Need help with a rotating prop ! Urgent!

EggplantDreams

ATTENTION COSPLAYERS OR TECH SAVVY PEOPLE
I AM IN NEED OF HELP
I'm currently working on my sans cosplay (from undertale) and I had this cool idea that I really want to incorporate into my costume. I want to have a few bones hovering above my wrist, rotating around it. Me just explaining it doesnt do it much justice, so i drew a few examples. (Don't mind the skeleton hand) I was thinking about having a bracelet that has a motor inside that carries the items around my hand? Like there could be invisible rods that protrude out of the bracelet that connect onto the bones. I'm in no way a tech savvy person, and I was hoping someone could help me or point me in the right direction to get some help!! Thank you !!! <3

My vision-
http://imgur.com/PTTlBq1
http://imgur.com/9WkKhKa

that's going to be tricky.

your going to need to build some kind of bearings wheel wheel-bearings.jpgwith a tiny motor on it.
the idea is cool.....actually pulling it off would take a lot of time and skills!

I agree with ultraman, this would be technically challenging. The bearing wheel would be great if you can find one with a big enough inside diameter to get your wrist through and a small enough outside diameter that it is easily concealed. You may be able to notch the bones so that they fit over the wheel bearing and hide it. Then you could try to fit a small continuous rotation servo to drive the wheel bearing around. The whole thing would probably need to be built around a fairly rigid bracer.
Here's a crude sketch to illustrate what i was describing:
wristspinner.jpg
Or if the costume needs sleeves you could offset the bones with bent rods like so:
wristspinner2.jpg
Notice the cross section of the sleeve. The material would probably need to have a stand-off holding it safely away from the wheel and rods.

After looking at your sketches again, the second drawing seems like it would suit your desired 2" spacing away from the arm the best.

Last edited:
That is an awesome idea. A group of my friends and I are considering an undertale group cosply as well. Sans is a good one. I'd love to see a pictures if you go through with it.

Do you have access to a 3D printer? I have a few idea's but you would probably need to print out some parts to keep the weight and price down.

What do you have in the way of tools and craft supplies to make your own?
How much time do you have?

Things to consider:
* Power supply (external, wired and remote).
* Where will the motor be located (with your arm up the center, the motor will have to be located on the outside of the wrist gauntlet
or gloved hand)?
* The motor will need to be small with a gear driven shaft (for torque) or a small continuous rotation servo (this one will need servo control).
* The front spinning "slip ring" will need to be transparent so the bones look to be floating.
* It may possibly have to be made in two pieces or large enough to fit your hand up the center of the rotating ring.
* If the motorized gauntlet is large enough to fit your hand through (one piece set up), then you will need to use foam to keep the device
centered and some what secure.
* If you are wearing a glove, maybe the device can be built into that?

(my Rasengan)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqNnbZ67VAw

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back