The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

View attachment 624961View attachment 624962View attachment 624963

Making some progress and having a blast.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Looking great! Much further along then mine. I would encourage you to start a separate thread for your build. It is, of course, welcome here but there are likely to be quire a few builds eventually. It would be nice to be able to keep them straight!

Of course then we might get complaints from people having to wade through tons of Y-Wing threads just to find something else and get banished to a sub-forum. :lol

Looking great! Much further along then mine. I would encourage you to start a separate thread for your build. It is, of course, welcome here but there are likely to be quire a few builds eventually. It would be nice to be able to keep them straight!

Of course then we might get complaints from people having to wade through tons of Y-Wing threads just to find something else and get banished to a sub-forum. :lol
Thanks. I thought about that but since it's not going to be SS I figured I would just post a few quick picks. I'm using a few different models for reference and mixing it up. I'll start a new thread and everyone is welcome to post in it just so we can keep the thing contained. It would be nice to have everyone's builds together. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Of course it's Studio Scale, but let's not start that debate all over again! :D

Since this thread is going to include a lot of information on how I'm designing and patterning the model plus any Open Source changes that are contributed I think it would be better if other builds were separate. Just my TCW.

The Roto-Caster is working! I found the perfect DC gearmotor at C&H surplus in Duarte. And it was "plug'n'play" with the Minarik speed controller that I already had. The castings are coming out great. I'll try to post more pix in the next couple of days but I'm so thrilled with the RC that I had to dash off this iPhone video!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Looking great, can't wait!

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it's Studio Scale, but let's not start that debate all over again! :D

Since this thread is going to include a lot of information on how I'm designing and patterning the model plus any Open Source changes that are contributed I think it would be better if other builds were separate. Just my TCW.

Will do, I started a new thread.

Dave: is it possible to get orthographic views that we can print out full size? I have only had the fuselage printed so far because I noticed a kit part not fitting. In doing this, we'd be able to test out the dimensions before we do any other work to change them in 3D.

These orthographic views would help me very much, but I don't know how to manipulate the 3D model info in order to make them.

The problem, with the hurricane engine blocks being half a cylinder over the edge of the wings, might not be to just make the wing leading edge forward further if that change make another part of the fuselage too small to fit other parts.

I've also noticed the yoke piece that fits on the bottom might be a little narrow to fit the 25 pounder piece that goes there. And on the original, it has a notch in it as shown in this pic:

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 428
Dave: is it possible to get orthographic views that we can print out full size? I have only had the fuselage printed so far because I noticed a kit part not fitting. In doing this, we'd be able to test out the dimensions before we do any other work to change them in 3D.

These orthographic views would help me very much, but I don't know how to manipulate the 3D model info in order to make them.

The problem, with the hurricane engine blocks being half a cylinder over the edge of the wings, might not be to just make the wing leading edge forward further if that change make another part of the fuselage too small to fit other parts.

I've also noticed the yoke piece that fits on the bottom might be a little narrow to fit the 25 pounder piece that goes there. And on the original, it has a notch in it as shown in this pic:

Yeah the notch is to make room for the Hurricane assembly !

I have posted a folder with ortho views of the main fuselage in the repository folder. I'd like to encourage anyone with 3D modeling skills to contribute to this Open Source project by revising and reposting changes. I'm pretty busy molding and casting and don't have the time.

WD-40, miracle from the Gods....

How did the leggs came out of it? did you try to cut one in two halves to check the resin thickness?
Did it work as expected?

Oh yeah! The castings are great. I've had house guests this weekend so I haven't been able to take many more pictures but will soon. Here's one quick shot of the first casting, cut in half to check thickness. Overall thickness was about 1/8". I've reduced the about of resin by 25 percent to make them a bit thinner as they don't need to be quite so thick.

IMG_3547.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, I actually used a silicone based chain lube spray but I thought just saying "WD-40" was easier! :facepalm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back