Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

I cannot stress how much I LOVE Dorr Mill Store's wool!!! I didn't even need to felt it!!! Guys this is the closest you are going to get to screen accurate as you are gonna fine. AHHH!!! LOVE!!!

20160912_180149.jpg20160912_180201.jpg

That's your best one yet, looks great!

Thank you!!! Yes, I think I'm finally happy with the result. Now on to the bag. Your write up was great and I'm using it as a guide. Already picked up and ordered my supplies for it. I opted to buy fabric and go without the Enfield sling, and just buy webbing.

Yeah I had the same problem, as I was making them for commissions! I bought three yard sections from them, and I think that was the end of what they had left. Sorry, y'all!!!

is dorr mill 7910 too light? and if you dye it darker will it felt like crazy? unfortunately the prairie woolens steel wool hasn't shown up in yardage yet. and you're all good owlfeathers! completely understandable.

is dorr mill 7910 too light? and if you dye it darker will it felt like crazy? unfortunately the prairie woolens steel wool hasn't shown up in yardage yet. and you're all good owlfeathers! completely understandable.

Oh, it dyes and felts beautifully, but I recommend felting, making the whole vest, THEN dying it, so that it dyes evenly. If you are self lining it, dye the outside first, then the lining. I started lining mine in this super soft grey flannel and it looks and feels wonderful!

I've been lurking on these threads for months, and finally posting! I'm so proud of my Jakku Rey that I went totally overboard on thanks to all the great advice here, and want to keep going and try for Resistance Rey. (Or maybe I want to get my money's worth out of these new Po-zu boots so they can go with more than one outfit, LOL!) I'm about to start Frankensteining parts of five different patterns together to make the vest, and going to start in felt first so I don't burn through $$$ worth of wool before I get the pattern perfect.

I'm reading there is definitely no princess seam in the front but I'm with those that keep seeing it when I watch the Blu-Ray. The side seam is just as disappear-y to me onscreen and that's there too, right? I've read the whole thread but it's possible I've missed something? Yes to front princess seam or no? And those who made their vest with no dart or princess seam, where the heck did you find a ladies' jacket pattern without either?? Or is it time to dust off the old pattern-making textbooks to figure out how to remove one myself?

Anyway, amazing job everyone, I can't wait to post my progress!

I do not think any commercially available pattern will be correct without significant modification. I tried the simplicity one and it was off in many ways. I had to scrap it.

Side seam. This is also the same seam connecting the front and back that is visable on both sides of the collar, since the collar is not a separate piece.
IMG_0074.JPG

No front princess seam. there was discussion on this early on, before the dvd came out, but im confident it does not exist.
IMG_0075.JPG

@Redwillow I think Kylo Ren said it best, "You're so right.":lol
Well I wouldn't call my first franken-pattern attempt my worst work ever, but ... it definitely has a long ways to go. I guess for my personal process though, I need this step so I can see the shape coming together first, and then I can visualize it in three dimensions and alter and re-do from there. So yes it's a mess, but now I feel like I have a rough basis to create my own pattern. The peplum is about 2 inches too short, slightly too circular in the front, and I forgot to extend it in the front to match the bodice front opening, I made six shoulder ridges instead of five, the shoulder pads don't have the right curve shape, (it was so wrong I didn't even bother attaching the left one) my back seams are too angular --- I need to soften them up, I need to cut the bodice so the collar is attached and break up the collar at the side seams.

I don't know ... even in the example showing there's no princess seam, am I crazy that I still see it? Is it an optical illusion that I see it plainer than ever, a line going from the waistline into the shoulder? I have no doubt the very experienced experts here are correct, it's just that I'm just a bit stumped on the whole physics of it. How are the ladies here getting this to lay properly on their chests and still have the front opening line up without any kind of seam or dart? So curious how others solved this!

IMG_20161105_215342.jpgIMG_20161105_215402.jpg

IMG_20161105_215342.jpg

IMG_20161105_215402.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Still plugging away,... question for everyone who has made this: How long was your peplum? I cut a new one at 7" but that still seems off?
Redwillow, your pants kneepad pattern is fantastic! Thank you so much!

I finally got my shoulder pad shape and ridges looking right, before they were too rounded. I'm no drafter/graphic designer/drawer but the way I got the shape right was to think more of the old United Airlines "tulip" logo, rather than try to use a french curve. More straight, then swooped, I guess?
Unknown.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering if anyone feels that this Vest could be made for Men? I am really liking all the amazing work you all have done. some amazing stuff. Any Ideas or advice? Thanks Dan

i used butterick 6104 as the base for my pattern. just cut the front opening at center front, bring up the waist line (i'm short lol), and maybe shorten the peplum (can't remember if i did). i still have to get muslin to figure out how i'm going to do the front peice without the princess seam but still have it lay the way it does now. other than that i can easily pattern out the seams in places there shouldn't be, fix the princess seam in the back, and add the collar seam. peplum came out to be 7 inches.
IMG_2385.JPG

I was wondering if anyone feels that this Vest could be made for Men? I am really liking all the amazing work you all have done. some amazing stuff. Any Ideas or advice? Thanks Dan
I'm sure it could. If you go back a few pages, I think there was a guy that posted some pics of him in one at a con.

Hey guys!!! I finally got my butt in shape and posted about the process it took to make my Rey on my FB page. One thing that is NOT on there is that I just updated the gauntlets. I made the pads on the ones shown too long. They should end about half an inch before your wrist so you have good movement. Hope this helps everyone out!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back