face mould collapsed on the left side, so the right "should" be the most accurate.
The cap & back is slightly rotated so neither right nor left view is perfect.

I'm a ROTJ TK in the 501st so was cool to see how accurate they made the battlefront models.

Thanks, I see.

Took me a while to get my head around how asymmetrical the originals were, I picked up my "off the original moulds" kit as I lived near shepperton and a few hours into building it I actually drove back to make sure I hadn't got a bad pull cos the top dome was so skewed!

I agree that they *should* be symmetrical given the Empire's technology, but they're not and that's what a stormtrooper helmet looks like :) Same with symmetrical Vader helmets, they feel weird and off to me...

I'm back!
Kinda just quit this as everything else. But then I heard of someone doing a symmetrical Darth Vader helmet based on a 3D scan of an SL or EFX version who in turn was inspired by some other fellow who'd done a symmetrical stormtrooper helmet. The idea here is not to flip one side over, but to average them in between. this can be done by mirroring the full helmet and then blending them halfway in between.

Took me a while to get my head around how asymmetrical the originals were, I picked up my "off the original moulds" kit as I lived near shepperton and a few hours into building it I actually drove back to make sure I hadn't got a bad pull cos the top dome was so skewed!

I agree that they *should* be symmetrical given the Empire's technology, but they're not and that's what a stormtrooper helmet looks like :) Same with symmetrical Vader helmets, they feel weird and off to me...
I understand your point and agree to some degree, but look what happens when you don't throw away one half, but instead average the full helmet! =)

Stormtrooper
http://thepropden.aokforums.com/1-vt4962.html

Vader
http://thepropden.aokforums.com/true-symmetrical-darth-vader-helmet-vt4993.html?start=0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkvR5yQiNcU

So with that I was convinced. The result looks awesome and I was feeling mighty inspired so I made my own today.
https://youtu.be/97_TiNg35RM

To answer some of your questions regarding Star Wars Battlefront 2015 models, here's a thread I've downloaded a bunch from:
https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1524340

Last edited:
yeah the True Symmetrical Trooper is mine, we averaged the symmetry by taking images of a screen used helmet and running them through a program to where it averages the symmetry, we then duplicated what we saw in the images to give a True Symmetrical helmet that has the looks and feel of the OT lids. . i have a thread here on TRPF as well. actually i just posted on the thread, ill have an update soon on the 1:1 scale version :D

Haha, great!
And a great idea! Thank you for that. Didn't really occurred to me when I first wanted to make a symmetrical helmet, but this is obviously the way to go even if the left side collapsed and didn't look as intended, this is what it looks like on film.

You sculpted it manually with clay without any 3D scans etc, just a front image?

Haha, great!
And a great idea! Thank you for that. Didn't really occurred to me when I first wanted to make a symmetrical helmet, but this is obviously the way to go even if the left side collapsed and didn't look as intended, this is what it looks like on film.

You sculpted it manually with clay without any 3D scans etc, just a front image?

well,
i was taking the same approach you were taking with mirrored symmetry,but instead of doing the better lefthand side like some companies had done. i was going to mirror the right side.
but NoHumorMan suggested that i do averaged symmetry. so as i explained in my previous post. we took images from all angles of a film used helmet. and ran them through a program where it averaged both sides of the helmet to give us a true film accurate symmetrical helmet. we then painstakingly duplicated what we saw in those images to give the results that you see in my TS thread. we did sculpted it digitally. ill be having the TS printed out in 1:1 scale as soon as the artist and I have all of the modifications or functional details that the R1 helmets have to it, but not to mistake that with adding what you see on the R1's. we will only be implementing the concept of those functional details to what you see on the TS now. really cannot wait to get it printed and have a helemt made :D

Last edited:
I see.
Good work! Sounds hard :)
But my new model is averaged in the very same way you suggested, but based on an actual 3D scan of an original helmet straight from the Lucasfilm archives. So instead of averaging photos, I've averaged the actual 3D model. Basically flipped it and then blended to 50% between the two. It can't get any closer than that and I don't have to do any guess work. Now I just wish I had a scan of Darth Vader from ANH =)

Btw, what program did you use to morph the images?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back