Real Graflex based Luke Skywalker ANH Light Saber Project Build

Thanks everyone, as mentioned elsewhere my head is now *really* spinning. No wonder all the replica ANH strips are clear, very interesting.

Sure glad I have not modified the original yet in any way, put in in a bag for now. Replica re-installed.

Dang it Jim!, I'm not a doctor, I only build sabers...

---

2016.04.07 : the search for available Sound Modules and blade emitter LED's :

As far as the saber emitter/blade LED, my original still has had a single die white Luxeon ~5 watt emitter with a CF v3 (now not working) Sound Board to back it up. It was the brightest I could find at the time looking at all the spec's. Now I see _everything_ has changed.

We now have Tri-color and separate emitter dies? The blue/blue/white triple die LED combination looks promising for the ANH saber using the white as flash effect (using a proper Sound Module I do not have yet = a hopefully a CF v8). Actually, on the original mentioned above I had just barely tinted the blade with a Cyan theatrical filter/gel installed in front of the LED/blade mounted in the TGS blade holder. If you remember, the original ANH movie showed a bright white/blue saber discharge, and understandably due to the actual film's and color saturation and white balance at the time, post edit and probably other factors.

A slightly filtered white LED source is still more apparent in brightness to the eye than an equivalent specified -> blue spectrum LED output.

Of course, the latter movies had the blade lean more to an actual 'blue tint'. That is understandable with CGI and rendering.

There are some awesome builds out there and VERY bright true blue blades. Sure will have to research this some more... now back to the 'net.

Cheers

---

Re: Vintage Graflex Luke ANH light saber build - bubble strip comparisons

Exactra 20 BUBBLE STRIP Update

Finally received a 'different' Exactra 20 Calculator from fellow RPF member Edraven99. He contacted me as he indicated there were different PCB types where the Exacta bubble strip mounts, he also indicated that the Bubble Strips from the calculators differ, who would have known? Since I am building an Luke ANH vintage G R A F L E X replica and he is building a Vader ANH replica it was pointed out that the bubble strips have different bases or outlines just under and around the actual bubbles. I am told that tehe screen used Luke ANH version has a more clear base and Vader's ANH is more frosted. Well anyway, had the chance to take pictures of both 'types' of Extra 20 calculators to do some comparison and reference for all of us saber freaks. So here we go:

First here is the back of both Exactra 20 calculators, mine with the frosted strip is on the left, clear strip on the right. Notice closely the frosted version is marked EX-20 and the clear is marked TI-20 (on the upper left, under battery compartment).
_1cl5454_RearBoth_2048.jpg

Closeup of rear of the EX-20 frosted version:
_1cl5457_RearFrosted_2048.jpg

Closeup of rear of the TI-20 clear version:
_1cl5456_RearClear_2048.jpg

Closeup of frosted:
_1cl5470_FrostedCloseUp_01_2048.jpg

Closeup of clear:
_1cl5471_ClearCloseUp_01_2048.jpg

Side-by-side, frosted left clear right:
_1cl5463_Vertical_SidebySide_01_2048.jpg

2 angled views, frosted top, clear bottom:
_1cl5466_SidebySide_Angle_01_2048.jpg

_1cl5468_TopAndBottom_01_2048.jpg

There is definitely a difference, at some viewing angles more than others and dependent on ambient lighting. Also you can see the different colored PCB's under the strips. I'm not sure if the rear EX-20 and TI-20 markings are related to the strip types, or it's just a manufacturing difference using what ever strips they had on hand at the time.

Hope you have found this helpful and maybe some here can shed some more light on the subject of Luke ANH = clear and Vader ANH = frosted.

I'm just glad I had not fit my strip into the Graflex clamp yet, seeing for 9 years of storage I just might have the wrong one. Again, let me know what you think. Will this later when I actually get up the nerve to fit the clear strip into my build.

Cheers,

Chip

---

Attachments

• _1cl5452_FrontSideBySide_01_2048.jpg
    _1cl5452_FrontSideBySide_01_2048.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 159
  • _1cl5459_ClearAndFrostedTogether_01_2059.jpg
    _1cl5459_ClearAndFrostedTogether_01_2059.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 161
Ahh, so cool you found a frosted version! I've bought two 19's and two 20's, and all four are the clear version. I woulda made that trade too, Edraven99 lucked out. Well you both made out! :)

I just recently (finally) installed one of my Exactras into my ANH saber too. Good luck with the rest of your build! :thumbsup

I think there is something to the EX/TI observation. I just cracked open my EX version and it's frosted.
Good thing as I'm making a Vader. Thanks for posting this informative research.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I have both an EX-20 and a TI-20, and they both have the same all clear bubble strip. Also have two EX-19's with the same clear bubble strips.

