Studio Scale Red 5 X-Wing

kokkari

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I know another Red 5. I was tired of seeing all the Falcon posts so I thought I would show off this Red 5 I recently completed by Galactic Resin Models. No build photos, because it was pretty strait forward and we've seen those before. Just some glamor shots. The wings are fixed, which is fine by me, because I don't plan on displaying my bird with the wings closed anyway. The casts were fantastic with a normal amount of sanding and finagling here and there. The engines light up with 4 leds and the droid and cockpit are lit with 2 leds and fibers.

The fuselage is taken from a Maxi Brute rocket. The engine intakes were taken from Saturn rocket kits and the engines themselves were from a 72 Phantom. Parts that were not found from kits were scratch built.

I was never a huge Red 5 fan until I started researching and finding actual photos of what it used to look like (whatever its fate was).
DSC_0803.jpgDSC_0767.jpgDSC_0826.jpgDSC_0823.jpg
DSC_0812.jpgDSC_0798.jpgDSC_0781.jpg
And a comparison shot:
Red 5 Compare.jpg

Last edited:
So is it a resin case of the Maxi-Brute body?
Here is what Ray told me. It sounds like besides getting the basic shape from the Maxi-Brute, it totally had to be redone. "It had to be strengthened from within to be able to cut it open to form the two halves, open the cockpit, torpedo tubes, cut the droid strip out and be able to scribe and detail the surface so it was a ton of work to get it to a kit form."

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what Ray told me. It sounds like besides getting the basic shape from the Maxi-Brute, it totally had to be redone. "It had to be strengthened from within to be able to cut it open to form the two halves, open the cockpit, torpedo tubes, cut the droid strip out and be able to scribe and detail the surface so it was a ton of work to get it to a kit form."

Cool...

There are various X fuselages out there that all deserve respect and recognition (as we all know!). But personally, the Maxi-Brute is my preference, particularly re-worked as described.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool...

There are various X fuselages out there that all deserve respect and recognition (as we all know!). But personally, the Maxi-Brute is my preference, particularly re-worked as described.
I should start by saying that I have a Salzo V4 also and I like both kits. When I look at the two close together, I can definitely see some differences, although they are minute. The V4 fuselage is a little more beefy, for lack of better words, and the cockpit canopy appears to be a little wider at it's widest point. I think I remember reading somewhere that Mike did beef up the fuselage for the V4. The distance from the front of the cockpit to the nose also appears to be shorter on the V4, but I have not actually measured it to confirm this. I will have to look up the photo you did of previous comparisons of the different fuselages.

There was also some effort to add a slight curvature to the hull that I think the V3 didn't have? I talked to Dave Jones about this last year, and how a cupped hand, when sanding, can add a really subtle but wonderful organic element to what you assume is a slab sided structure. Mike definitely did his homework on the V4.

I love how over the years we inch closer and closer to a "hero" X-Wing. I still love the Captain Cardboard kits I first built over a dozen years ago, but it really is a testament to the community to see how we all have improved the model potential for the builders.

I can definitely see that slight curvature to the top/front of the fuselage now that you mention it. Very cool!

I can definitely see that slight curvature to the top/front of the fuselage now that you mention it. Very cool!

Does the Galactic Resin fuselage have any of the slight curvature to it as well? Or were you referring to just the Salzo V4?

Thanks

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back