Crackerjazz' Bandai 1/144 TFA Falcon

Re: Bandai 1/144 TFA Falcon - an even slower build

Hi Astro, I'll be decanting it as well. I actually sat through training videos (aka youtube, hehe). There's a method to it apparently -- They talk about using a straw, a bottle and some foil. Spraying the paint into the bottle...opening the lid a bit and letting it bubble for at least 24 hrs. I was thinking the paint would dry out if I leave the bottle open but they're saying it won't -- even if left for a week.

Hi Astro, I'll be decanting it as well. I actually sat through training videos (aka youtube, hehe). There's a method to it apparently -- They talk about using a straw, a bottle and some foil. Spraying the paint into the bottle...opening the lid a bit and letting it bubble for at least 24 hrs. I was thinking the paint would dry out if I leave the bottle open but they're saying it won't -- even if left for a week.
Thanks a ton. I'll totally look into this.

Worked on the actuators on the TFA Falcon's docking rings:

3QHkbpU.jpg

iRmftBS.jpg

JChCW6w.jpg

Used AWG30 gauge wire and cut up some strip styrene to shape.

AcxNn2O.jpg

F80KS4U.jpg

wrIqK7n.jpg

PAP7yWL.jpg

3OZDvoP.jpg

DlGcjNO.jpg

They should look good in paint.

Yeahhhh that's an excellent job!!

Did the other docking ring.

0CKEyGJ.jpg

0LIHyOd.jpg

SwHVjZl.jpg

wzSSCpv.jpg

bw7FQme.jpg

I'm done with actuators. I don't want to see any more, heheh.

x4UnoVK.jpg

Hi Astro, my decanting experiment went well today! I just followed the youtube vid to the letter and it went really smooth and mess-free :) Make sure you have the foil covering the opening, poke the straw through and spray away.

uxHCVyN.jpg

I let it de-gas for an hour or two before using it.

qwq8m84.jpg

Sprayed it on. The AS-20 basecoat looks pretty good, doesn't it?

0V3DgES.jpg

Thanks, John! I just wish there were a tutorial somewhere about how to weather this thing properly. I know fichtenfoo's method somehow blends the varying shades together and creates an interesting aged look. Do you know if this method was used by ILM at all on the 5-footer? It seems to me shades where all airbrushed on, right? Really envy your painting skills -- you have a knack for duplicating the ILM painting style.

8toROT2.jpg

This morning I was googling for 5-footer painting references and saw an image of a Crayola set. The bottom view was unmistakeable -- I zoomed to the nearest Toys R Us in lightspeed. The bottom cannon looks like a cut-and-paste. But other than that and the light dots it`s a beautiful 5-footer paint reference guide to post on the wall.

bhxme2p.jpg

Z6ZYzu7.jpg

THc7mRa.jpg

3QYhi0D.jpg

I'm surprised at the variations of hues on the underside. And there is what seems to be an unadulterated patch showing the base color -- whether that`s Floquil 50-50 or not, it seems to match the Tamiya AS-20 very closely. Anyway I`ll wait until I see the movie to see how the TFA Falcon looks onscreen. Just like everyone else I`ll be zooming in on the Falcon.

Fitchenfoo really made his own method. It isn't the 5 footer nor the 32". But the good thing is, it's right for the scale. And that is something to keep in mind.

My belief is that the 32" relied far more on spattering whereas the 5 footer used more layered chipping and airbrushing. Also, the five footer was really marked up by the dremel

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Lovely colour reference....

Heres a nice shot of the Falcon's underside from that last TV spot,....notice that the turret has turned forwards again:

Screen%20Shot%202015-12-16%20at%2007.45.04_1.png

J

notice that the turret has turned forwards again:

J

It'll drive me bananas if JJ just rotates the gunports without explaining it or if they use some cheap "seatbelts on the Enterprise" CG trickery to justify it. Hopefully, the finished shots in the movie just never show the disc rotated at all.

EDIT: It's also interesting to note the new paint scheme on the mandibles. The TFA version shows a definite darker hull base color than the plating. I guess Han decided to do some touch up painting while installing the new radar dish. :wacko

i'd say it's very unlikely they'd take the time in a fast paced star wars movie to explain how a turret rotates.
i wouldn't worry too much about it. after all, it's only a m...oh, well...you know....

i'd say it's very unlikely they'd take the time in a fast paced star wars movie to explain how a turret rotates.
i wouldn't worry too much about it. after all, it's only a m...oh, well...you know....

I'd normally agree, but if I've learned anything from being a Star Wars fan during the prequel era it's to nitpick everything, blow it up to a much bigger deal than it really is and then never, ever, EVER shut up about it. :angel:cheers

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back