Stormtrooper scan model from Star Wars Battlefront

Geuse

Hi.
Just wanted to discuss the models of the new game where they have supposedly scanned the original props. I assume there are many versions of storm troopers as there are different versions of Darth Vader from ep 3-6

I'm planning on creating a storm trooper that would be symmetrical but base it off the 3D scanned model.
So here is a comparison shot of the model and my modified versions. Hopefully it's self explanatory, but I would like to hear your thoughts- Which one loooks best?

Attachments

• stormtroopers_comparison.jpg
    stormtroopers_comparison.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 1,173
Would you mind posting the original helmet in pepakura for me? It looks like it would be fun to build. The right side definitely looks the best.

Id be slightly wary of the claim that they scanned "original props" for Battlefront. For one the word "original" is open to interpretation, but mainly, having worked for EA for many years (but no longer do), they, like any large corporation tend to put a bit of a spin on things for marketing purposes. Just curious, where did you see that claim? And how are people extracting 3D models from the game?

Right side mirrored looks the best. How will you be making the helmet? 3D print or pepakura?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the right side mirror as well. And I do remember EA released a video saying lots of props were direct scans of the originals. Most obvious tell for me is the detail on the wings of the Tie Fighters. Looking at a Tie Fighter build in the Studio Scale threads and comparing the details to the in game model is just jaw droppingly identical.

The original scan looks best, mirroring always looks off to me.
That's interesting to read. I may be so biased since I've used 3D apps for so long that I prefer a symmetrical model and can't see it looks weird. Also the symmetry makes more sense imo to something that would likely be created with their technology. The reason for the asymmetry is because it was modeled in clay and then molded and casted. It seems a bit too lowtech to me. But I understand your critique.

the symmetry makes more sense imo to something that would likely be created with their technology.

I don't disagree that theory necessarily, but one thing looks like a stormtrooper, and one does not. Asymmetrical is what they are, whether it makes sense or not.

Instead of mirroring how about correcting the lop sidedness of the helmet's left side somewhat? I think that is an element of asymmetry that isn't on all ROTJ helmets, just most of them (forming error, it is documented on the net somewhere what happened back in the day). imperceptible asymmetry is part of the "face" of the stormtroopers, symmetrical ones look wrong in an instant, whereas asymmetry that betrays the high tech expectations of a scifi universe is only really noticeable upon inspection.

I understand your point of view, but I don't really see it the same way. I agree that the asymmetry gives it a certain look, but I still don't think symmetry makes it worse. I will do some work on it before printing it out with pepakura, referencing both sides.

Another idea though as the existing pepakura by fierfek is symmetrical, would people be interested in a pep for a screen accurate original stormtrooper?

I think your profile pics for the mirrored shots are switched (ear, eye and lower tube on Scanned matches ear on L-Side Mirrored...which shouldn't be the case, Scanned should match R-Side Mirrored), neither here nor there. I also prefer L Side Mirrored. My mind has always filled in the blanks and made Stormtrooper helmets symmetrical anyway, so that is what I actually prefer. That being said, I'm certain that there's interest for an accurate asymmetrical TK Pep.

I think your profile pics for the mirrored shots are switched.

You are of course correct! My bad. The profile pics for R and L are in the wrong order. Sorry, but it doesn't affect the silhouette like a front shot and I prefer the right side profile with the ear piece not angled that much.
I'm going to mix a bit since I prefer the top of the left side. It is not as cubic, but I'm not going to take any liberties aside from that. The scan is what I'm using, just different parts on each side. That's the idea.
And a pep for a screen accurate wouldn't be much more work anyway. I'll sort that out once I'm done with the modified version. Just watching the pep side by side with the original leaves a lot to be desired. But still, the pep is good, just not very accurate.

Hopefully my last post before I can begin work on this.
I did a mockup of 2 alternatives. Hopefully self explanatory. Should I go "all right" or a mix in between?
I forgot to modify the black part farthest down(don't know what to call it) It's supposed to be 3 hoses in the middle, but the right side cuts it off to only one.

Attachments

• stormtroopers_comparison_02.jpg
    stormtroopers_comparison_02.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 246
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back