Tie - Stick

Wavey

Sr Member
Just gathering the parts, so far.

TIEcont1B.jpg

I don't have any clear photos of this box in the Tie but odds are it's the same type of viewer as the larger one in the Falcon's cannon room, if not the actual same one. For this project, however, I'm going to use this Photax Planet 3. It's shorter in length than the larger Falcon type but the back end is the same size and being shorter I may leave the whole thing in one piece as the screen on the front looks great. Also this Planet 3 does 'not' have the shiny polished plastic band around the middle - as many/most black viewers do.

The Tie's box seems to be chopped up, with approximately a third of the back end used (perhaps the front screen end was used in the X-Wing?). One other puzzling thing about the Tie's control box is a screw approx in the middle of this end - this could be from the earliest first type of larger viewer but to my eyes the corners on that type of viewer seem to be too rounded to give a squared off look under certain lighting angles. As the screw is not actually seen on screen I don't mind using an original correct screw on this viewer.

I needed an excuse to grab these oxygen mask systems. The bigger tube doesn't have the casting line down the side but these units are in great unused condition and I knew the size of the tubes already.

Does anyone have experience of adding rubber paint to rubber, any ideas on what pruduct melds best? I may try and modify them.

I've had bad experiences with normal acrylic spray paint on rubber. It seems okay but after a while goes tacky and never cures completely.

I will be trying Plasti-dip next time.

Yea, Plasti-Dip is top of the list so far. I'm thinking, lay the tube in a mold that covers half of it then hand paint it on. I'll look into it.

Next up, the grips. Not a particularly rare item but hard to find at the right price, as they seem to have been bumped up just lately. Even if I could grab a couple I'm not sure I would use the real parts as they should be displayed in swish glass cabinets all by themselves - from a collector's point of view.

A work around for that personal dilema - find an earlier Mk1 design grip and have a go at building it, as the correct grip is an adapted version of the earlier style. I don't think there's a replica of the Tie grip out there so it will be interesting to see how the adaptation was worked out, back in the day - approx 1943 I believe.

The replica, I think, is a scratch build using all the proper dimensions and it turns out to be a really well thought out cast made in solid Jesmonite.

Last edited:
Every morn' I awaken at the crack of Dawn and chant "I no wanna SaberBlasterSpadeGrip", while Dawn makes the tea. The other morning I had coffee then this happened.... It's a slippery slope, I know.

Not exactly the one I was thinking of acquiring but I had to have this one - with it's 'pop-art' grip it will sit great next to the Lichtenstein, even without the 'fire control'. Some mods will have to be made to a firing/cam switch so the top connector plugs can be attached more permanently rather than just held on with string or wire as on the screen used version.

I got hose, from different area codes - this one from the USAF, as opposed to the RAF tubes above.

Looking at all the pics I've got of the controls, it looks like one 50-rib hose is cut almost in half but with 27 ribs on the left side and 23 on the right (as you look from the front). You can see in the pic the uneven number of ribs at the front end, the right side starting 2 ribs up compared to the left. If anyone has more photos or vids of this part it would be hugely appreciated, before I take a Stanley to it.

I knew the front fixing post with the 'rose joint' would be a problem to find but I don't think it will be strong or stable enough to last so I'm working on a more solid idea for the main load bearing support. This control case fits the bill though, a 50's design with rounded detailing inline with the rest of a Tie's greeblies - compared to the squared-off boxy look of the X-Wing. The front post may have to be fabricated and used as a sort of stabiliser, so far the easiest option.

Honestly I'm kinda oddly confused at the cluster of unique parts for this build...? I think? It looks cool though! :)

Confusing is exactly right at this point, lol, specially as the original must have cost a lot to make even back then and then we only get to see the top of it in the film. Hopefully when I get all the parts together for one complete control and get it into construction it will be a little clearer as a couple of people are looking to build their own with some spares I have. The end result should look like a cross between the orginal functioning control that you can sit behind and how a collector would display a war relic - if that helps at all. There will be more twists and turns as it progresses lol.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back