Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Hi everyone,
I buckled down between commissions and made my vest this past week! I would love to share photos but for some reason forum is not allowing me to. Maybe because I am on the phone? Anyways love for you guys to check it out and give me some expert feed back! Drafting the pants next. :)

https://www.facebook.com/SeattleCosplay/posts/1073102116145292

edited to fix the link!

Last edited:
This looks beautiful!! Inspires me to put my front princess seams back in, it just looks soooo much better with a proper fit!

Hi everyone,
I buckled down between commissions and made my vest this past week! I would love to share photos but for some reason forum is not allowing me to. Maybe because I am on the phone? Anyways love for you guys to check it out and give me some expert feed back! Drafting the pants next. :)

https://www.facebook.com/SeattleCosplay/posts/1073102116145292

edited to fix the link!

Holidays have taken over but I'm slowly making progress, here's my felt version, still with some unresolved seam allowance decisions which appear in this version as mismatched seam-sewing.

It fits me but I am hating how unflattering it is when it falls open, it just turns me into a giant block up top which I am still convinced would be fixed if there were darts or princess seams. Or does the front not line up? Is it supposed to fall open in a triangle shape, instead of a straight match (as if you could put in a zipper and it would fit perfect? Sorry I'm probably not using the correct terminology.

IMG_20161204_175104.jpgIMG_20161204_175201.jpg

That's great progress.

I dont think it's supposed to look flattering, it's supposed to look like she just scrounged it from the Resistance Base Goodwill Store.

Thanks! Just to clarify, what I linked before (the boucle fabric) was a mock up. I am nearly done with the actual jacket now. Will post photos tomorrow. I need to do the internal stitching in the casing seams. will do that while watching Westworld tonight! :D

I didn't use a princess seams thought - I used a waist seam dart and then a side seam dart. I will probably remove the waist dart in future versions.

This looks beautiful!! Inspires me to put my front princess seams back in, it just looks soooo much better with a proper fit!

Wow! You even got the visible stitching in-between the shoulder seams! How did you do that?

I've been kinda wanting to do this one, but I started Scavenger Rey first. Ah, limited budgets!

I've been lurking around this thread for months now, since I plan to make my best friend this costume for when we go to Star Wars Celebration in Orlando next year. Just wanted to comment on the stitching up the side of the neck and on the back, in the curved seams-- that's a technique called faggotting (*winces*, but it is what it is). It's often used when making baptismal gowns for babies, lol. Here's a few great links about it!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/275282595945273120/

http://sewnso.blogspot.com/2012/09/bridging-gap.html

I can't remember if anyone's talked about faggotting in this thread before, but I hope this is helpful! Can't wait to post my own progress once I get started.

Thanks everyone! I used 4 ply of thread, twist them together first, and then a ladder stitch in the grove. But I made sure there is actually a grove/gap in the first place, and made sure to not tighten the sewing too much. Some places I didn't do so well in not tightening, :( Part of the learning. LOL!

This is the photo that I think explained the stitch clearly. http://myscrappyideas.com/basic-tutorials/gap-closing-ladder-stitch/

Last edited:
Hey guys! Just getting started on this. Thanks for all the resources! I'm a bit stumped on the pants. The Rebel Legion standard calls for brown but when I'm looking at the references photos all I'm seeing is grey. What pants did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys! Just getting started on this. Thanks for all the resources! I'm a bit stumped on the pants. The Rebel Legion standard calls for brown but when I'm looking at the references photos all I'm seeing is grey. What pants did you buy?
Link to these ross pants is here, they are sort of olive, but can look gray or brown in diff lights.
https://emeraldb.com/2016/10/24/star-wars-rey-resistance-costume-part-4-pants/

resistance-rey-costume.jpg

i think they are wrong about brown, i believe i posted something a few pages back showing the pants color in relation to the brown holster and it appeared more gray green to me.

fed11926c124f26b3c49cdd7c52ce427.jpg

So after looking around for pants that look to be the right color, I think I'm going to order this fabric and try making pants for the first time. I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it.

Went to 3 different Joanns looking for that cotton herringbone fabric, all listed on the website as having 6 on hand but none of them could find it. Grrrrr

Out of curiosity, how much fabric did it take everyone to make their vests? The seller I bought from only had 1 yard. :/

Depending on the width of the fabric, 1 yard should be plenty to make the vest, given you line with a different fabric. I would guess a 1 yd. cut of 45" width would make one unlined vest with plenty of scrap, if not make one vest lined with the same fabric.

I used about 25" of a 60" width to make the shell layer, lined with a different fabric. For revisions, I would also cut all the facings out of the shell fabric. Have not made the cuff yet thought.... :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back