Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

I'm loving the casting choices.

Did anyone notice the actor from The Raid movies in the Rathar scene? A bit of a wasted role, since the dude went balls out in the Raid 2

That was one of the questions on the io9 article. It's one of those things that seems to suggest that there's a lot of stuff on the cutting room floor.

Ticket price in 1980, like 4 bucks for an adult. Today, normal 2D here is about 10, 3D 12.50, imax 15.

That's a friend an I always thought that the measure of success for a movie should not be the dollar amount it made but the total number of tickets sold, although even that wouldn't be totally accurate for historical comparisons due to the size and number of theaters today vs. back in 19XX.

JJ gets attacked when he uses things we have seen in a star wars film before, and attacked when he creates something new.
This, I'm sick of this already and its only been a week. People complaining that it looks too OT and there should be new stuff to make the galaxy bigger, and then complaining that they don't like the new stuff, all in the one breath. Its ridiculous.

I really don't see what the problem people have with the monsters on Han's ship, I mean have they seen ROTJ?

JJ gets attacked when he uses things we have seen in a star wars film before, and attacked when he creates something new.

I even saw someone use the excuse "it doesn't look like anything we have seen in a star wars film before", well isn't that true of everything we have seen in a film that wasn't in ANH? Like Wampas, Mynocks, Uganauts, Tauntauns, and all the things in jedi designed to sell toys, regardless of how bad they would look in the actual film.

Gamorean guards anyone?

Regardless of what those monsters looked like, the fact that Han just cold bloodedly just shoved a guy into its mouth is well on its way to erasing the memory of the Greedo shooting first travesty.

I had no problems with design of the monsters on the ship.

I had a problem with how that whole story part was handled. It offered nothing to the movie and just felt thrown in there. It really screwed with the flow of the movie. I'd much rather have just seen them skip right to escape on the Falcon when they got boarded and cut out that whole nonsense.

Why did it drag Finn around instead of eating him like they did everyone else? Because the plot needed it to.

I had no problems with design of the monsters on the ship.

I had a problem with how that whole story part was handled. It offered nothing to the movie and just felt thrown in there. It really screwed with the flow of the movie. I'd much rather have just seen them skip right to escape on the Falcon when they got boarded and cut out that whole nonsense.

Why did it drag Finn around instead of eating him like they did everyone else? Because the plot needed it to.

That was your experience, mine was that it reintroduced two of my favourite characters, and showed that they were both still getting into trouble, both still badasses, and had been looking for the falcon for a long time.

It showed that while Rey is brilliant around technology and machines she can still make mistakes.

Why did the Dionaga drag Luke down and not eat him, but let him go? Why did the swamp creature not eat R2? Why did the Scarlac not eat Lando when everyone else just went straight in the mouth? Why did the Rancor eat the Gamorean guard immediately, and the dancing girl, but give Luke enough time to poke a bone in his mouth and throw a skull at a switch, speaking of which, why does Luke even need to do that when we know he can pick up light sabres, x wings, rocks, R2 and even choke people in his way, all with the force alone?

Do you give the original trilogy a pass on film logic but not this one?

Are you really expecting one of the new leads of the movie to be eaten within half an hour of the film starting?

I think Rey has been trained already. 15 years before TFA she is being trained by Luke at the Jedi academy. Ben Solo believing Vader was the real heroe begins to turn to the dark side. He and 6 of his fellow students form the knights of ren under the influence of Snoke. Ben wants to build a light saber but Luke refuses to teach him sensing the dark side in Him thus dividing them more. Snoke secretly gives Ben plans on how to build a light saber from an ancient sith design. Ben and his knights of ren then systematically kill every Jedi student who are unable to defend themselves because Luke Skywalker is on a mission to find the first Jedi temple. Two students, one Rey's mother and Rey herself are the only ones left and before they are about to be killed Luke Skywalker arrives. He quickly realizes what is happening and ushers Rey and her mother onto his ship which also has Lor San Tekka aboard. He hands them a data chip and tells Rey's mother it is part of a map to the first Jedi temple. R2D2 has the other half of the map and they should go to the resistance to get him and then meet him at the temple. Luke turns to fight the Knights of ren who are also secretly searching for the temple. They break off to follow Rey and her mother and a few stay behind to fight Luke. Rey's mother cannot lose the Knights of ren and quickly lands on Jakku to leave her daughter and Lor San Tekka behind. She leaves as Rey screams for her to stay. Rey is overcome with the death she has seen and the loss of her mother. Lor San Tekka knowing he will attract attention gives Rey to a junk trader but remains behind to watch over her. Luke Skywalker before learning of this turn of events finds out the ship that Rey was on was destroyed. He is so overcome with grief he quickly goes into banishment. During the events of TFA when she touches the light saber and has the visions she literally runs away. Rey has not forgotten but was so traumatized by those events she blocked out her memories. She is scared to fulfill her destiny.