Ahh, so cool you found a frosted version! I've bought two 19's and two 20's, and all four are the clear version. I woulda made that trade too, Edraven99 lucked out. Well you both made out! :)

I just recently (finally) installed one of my Exactras into my ANH saber too. Good luck with the rest of your build! :thumbsup

Same to you. This is an Interesting subject is it not? Learn the ways of the Exactra 20 you will. Do you have a build link?

I think there is something to the EX/TI observation. I just cracked open my EX version and it's frosted.
Good thing as I'm making a Vader. Thanks for posting this informative research.

So, another EX-20 with frosted strip, very interesting indeed... I wonder if this has been discussed before. Thanks for sharing this, that makes 2 EX-20's that are frosted.

and the other member here: Jedi Raeali:
I have both an EX-20 and a TI-20, and they both have the same all clear bubble strip. Also have two EX-19's with the same clear bubble strips.

And now, EX and TI are both clear strips...

Is this place not a great source of information or what. Now I am left with the EX and TI does not matter. There are two of us here confirmed the EX has frosted and the TI has clear. Now we have another that has both and say's they are clear based. Maybe related to serial numbers on the rear of the back or date of manufacture (DOM), and NOT the EX nor TI designation. Again, let's bump to a new thread on this and start an "The Exactra Calculator - a Bubble Strip comparison and database" subject. Agreed?

Maybe we need to bump this to a thread possibly called "'Exactra 20 OEM Bubble Strip discussion' to another thread as this could get interesting.

[EDIT] new thread for the Exactra Bubble strip data "The Vintage Exactra Calculator - a Bubble Strip comparison and database" is now posted here, It sure will be interesting if enough members contribute (hint):
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=260479

Cheers,

Chip

---

Last edited:
Is this place not a great source of information or what. Now I am left with the EX and TI does not matter. There are two of us here confirmed the EX has frosted and the TI has clear. Now we have another that has both and say's they are clear based. Maybe related to serial numbers on the rear of the back or date of manufacture (DOM), and NOT the EX nor TI designation. Again, let's bump to a new thread on this and start an "The Exactra Calculator - a Bubble Strip comparison and database" subject. Agreed?

Maybe we need to bump this to a thread possibly called "'Exactra 20 OEM Bubble Strip discussion' to another thread as this could get interesting.

It's all kinda gone down already in that other "Lightsaber Calculator Bubbles New Discovery" thread that you also posted in recently: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=73545
I shared photos of my four Exactras in post #71 on page 3.

Last edited:
It's all kinda gone down already in that other "Lightsaber Calculator Bubbles New Discovery" thread that you also posted in recently: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=73545
I shared photos of my four Exactras in post #71 on page 3.

Copy, was just trying to gather the raw data in a simple format on an new thread thread to collect the Exactra data only. Agreed that thread mentioned is the granddaddy of all and I sure have learned a lot. If I need to cancel the data thread I started, let me know. Again ,it's just a format for Exactra data and nothing else (hopefully).

Cheers,

Chip
---

Copy, was just trying to gather the raw data in a simple format on an new thread thread to collect the Exactra data only. Agreed that thread mentioned is the granddaddy of all and I sure have learned a lot. If I need to cancel the data thread I started, let me know. Again ,it's just a format for Exactra data and nothing else (hopefully).

Cheers,

Chip
---

Just saw it, it's a good idea! I would suggest also including the tint of the calculator's screen in each info table.

I have a few things to finish up on the vintage Graflex Luke ANH build.

1 - order a proper D-ring and clip. Looks like I'm going with the Wanna Wanga version for now:
http://wannawanga.com/products/d-ring-with-clip/

2 - either use the plastic t-tracks sent to me about 9 years ago, or order a set from Wanna Wanga:
http://wannawanga.com/products/t-track/

However, still very interested if someone has a definite description, in particular the height and the width of the original ANH t-tracks? I'm going with the plastic screen versions. The ones I have from saberfreak are brown in color. Also have notice the bottom of the plastic t-tracks on some are routed out with a round channel on the bottom and the ones I have are flat. I assume the rounded routing will make the t-tracks a lot easier to glue onto the Graflex housing. My question is, which version is more screen accurate? Did they glue on flat or routed/rounded bottom plastic t-tracks?

Here are the t-tracks (received about 9 years ago) from Saberfreak:

20070910_1039.JPG

20070910_1038.JPG

Let me know what you think.

Chip
---

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back