On my second viewing I notices that at least one of the pirates got dragged off before he was (presumably) eaten, so it wasn't just Finn that they were taking "to go."

3rd viewing tonight, it just gets better and better, JJ has done in my opinion a better job than any person alive today could've

I've decided that anyone still moaning about anything in this film is a knob !!

It is perfect even with its flaws, and it's flaws are far fewer than any of the OT

It just is simply pure Star Wars

3rd viewing tonight, it just gets better and better, JJ has done in my opinion a better job than any person alive today could've

I've decided that anyone still moaning about anything in this film is a knob !!

It is perfect even with its flaws, and it's flaws are far fewer than any of the OT

It just is simply pure Star Wars

locks-knob-3400.png

I've found much of the criticism to be fair. After a second viewing today, I've changed my mind a bit and may not agree with a lot of those criticisms but I clearly can see their points. Can't understand the vitriol and Star Warsier than thou attitudes.

Merry Christmas!

The absolutes about something like this that is very open to personal tastes and interpretation is kinda disturbing - I don't get that. I liked the movie quite a bit, but I can see many flaws - and could nitpick parts of it to death.

After my first viewing I was ecstatic. But, afterward I thought long and hard about - I read some of the more critical thoughts about it all and that started an internal debate for me - a love/hate relationship evolved from that. ...until I saw it the second time and a lot of the misgivings that I was developing seemed to fade a bit. The third time (this morning) I just enjoyed the ride.

This movie has faults - huge faults. But, I don't think it matters for this film.... at least for most of us. I think this movie works more like the prequels and less like the OT (outside of some very obvious and sometimes forced references) - most will refute that, and I get that.

I love that some of what I thought were faults can be explained (even if it's a stretch at times). Rey's proficiency with a lightsaber can be traced back to her skill with her staff (and maybe - just maybe, there might be more to come about all that). Kylo Ren's downfall during the duel(s) can be blamed on his injury (and even using the force to help keep that in check)... but, there are still bits that feel out of place.

Outside of a little fun, name-calling because someone felt differently about a movie than you seems a little silly. But, hey - I'm guilty of many things like that, too.

I'd rather hear what people did and didn't like about it and discuss that.

Last edited:
sometimes maybe you don't need one more character.

But it wasn't just one more character. It was an already established character who got a lot of attention AND knew a lot of stuff that pertained to pretty much every character. You're not doing Maz much favors if she's simply brushed aside for reasons that could apply to many other characters during the film's climax and final.

And truthfully, I don't view JJ as deserving much praise for what he considers to be a waste of time. When choices like this are made, they shouldn't feel like they replaced a problem with another one.

Nothing star wars'ier than though about it, its just flat out appreciation for what the makers of this film did, from the cast to the cleaners on set ... Heart and soul stand out no matter what the flaws

When people can't see the heart and soul because of things that frankly really don't matter, much as they didn't matter in the 70's and 80's

When I came out of all the OT films I just had passion for things Star Wars

I do again for the first time since 1983, my passion is so happy that the flaws pale away much as they did back then

Its the kid in you that needs to love this film not the grumpy adult that needs the Internet to vent about things with other grumpy adults.

If this film doesn't bring the kid out then nothing will

I feel like saying to JJ ( who I was not happy with as a choice at the start) but id say you deserve one thing for doing this, not an Oscar or bafta or writers guild blah blah or even a bonus the size of Everest

I'd say to him you deserve to have Irvan Kershners ghost appear and tell him he's completed his training ! That would be better than any human approval or sentiment ...

If pure Star Wars isn't good enough then you don't deserve it

It's one thing to say you love the movie. Great. Good for you.

Calling people names who don't agree with you speaks volumes about you. I tried to respond with humor. Obviously that was lost on you. People like you are why I started my own thread about TFA.

This last post or yours does not even make sense. If you don't love pure Star Wars you don't deserve it??? What does that even mean??? I don't deserve a reboot/total copy of ANH. I sure don't, I deserve a lot better.

I have no problem with anyone who loves this film. People who are abnoxious name calling children just because someone disagrees with them I do have a problem with.

Grow up.

It's just a movie.

Tom

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back